2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Gbenda punches well above his weight class.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the team rankings using "player average." You can make a good argument this is smarter way to judge signing class quality. It lets teams who had smaller classes show up as tOSU does here with a class size of only 17 players. And exposes aggy a bit

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Another perspective to measure would be to look at the player average of the top 12 or 15 taken. Those are the most likely to play and matter, and it filters out the effect of just one or two low-ranked players (maybe even very good kickers or punters, or great players who don't have a predictable college position), from taking the average down when the top 12 or 15 are an awesome class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
  6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

That is somewhat how 247 does their points overall, but takes everyone into account. Their formula gives significant weight to the top prospects and little weight to the lowest rated prospects. so a large class with many low rated prospects would get very little credit for those.

I'm prone to look at player average above total points, because it tells the overall quality.

It would be interesting to your point, if they figured out what the limit would be on only taking the Top 12 to 15. How would they decide where the cutoff was?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Georgia Tech's GT OL Parker Braun will visit this weekend

" ..... Known for his motor, agility, and power, Braun doesn’t have a lot of experience in pass protection after playing in Johnson’s Flexbone offense, so that’s a potential concern. However, at 6’3 and 280 pounds, Braun has the feet and athleticism to adjust to pass protecting more often, as well as the technique that one would expect from a player coached by his father and from a family of offensive linemen, including his older brother, Trey, who also played at Georgia Tech.

In addition to technique, Braun’s motor and quickness jump out on film — he’s always hustling trying to make an extra block and gets there in a hurry since he’s so lean. As a pulling guard, he can get to the second level quickly, which could make him an asset in the running back and wide receiver screen game...."

Georgia Tech graduate transfer OG Parker Braun will visit Texas this weekend

#75, playing LG

• Like Like x 5
  8. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

This guy could be as important for 2019 as Calvin Anderson was for 2018. I have only read a little but I really like what i've read. Hope he picks Texas!

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And, if so, hopefully he does not chase anyone into the portal

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something from TFB about Bru McCoy's dad --

"Bru McCoy’s transfer/commitment to Texas could pay huge dividends in California. Bru’s father, Horace is a well known, well liked and well-respected gentleman in the area. The families heed his counsel and he’s not shy about pushing the Longhorns out there."

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Braun visit was moved the Mar 1
    Here is something from Inside Texas, after talking to his father

"He's 287 right now and was 305 pounds when he left high school. Weight is a non-issue, you can see guys playing well in the 280's in the NFL."

"Parker's impression of Tom Herman after having visited U of H ".... he came home impressed with Herman, said he was a sharp guy. I told him, 'if he's that sharp he won't be there in two years.'" Good call....

-- Parker's decision to leave GT was to enhance both his academic and playing experience. Academics were mentioned before football on numerous occasions. On the NFL -- "there's a difference between being a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. Like, will you have to work again difference. We want to get to a point where there are no 'nos' when a question is asked about him. When it's asked if a player can do something, you don't want to hear 'no.'" He stated Parker can pass block perfectly fine but that he could benefit from going up against better competition, "both in games and in practice."

-- Changing schools signals to the NFL ranks that he can learn different systems and that he's adaptable; that he's mature and not afraid to take on the challenge of a new town and new situation just like when he gets drafted.

-- This recruiting process isn't about recruiting, it's about business. "It's not about getting wined and dines. Guys in high school being recruited are looking for different things than a guy with 6-8 months left." .....

Timeline: "We're not in a hurry but then again we can't wait too long because of the application process." Sounds like a decision later on in March is in the works.

The Inside Scoop - 2/11/19 (Part I) - Inside Texas

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Remember how everyone on this board was hysterical that Anderson didn’t make up his mind in 1-2 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The bottom one
    Hit play, turn on volume

• Funny Funny x 10
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Thanks for making my morning, Joe! It doesn't get any better. :fiestanana:
    OU sucks and aggy is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Grad transfer OL RJ Proctor (6’4,335) will also be in town this weekend

" ....Proctor (6-4, 335) suffered a knee injury in fall camp and missed the season opener, and he played a limited role until Virginia’s 28-14 win at Duke.

He started six games this season at left guard, including the Cavaliers’ 28-0 win over South Carolina in the Belk Bowl. His return to the starting lineup in late October seemed to inject some life into the interior of the offensive line, which played one of its best games of the season against the Gamecocks and opened the way for 205 rushing yards.

Even after his return to the starting lineup, though, Proctor was on a snap count. He rotated most games..."

