2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  2. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

192 cm = 6 feet and 3.59055 inches
    I hate it when people are not accurate. Nice catch dadave!

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Some belated news about Endyia. Good showing on the Nike U17 Girls Elite Youth Basketball League.

High praise from Endyia's coach.

• Like Like x 5
  4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I am super excited about the two commitments Texas has for 2019 but I'm feeling pessimistic about adding more great players to the class. Maybe its the weather. It is not as if I have any actual information. To my eye, the roster looks pretty solid for next year, but a small class this year could put a lot of pressure on recruiting for 2020.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Two more OVs to go for Endyia before she makes her decision.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

3 years playing in the Alzheimer’s All Star Classic, 3 MVPs for Celeste.

• Like Like x 10
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Maori Davenport committed to Rutgers Friday per ESPNW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not a surprise considering both her father and brother played at Mizzou . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Did her mom play at Kansas? Would explain how they made the Final 3.

11. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It will be interesting to see how fits into Missouri’s system.

12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well, that's a bummer, but somewhat unsurprising?

And uhhhh, Miss State suddenly has open scholarships. Hunh

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

14. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Did not know that Texas was eliminated by Rickea, "Where Jackson ends up at college is still a mystery, but she has narrowed her list to Mississippi State, Rutgers and South Carolina. Schools that were previously under consideration include Louisville, Tennessee, Ohio State and Texas."

Women's basketball prospect Rickea Jackson narrows list to Mississippi State, Rutgers, South Carolina

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’d assume that closes the door on Zia Cooke as well.

16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Well unsure if we can assume that Zia Cooke is out of the picture for Texas as well? Zia and Rickea seemed to have been joined at the hip during the recruiting process. I would bet Zia's announcement will following along with Rickea.

Endyia Rogers may be the last potential commitment we have a chance to pick up in this recruiting cycle. Which is a very good thing. She is getting a lot of praise from the prognosticators.
    A three person class of:
    Endyia Rogers, Celeste Taylor and our Aussie, Ashlee Hannan would be fine. As has been mentioned in many posts the 2020 class will now be a major focus with tons of Texas talent to recruit! Let the season begin!!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Laeticia Amihere?

18. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Zig Latecia has already eliminated Texas from her final list of choices.

19. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Some of those 2020 recruits looking more critical now. But, hey, there is still the 2019 spring and summer transfer festival ....:rolleyes1::smile1:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Got it.

A bit off topic, but I was struck by Aston's most recent press conference. We all know she practices a defense-first philosophy, but it appears she wants to push that even further this year. Comparing the Final Four teams to her team, she thought we came up short in the dedication and effort necessary to field an elite defensive team.

With the crippling injuries we'll have to manage this year, it sounds like the team has some challenges in developing a starting five that can make that happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  21. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Hoop you make a very good point. Grad transfers is a relatively new element to adding players to the roster. There could well be someone who emerges this off season that could make an impact to this recruiting class.

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Would be great if we found a JUCO out there so as to help balance the 2-person class of Chasity and Destiny; ideally, a small forward 6'0+ who could shoot from the perimeter would be hitting the jackpot.

• Like Like x 2
  23. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I have to wonder if attendance numbers and student enthusiasm aren't factors in girls' decisions about whether to come here. I really hope this is being addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m sure it’s somewhat of a factor but every recruit is different.

25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Plus attendance is ticking upwards.

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Endyia on what I am pretty sure is her last official visit. Personally I don’t get all the love for USC women’s sports when their AD openly disrespects them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

That's good! I wasn't aware of that. Do you know by how much?

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well....... yes and no.

Google tells me: Women's Basketball Attendance

And here is one telling screenshot:

[​IMG]

Specifically the increase from 2016 to 2017 was (gulp) 823.

Many of you remember the "Jody days" when they opened up the upper tier for overflow and I wish we could get back to those days. The "content" (team play) is just as good as the old days, but I don't know how to get butts in seats.

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, this only happened for select games. I wish attendance had been consistently that high.

Discussing attendance, it has not always been good. In the year prior to winning the national crown in 1985-86, attendance was only 2,290 a game. It jumped the 1985-86 season to 4,264. Attendance peaked two seasons later at 8,841. After declining for several years to a low of 5,740, in 1993-94, attendance reached over 7,400 for the next four seasons with a high of 8,009 in the 1994-95 season. Those four years were followed by a decline in the next six seasons reaching 5,356 in 2001-02. The next year, the run to the final four resulted in attendance topping out at 5,398. But the promise of that run got attendance up to 7,191 the following season. Failure to reach the final four the next two years was met with declining attendance to 5,636 in 2005-06.

Jody’s last season as head coach was seen by 5,044 in the stands. Gail Goestenkors taking over as head coach resulted in an uptick in attendance to 5,452 in her first year.

Attendance continued to drop through Karen’s first three seasons to a low of 3,385 in 2014-15. The last three seasons since has seen an uptick in attendance beginning in 2015-16 of 3,700; 2016-17 of 3,813 and last season of 4,636.

It’s a slow process but as long as the team keeps winning and reaching deep into the NCAAs, attendance will continue to grow. The biggest thing, imo, is how to get students wanting to come to the games. Less than a 100 per game, and that being generous imo, is not going to work. Students provide an energy and enthusiasm that will greatly enhance the atmosphere at the games. They can easily pump up attendance by several hundred per game and create a loud and rowdy atmosphere. I don’t know if all enjoy that but the few games that they came to last season were some of the more enjoyable games I attended.

It was encouraging to see new and younger faces in the crowd last season. It was discouraging to see old faces missing. The old crowd I have seen for many years is starting to disappear, age being a big factor. I hope that more people will come to watch this team and the others to come in the future because they are among the best in the nation and deserve to have a full house every time they play at home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Great post, Babhorn. I don't completely understand why so few students come to the games. Yea, the FEC is not very convenient, but it is not THAT far away. Is basketball just not as well liked as volleyball here? Doesn't make sense to me. Gregory Gym is fantastic, I agree, and easy for students who live at places like Jester to get to. Is that the only explanation? I'm puzzled.

• Agree Agree x 1