2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Man, it's hard to go head to head with Stanford for a recruit. Especially after they get accepted there. But, you can't blame her really. She'd be up against some serious competition here for playing time in the fall of 2019.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Yes, with Charli, Sedona, and Joyner right above her, I can see that being a little daunting. Hopefully, we come back with Gusters the next year. (Ashten needs to do a little research on her new school --- University of Stanford?)

• Like Like x 2
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Getting Hannah would definitely be the best possible outcome of Ashten choosing Stanford.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Well Darn! Truthfully this is one I wish we hadn't missed on but it is tough to turn down Stanford. That's one of the big girls off my list of 2019 potentials.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Did not make Horston’s (semi-)finalists.

6. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

UCLA and Louisville make just about every recruit's list (and increasingly Tennessee). I think Horston is a strong UConn lean, but we'll see.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We've been out of it for Horston for quite while. I believe her Mom stated which schools she would take official visits to, and we weren't listed. Believe she has already taken official visits to UCLA and North Carolina; so, no use announcing semi-finalists when you already announced 2 (and maybe more) of your 5 official visits, and took those visits.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

My bet for Horston is either Ohio State or North Carolina. Wonder if losing her interest led to the late offer to Liz Scott?

9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Jaden Owens will announce on Friday. She's been quiet about her recruitment. Any guesses which school she'll pick?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

She’s coming to Texas. That’s my best guess!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Interesting.

The only official visit she tweeted about having taken was UCLA with Horston and Prechtel.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep, that’s what makes me think that it isn’t Texas

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When a Texas kid takes only one out-of-state official visit, it's either that school or an in-state school that she's very familiar with already (like Texas or Baylor).

If you think back to summer of 2016, Chasity Patterson took on official visit to UCLA; no other reports of official visits. A month or so later, she verbally commits to Texas.

And, of course, it's always possible that Jaden has taken other official visits or camped somewhere this month, but didn't tweet about it.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I didn't realize "crystal ball" predictions was a thing n women's hoops recruiting like in football recruiting:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looked through the Likes on her tweet - the only identifiable coach that I saw was a UCLA assistant. At the very least they seem to like their chances.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, in this situation, if we were gonna be the choice you have to believe Jaden would have attended our summer camp a couple of weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agree. I think she goes to UCLA.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Last year, Karen would often provide Twitter hints that something good would be happening, which was typically followed by the announcement of a commitment. Other than the photo of Jaden Owens' home visit in March with Karen and Jamie, there have been no social media breadcrumbs to follow between Owens and the coaches.

Does anyone recall if Jaden took an official visit to Texas?

20. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Jaden Owens will not be committing to Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Official visits for 2019 recruits were permissible beginning in like April or May of 2018. Jaden tweeted about her official visit to UCLA. That was it. Nothing else in social media. Of course, that doesn't mean that she didn't make any others.

We did go a long time wondering if we were even recruiting Owens; then, we saw our coaches (and Baylor's) make an in-home visit with her in March. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we offered a scholarship.

Later, we see in social media that Texas offered PG Endyia Rogers out of the metroplex.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, Oakman, any updates on Rickea Jackson or Zia Cooke? Did they camp anywhere this summer, or start making any official visits? Texas still involved?

• Like Like x 1
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m not really concerned with post player recruiting for 2019 because we already have Charlie and Sedona. But IMO we have to at least get a PG for this class.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

My concerns with the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes change as often as our roster changes due to attrition and injuries; just this offseason we lost 3 players who mostly played power forward: Rellah, Khaleann, and Jordan. Where would be this coming season if not for Charli decommitting from UConn and signing with us? Pretty much Joyner would be it at power forward.

So, as of late, it seemed like we were only targeting Prechtel as a 2019 frontcourt recruit; not sure where we prioritized Taylor Jones, but her early verbal commitment to Oregon State makes that a moot point now. But, us only recruiting those two (in hopes of signing one) could have been because the staff was expecting Rellah to be part of the program. Recruiting and building relationships is a months and year long process; so, once our staff realized Rellah wasn't going to work out on the team, it was probably too late to start pursuing new targets for 2019 to fill her slot.