Virginia offensive lineman R.J. Proctor announces he will transfer

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another grad transfer OL is Drew Richmond (6'5,316) from little ut
    Some writer for an FSU site wrote that Texas is the favorite to land him
    First Ive heard of this
    The quote --

"Still pursuing [Richmond], he's got a ton of interest, close to 40 offers. Spoke to someone close to his recruitment yesterday and was told Texas is the favorite to land him right now. Doesn't sound like FSU is gonna be the school, but I know Taggart has been speaking with him."

Drew Richmond, Tennessee, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 3
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Three transfers!!!!

That would be freaking awesome and would completely put my mind at ease with the line next season.

It would also allow us to work in the younger guys like Reese Moore, Christian Jones, and Rafiti Ghirmai a little slower. Not to mention we can then red-shirt all the true freshmen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Any grad trasfer DLs out there?

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think we have the numbers. Just need to upgrade in talent via normal recruiting

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Braun seems like a perfect fit--for him and for our team.

Quote from his Dad: "He's 287 right now and was 305 pounds when he left high school. Weight is a non-issue, you can see guys playing well in the 280's in the NFL." I strongly agree. His film shows him pushing around much bigger linemen and he showed very strong against Clemson's vaunted defensive front. He's stronger than his weight would indicate because he's not as fat as most OL.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Jeff Howe of 247 on why and where we need GT OLs --

" .... The interior of the offensive line is where the Longhorns could use a buffer before redshirt junior Tope Imade, redshirt freshmen Junior Angilau and Rafiti Ghirmai or true freshman spring enrollee Tyler Johnson are looked at as the best available options. Derek Kerstetter has started 15 of the 24 games in which he’s played over two seasons with the Longhorns with four of those starts coming at right guard in 2018, but Kerstetter’s experience is really all the Longhorns have to speak of with Elijah Rodriguez and Patrick Vahe out of eligibility.

On top of Kerstetter’s guard experience, his role as the backup center might be most important to the Longhorns considering 2018 first-team All-Big 12 center Zach Shackelford has been forced to miss time due to injury in each of his first three seasons in the program. Not wanting to leave anything to chance, and mentioning the coaches like the progress being made by Imade and JP Urquidez to help from a depth standpoint, Herman said the Longhorns would love to bring in a veteran presence to bolster a group of young, talented prospects in the trenches.

With Calvin Anderson coming off of a year where he started all 14 games at left tackle for the Longhorns, earned honorable mention All-Big 12 recognition and is currently preparing for the 2019 NFL Draft after arriving as a graduate transfer from Rice, Herman is hopeful that success can help the Longhorns entice one of their top options to join the fold. “It would be more of an experience issue for us to patch a hole,” Herman said. “Maybe just for one more season before this young crew of kids that we've got a lot of faith in their development until they really, really start coming into their own.”

RJ Proctor to visit as Texas looks for grad transfer O-line help

22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Joe - I still got tears in my eyes from laughing at that Kapwing video of the Spanish speaking guy talking about aggy recruiting and HIS LAUGH !!!

:lmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I probably should have given a "put down your beverage" warning

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Make room for Big Willie! Willie Tyler is a 6'7, 330 OT from Iowa Western Community College who wuill have 4 years to play 3 seasons of elgibility

".... Originally thought to be a Dec 2019 graduate and a 2020 spring enrollee, Tyler is set to graduate in May and would then be immediately eligible to join his program of choice thereafter..... A Racine, Wisc. native, Tyler met with offensive line coach Herb Hand last month .... Tyler (says) his relationship with Hand got off on the right foot and the Longhorns definitely had his attention. “I stayed up to date pretty well before they even contacted me,” Tyler said. “Growing up, I played for the Longhorns, and I always wanted to play for them in college. Ever since then, I have been staying up on them since the Colt McCoy days.”

Longhorns bringing in JUCO O-lineman for weekend official visit

• Like Like x 3
  25. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Free Willie to come to UT!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3-star DT from NC (6'5,290)

• Like Like x 1
  27. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

North Carolina. Did Mack steal him?

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some Q&A from the AAS with 4-star OL Isaiah Hookfin

At what age did you fall in love with football?
    In eighth grade, I hit someone for the first time in pads and never looked back to baseball or basketball.

What made Texas your choice?
    The vibe and the coaching staff are awesome and I didn’t experience that anywhere else.

What was the toughest part of the recruiting process?
    The noise put on you by everyone talking about where I should go instead of of waiting on me to make my decision.

What word would you use to describe Tom Herman?
    Leader.

What is your role as a Longhorn?
    I would describe my future role as a physical leader rather than a verbal leader. I’ll play offensive tackle.

Favorite athlete of all-time?
    Jonathan Ogden.

Favorite sport to watch other than football?
    Any type of racing. I’ve always loved muscle cars.

The Dotted Line: Commitment Q&A with Texas' four-star offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin | Hookem.com

• Like Like x 1
  30. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 1