2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

All the analysis I read the last few days about Rickea suggested that she was doing extremely well; very complimentary words led me to believe that she would be a shoe-in. Very odd.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Happy for Celeste. Believe this will be her second time representing the USA. I think we got a real gem. Keep seeing her listed at 5'11. So, perhaps she has the length to play SF/W for us in addition to SG.

As for the highly-ranked in-state 2019 shooting guards, neither Jordyn Oliver nor Nyah Green made it the 18 finalists.

• Like Like x 9
  3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

There isn't a single player from Texas on the roster!

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2020 Hannah Gusters was one of the 6 players trimmed today. The 2019 class in-state hasn't appeared as strong as recent/future ones, IMO.

• Like Like x 5
  6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Which also explains why coach Aston is recruiting more out of state in 2019.

• Like Like x 4
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. Other than Jaden Owens, what other uncommitted Texas players have offers? I was never clear on Liz Scott’s status.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Endyia Rogers.

Although skilledup on Baylor board recently said that we were recruiting Scott hard and that she really wanted to go to Baylor, I still have only seen social media about her and A&M. She seems to be a player who is 6'1, but has the skills of an inside player (maybe like Jordan Hosey?).

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Great for Celeste! Rickea's reviews were stellar, so go figure on that one. What was the problem, coaches? Though she didn't make the final cut, Gusters is sounding very impressive. These players are so young, who knows who will end up being the top players as they develop? I'm not so sure the state of Texas doesn't have some great talents in these years --- Deja, Andrews, Scott, Rogers, and Gaston, who apparently was invited but didn't get to go. (I actually get the classes mixed up. Not sure who is '19 and who is '20). Zia Cooke sounds really special to me, and from the small amount of tape I saw. It's exciting that Prechtel has us in her top 3. UConn and ND seem to think they have dibs on Bueckers, Boston, Brink, Horston, probably Van Lith. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Gusters, Deja, Andrews, Gaston are 2020. There is good in-state talent in 2019 but it’s definitely a drop off as a class from 2018 and projected 2020. I know rankings are not everything but 4 of the Top 10 nationally in 2018 were Texas kids (6 of the Top 13). 2019? 1 in the Top 10, 3 in the Top 25.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Tweet from Rickea's mom. Tough day for Rickea and her family. (Jordan Horston and Zia Cooke are sitting beside her.)

• Like Like x 4
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Shows the level of competitor she is and how much it means to her - both very positive. It stings now but if she turns it into something that fuels her drive to excel, she will be rewarded in the long run.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Premier Basketball’s Roundup of the U17 trials:

Surprise Cuts - Ashten Prechtel was listed as a surprise cut by 2 of the 3 contributors
    Ashten Prechtel– I thought Prechtel showed the mobility and skills around the rim to be affective.. She showed that you must honor her from the high post area and out to the three-point line.. She scored the ball inside with either hand. She has gotten stronger and more agile.
    Ashten Prechtel– Along with Andrews, my biggest surprise cut. I tabbed her on my final 12 before the cut from 40 to 18 because of her ability to shoot from the 5-spot.
    Sarah Andrews - I thought she was the best defensive guard at the trials. Shot really well. Played at the deepest position at the trials.

Other Texas Target Mentions:
    Haley Jones– To me, hands down, the best player at the U17 Trials overall. There is not a part of the floor in which she is uncomfortable. She is a two-way player and displays IQ on both ends. She rebounds, she defends, she is a good passer, and has the skills to score the ball in a variety of ways.. Having been cut here before, she could have easily pressed a bit, but she is cool and calm at all times. She is smooth with the ball in her hands.. and knows the subtleties of playing without the ball. Her versatility is very key… absolute HOOPER.
    Rickea Jackson– The word versatility nowadays used a bit overused when describing basketball players because most of the time people mean it to mean players are “potentially versatile”.. NOT in this case. Jackson can legitimately play the 2-4 positions and did so at the trials. She is explosive to the rim, is a major problem when she rebounds to push the ball, and has a nice touch on the jumper. Defensively, she can be an absolute lock down spot. She is an incredible finisher and a matchup problem. She has a quite competitive nature that is really intriguing.
    Jordan Horston– I termed Horston “Little Penny”. Horston’s ability to create for others off the bounce stood out as soon as the games began. Flashed the ability to finish in traffic off the bounce. Showed easy 3-ball range both off the bounce and catch. Good use of length defensively with the ability to guard any perimeter position.
    Zia Cooke– One of the more entertaining players to watch. Pushes pace on the break. Has the ball on a string. Elite “bunnies” allow for finish over bigger defenders when attacking the paint. Dimes off the bounce… Will hit the 3-ball if defenders go under the screen. Harassing on-ball pressure defender…
    Hannah Gusters– Anybody who knows me will tell you if a Duncanville Pantherette is in the mix, I’m going to write about her. The next in a long line of hoopers to come out of the Texas powerhouse, Gusters made her presence felt throughout the weekend. Does the work early in creating deep post position. Excellent touch in the paint. Will face up and hit you out to 15-18 feet consistently with emerging ability from the 3-point line at the top of the key. Active post presence defensively and on the boards…
    Ashten Prechtel - Prechtel walked into her high school years with high exceptions largely because of her size and potential. With an up and down career so far, she put together a solid USA Trials. We started to see what the complete package for Prechtel can look like when she adds strength. She can score with a variety of moves in the low post plus step out to knock down the three off the catch. Though Prechtel didn’t make the final 18, she showed that her best basketball is ahead of her.

Link: https://premierbasketballreport.com/news/2018-u17-usa-basketball-trials

• Like Like x 3
  16. LutherIsMyDog

A nice Twitter exchange between Rickea Jackson and Celeste Taylor.

I love how Celeste Taylor is always representing the Horns in her photos and her Tweets. IMO she will be a leader on the court and behind the scenes.

• Like Like x 6
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

me, too!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What does that Heart (love?) and "UT '23" with eyes mean? That she wants Rickea to join her at Texas?

• Like Like x 3
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Yes, that was my interpretation that she's nudging Rickea to come to Texas. In other words, "I'm looking at you Rickea"

• Like Like x 3
  20. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Speculating about these things is kind of fruitless, but, Zia being Rickea's bestie, maybe they will be a package somewhere. (Here?) Obviously they are tight with Celeste, too.

• Like Like x 3
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Anybody know who ladylynn22 is?

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Jordan Horston.

• Like Like x 2
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Well, we'll take her, too.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We're not among Horston's finalists.

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  26. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 2
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Celeste shot up 20+ spots.

• Like Like x 6
  28. LutherIsMyDog

A Tweet from Rickea Jackson upon dealing with the disappointment of not making the USA U17 team.

• Like Like x 5
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Celeste highlights from Team USA Trials...

• Like Like x 7
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For those who have wondered about Liz Scott, she retweeted something about A&M again recently. They are the only school I have ever seen her retweet about: