2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We're #11 on Rivals. Our average star rating is higher than Aggy. But as we know, the Rivals rankings are based upon the total points accumulated. They have 25 commits to our 16.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Hey Joe, love the updates! Like many on here I’m kind of a junkie love following the recruiting. Do you know on these official visits what kind of swag we are authorized to give out? I know on bowl games the can receive a $500 gift. Is there a $ amount, and do you know what we give? It looks like they get a lanyard w/ name tag I’m sure they can keep, anything else?
    Also I’d love to know what a typical day would look like. Anyone gone on these as a recruit, or with a son?

4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

4 star RB Derrian Brown commits to Texas.

"Brown, a 5-foot-10, 180 pound back from Buford, Georgia chose the Longhorns today. Texas beat out 29 other schools for Brown’s commitment including Penn State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, and Ohio State among many others."
    Brown commits to Texas - Inside Texas

• Like Like x 7
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Looks like all the recruits were impressed. I really liked the comments about commits pressuring recruits to commit, but it sounds like everyone was very impressed with the electric environment and how we dominated.

Texas routs USC in front of talented group of recruits

• Like Like x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As I have posted before, I do not recall ever having so many recruits and family members in the endzone area during warmups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CdC has moved recruits one section closer to the 50 than they have been. Nice touch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

New Coaches poll is out

1 Alabama(60) 3-0 1572 —
    2 Clemson(2) 3-0 1477 —
    3 Georgia 3-0 1436 —
    4 Ohio State(1) 3-0 1405 —
    5 Oklahoma (SUCKS) 3-0 1339 —
    6 LSU 3-0 1171 7
    7 Stanford 3-0 1116 2
    8 Notre Dame 3-0 1083 —
    9 Penn State 3-0 1070 1
    10 Virginia Tech 2-0 927 1
    11 Auburn 2-1 921 4
    12 Washington 2-1 909 —
    13 West Virginia 2-0 824 2
    14 Mississippi State 3-0 780 2
    15 Oklahoma State 3-0 672 4
    16 Wisconsin 2-1 626 10
    17 TCU 2-1 508 3
    18 UCF 2-0 500 —
    19 Oregon 3-0 384 4
    20 Miami 2-1 373 —
    21 Michigan 2-1 354 1
    22 Texas A&M 2-1 150 NR
    23 Michigan State 1-1 141 1
    24 Boise State 2-1 114 7
    25 Boston College 3-0 109 NR

Aggies make their one and only appearance in the top 25. The way I see it, they have 4 more losses on their schedule, that doesn't include USCe and Ole Miss who are toss up games.
    Hopefully this will slow down some of their recruiting success.

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think LSU should be ahead of OU and possibly Ohio State given they beat Miami and Auburn.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Aggie class is full at 25. They can only go down.

10. LonghornMD

LonghornMD 100+ Posts

As a recruit on an OV, you get your transportation and meals paid for. Hosts (the players on the team that you stay with.... usually on campus but not mandatory) are usually given some $ for incidentals like "snacks", etc (but it's not a lot of $). But no "swag". If you want a t-shirt or sweatshirt or cap, you're supposed to buy it with your own money. Supposed to.

Typical weekend: a coach picks you up at the airport, or meets you on campus if you drive in. Coach brings you to campus, drives you around, shows you the athletic facilities (stadium, locker rooms, practice fields) and then brings you to the coaches offices, where your host(s) meet you. Host then takes you to drop your stuff off at their dorm room (or off campus apartment), showing you the campus and introducing you to people as you go. After you drop your stuff off, your host walks you through campus and brings you to meet up with other players on the team and any other recruits visiting. Then you hang out, which could be anything from playing video games to grabbing a snack to drinking alcohol (yes, alcohol is quite often consumed on these recruiting visits, never in the presence of the coaches though). At night, the players usually take you to a party, where there's booze and lots of co-eds. Your host usually talks you up as being the next phenom :rolleyes1:. How the night goes from there is variable. You usually always meet up with a coach at least once each day you're there for a meal, at which time they make certain that you're having a good time and answer any questions. The other meals you usually eat with your host, other players, and other recruits. Before you leave, you meet back up with the coaches at their offices, where they "recap" the visit, ask you if you have any questions, tell you what they can offer you in terms of scholarship and education and ask you what you think. Sometimes they act nonchalant, and sometimes they give you a hard sell and pressure you for an answer.