The only other front court player we had been linked to for 2019 was Angel Jackson out of California. But, she is more of a Center prospect; and, it's been months since we've read anything about her.

Not signing a frontcourt player in 2019 puts the pressure on for the 2020 class. Have only seen us linked to Hannah Gusters, Kamaria Gipson, and Deyona Gaston. So, would need to sign two in that class, IMO.

At point guard, it's just so much more complicated to balance the roster depth. For the most part, elite point guards want the ball in their hands so they can run the offense; some are wiling to slide over to the shooting guard spot, but not all. Ideally, if we are talking pure point guards, I prefer we sign one every other year so there are always two on the roster. So, the spacing between Brooke and Sutton was good; two years. But, getting Chasity one class after Sutton was both good and bad; it helped us with depth, and Chasity is such a good shooter that she has the skills to play SG, too. But, having Sutton and Patterson in consecutive classes was gonna make it tough to sign another PG in 2019; most of us weren't even sure we were recruiting any for the longest time.

If 2018 Joanne Allen-Taylor can be a combo guard, we'll be in good shape even without signing a true PG in the 2019 class. And, that could put us in better shape with 2020 PG Sarah Andrews. But, come the 2021, we once again have PG depth issues. Hindsight being what it is, would almost have been better to redshirt Chasity Patterson this past season and we wouldn't have these concerns right now.

Honestly, I have some hope that Audrey could play some point-forward. She might not have the speed we are used to from our smaller guards who have run the point in the past, but she comes with the reputation as a good passer and a player who sees the court very well and makes good decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Absolutely. I’ve always felt that it was a good thing that the 2019 class in Texas wasn’t as strong because we truly don’t necessarily have a NEED at any position. At least two years separation is also the best for each position. Also, Baylor and South Carolina are basically in the same situation as Texas when it comes to 2019 recruits, especially at the PG position.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  26. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Either one has taken any officials as of yet but plan on it. Zia is getting ready for usa while Rikea has July aau coming up. Texas from what I’ve been told is very much in the race for them both. other serious candidates are South Carolina, Tennessee and Louisville. I know they are planning official for Texas but I don’t know when my guess would be this fall.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, we definitely didn't seem to target a huge number of 2019 recruits; so, I think 3 signees total including Celeste seems most likely now as some targets are committing elsewhere. That allows 5 'ship for the loaded in-state 2020 class.

So, in-state for 2019, our remaining options appear to be Endyia Rogers and Liz Scott. We offered both relatively late (compared to others).

It's tougher to lure the out of state kids from different regions, but Zia Cooke, Rickea Jackson, and Angel Jackson are possibilities; but we have yet to hear from any of them that we are among their Top 5 schools. We were listed by the super-talented Canadian forward the last time she trimmed her list of schools; so, time will tell if we are still in the picture for her.

Obviously, I would feel better about a smaller 2019 class if we had other 2020 verbal commitments already in addition to Deja Kelly.

• Like Like x 3
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

An article about Kennedy Brown, who I know Texas is NOT getting:
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...-height-versatility-kansas-girls-hoops-courts
    What irks me is this is what I call lazy reporting. From the article:
    Brown says she is now down to six schools after eliminating Tennessee: UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Baylor and Oregon. Her plan is to not take all five official visits -- she's shooting for three -- and then make a decision in the fall.

Yes, that's fine but who are the 6 schools left? They give a link to their HoopGurlz site and that site lists those eliminated schools as candidates!

Well, at least she's not going to Baylor.

30. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

This is the first time I have heard Angel Jackson listed as a possibility for Texas? Have you got some inside information? Now Aijha Blackwell was mentioned in a previous post as having Texas in her top 12. I would be surprised if Blackwell has a firm offer. These 2nd and 3rd tier kids have to be told by Coaches that Texas for example has 5 or 6 firms offers out and if any of these fail to happen you will get a firm offer.