Note: recruiting visits in-season are a bit different then out-of-season. Obviously in-season, you go to the game and the current players don't drink/party the night before. Out-of-season, you'll often go to another sporting event on campus to get the feel of school spirit.

This was based on my experiences. But every trip was different.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  11. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Great stuff, thank you sir!

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Jacoby Jones to ou

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CB (Wiltfong) in for 4-star WR Marcus Washington (St. Louis) to Texas

" ... Washington seems to have a keen eye for the big stage on the next level and Texas certainly meets that criteria..... After talking to a source Monday morning I like the Longhorns position with the highly-recruited Washington .... The 6-foot-2, 191-pound Washington is a priority recruit for Tom Herman and his staff. The Longhorns would love to add him to a class that currently ranks No. 9 nationally, good for No. 2 in the Big 12 per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite .... Washington himself is the nation's No. 26 receiver and No. 157 prospect overall. He checks in at No. 3 in the state of Missouri...."
    247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: Top247 WR to Texas

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB likes our chances with 5-star RB Trey Sanders (IMG)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

"Likes our chances" as in greater than 50% likely? I'd be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is their quote --

"I checked with a source on how things went with Trey Sanders. Remember, that while I was in Georgia a source out there told me Texas quietly leads?

I asked a source about Sanders visit and the response I received was…

”I think we got him”.

Stay tuned here as Texas has positioned themselves very well in his recruitment at this time."

Open Post | Monday, September 17th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

• Like Like x 3
  19. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have a feeling you will see some attrition this year from the WR spot. I think we lose CJ and there is a good chance we lose LJ to the NFL. This is Heard's last year as well. That pretty much leaves Duvernay and Josh Moore as our most experienced returning wide outs next year. There will still be lots of talent in Brennan Eagles, Alvante Woodard, and Jordan Pouncey, and possibly D'Shawn Jamison.
    I could honestly see us taking two or 3 more WR in this cycle. Texas has no shortage of talent to chose from and we are still in on guys like Washington and Bru McCoy so for me it's still the least concerning position we need to address, I'm much more worried about Oline and DT, but it does bare following.

20. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That would send a sweet message to the Aggys and backs like Cain and Evans. We need keep winning in order to close the deal.

21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Can’t argue with that. LSU looks legit so far.

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We do seem to have a higher than normal out of state % of commits and prospects. I worry that if we don't maintain the current momentum on the field that it will be easy for them to decide to stay home.

Stay tuned I guess!

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

LSU does look legit even if the Convicts are an example of ACC power (not).

24. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I read little into Miami.... overrated every year. But the win over Auburn greatly impressed.
    Speaking of overrated every year....B1G???

25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Now who was the island kid we just lost to USC?
    Perhaps he would have been wise to wait until after the game decide...

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Has it been quieter with Cain? He's the Texas native. Obviously we take Sanders no matter what, but Cain would be the 2nd best in the class. I'd love Sanders and Cain, but wonder what Cain and Brown would think? We only took one back last year.

27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I thought Cain was now zeroed in on LSU, I would take either one of Cain or Saunders, but for now we have neither so hopefully we can continue to win and show improvement.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

But a recruiting visit to a game in a stadium all the way across town (travel time, think 40 acres to Georgetown) to play in front of a crowd smaller than a Caldwell home game.

OR, if the convicts play FSU, Florida, ND at Joe Robbie, the "fans" have ridden the shuttle from either their favorite crack house, tattoo parlor, trailer park, or the Dade/Broward County jail.

Visiting Convict Gables is all hype, and definitely an adventure in cultural diversity. What recruit would want to play games, where their mother, sister, girlfriend were afraid to go to the restroom>

29. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Sanders not Saunders

30. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I’m sure each school is different, going after a different type of young man. I remember reading a story on DGB’s recruitment some stuff went on that really ticked his mother figure off. They really liked Mack, but Austin was too far. Chose Mizzu. What a freak, but the curse continued.