2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Top 10 in state DEs, according to Next Level Scouting
    The Jackson clips Ive seen make the case for him to be top 3
    [​IMG]

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I made this point before about 2017 and let's just say not everyone appreciated it :idk:

3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i still love you, Joe

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How is Collins not top 5?

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is their list of RBs

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Okay just realized they are mixing 2 classes. So Collins is top 5 for 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think its all classes, rather than 2

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

ESPN updated their rankings

Evans is not #1 overall anymore and JQJ is now the 2nd highest ranked player in the state behind Evans
    Karic now a 4-star
    Dixon is now in their top 300
    All of our commits (except Hullaby) is now in their top 300 and/or a 4-star

Dajon Harrison, who might become a commit, is also an ESPN 4-star

ESPN Football Recruiting - 300 Player Rankings

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's about time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

ESPN has Jake Majors as the #1 OG in the country. They also show that Wisconsin recruited him (they know a thing or two about OL up there).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Actually, it is the last year of the 20th Century. Like 10 would be the tenth.

12. BurntOrangeLH

But Herman had a month to recruit that class. And most of those players are the core of this team.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That seems like its cheating the 21st century, so unfair

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BurntOrangeLH

So following that analogy, did not Herman show himself to be the much more capable coach when he beat Riley last year who had more talent drafted into the NFL than Texas? The problem is we have not seen enough head to head games yet. If you look at the overall record, it is filled with streaks.

I have seen college kids asked to perform at an NFL level, but it is indisputable that Texas has more talent at DB top to bottom than anyone else. This year in particular, Texas has been forced to play incoming freshmen who while talented, are relatively under developed and have had little coaching in practice. Blame the coaches if you must, but I see circumstances tilting the field against Texas a little bit.

2019 OU game, yes. Other games, not so definitive.

It is not an adequate sample, especially given the starting points of the two programs over that period. Texas is much closer to parity now than any time since 2008.

Well, Bobby Collins set a pretty low standard for cheating of the field. And while Bob Stoops did not get caught red handed, there were jobs at booster businesses where the player did not have to show up to get paid. Nod to Mack on this one, and Strong also.

I think this is a technique thing that could be solved partially by better coaching. If a player is full body-on against an opposing player, than holding is difficult to see. This is most evident in LOS interior lineman play.

If the victimized player can suddenly create a little separation, then the victim's jersey will illustrate who has the offending grasp. I am thinking a little more ballet and drama coaching needed here.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. BurntOrangeLH

Yeah, apologies as you were correct. 2000 is the first year of the 21st century. 1999 was the 100th year (hence last) of the 20th century as 99 years had already occurred. Why we are in 21st Century even though all the years will start with 20xx.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Not according to Wikipedia:

“The 21st (twenty-first) century is the current century of the Anno Domini era or Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2001, and will end on December 31, 2100. It is the first century of the 3rd millennium.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Do you see us putting football over academics? If we have a bad football team will the president of the University lose his job as well as the coach? The fact is, some schools are so football first, academics is of little importance. Can you for a moment imagine a football player attending Texas for 4 years and coming out as illiterate as when he arrived like Dexter Manley did?

When Riley beats Herman 66-14 and does it 5 times then I will say there are parallels. one game is not a trend.

I've seen too much football over my years, This is what happens when you start freshmen and sophomores. Period. It would be nice if every freshmen is Aaron Ross or the Stingley kid from LSU, but they are the exception not the rule. Most highly ranked DBs take time to learn and develop.

Again, you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. Show me the guy who is out coaching Lincoln Riley on offense? Lots of guy are better defensive coaches. As far as I've seen I can't find a better offensive mind, maybe the pirate, but I don't think he comes close to Riley either.

I think it's about how competitive these games are. How many 30+ point losses did Mack have to Stoops? More than I care to remember. So far we have lost to Riley twice when they had far superior team talent. This year we lost when we had equal talent. This isn't the worst team in the country and they have always had talent on defense, just didn't know how to use it. Well it looks like they have started to figure this out as well.

I'm not prepared to judge this Coaching staff a failure after 4 games especially when we likely have one more to play this year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Wait.... doesn't the numerical system start at zero thus:
    Just sayin.

19. BurntOrangeLH

Correct. So year one is zero to the end of the year which is when the year 1 becomes the second year.

Thus 1900 is the first year of the 20th Century and 1999 is the 100th and last year of the 20th Century.

20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

How often does this position combo come across with a top prospect... Ja'Quinden Jackson QB-DT? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"QB-DT" = dual threat QB

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That is a bit hyperbolic but yes I was more than willing to see Powers fired over his decisions regarding the football program and athletic director's office (or even jail him). And a host of other reasons. Did not care for him.

I am not going to name names, but, sure, we have on occasion popped some near-illiterates out of our football program. It's a little embarrassing at times but, on the other hand, they were really good football players

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That could have easily been the score last Saturday. And its 4g not 1g. Does losing 3 of 4 games make a trend? (4 losses is enough to make a World Series Champion) How many more before you would be willing to say "OK, thats a trend?"

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rationalizing losing to ou is another thing that reminds me of Mack Brown vs Bob Stoops

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Do you really mean to say we have no chance against him and just need to start accepting the future losses to Riley? I dont know what to say that. if I were a head coach, especially a MENSA level coach, I dont think I would ever accept it.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The total yards were 511 to 310, with rush yards 276 to 100
    We were lucky the score was as close as it was
    Did you ever feel like we were going to win that game?

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He says he wants to be a QB and has thrown some passes this season that would get anyones attention. To me, he's exactly the kind of player Herman persuaded to go to tOSU and that worked out pretty well for them
    We will see where he ends up

28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It's like Sam 2.0 QB-LB but bigger

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Right. J. Jackson should, and will, be given a fair shot at QB where he wants to play. While his 2018 passing yardage numbers were nothing to write home about (1580 yards), his TD to INT ratio is exceptional (15 TD to 3 INT), and he also ran for 1497 yards and 23 TD.

Further, he's a proven winner and leader. The (limited) camp film I could download shows good mechanics and a strong arm with a tight spiral. He also throws the deep outs/deep sideline patterns very well. From the game film I saw, he reads defenses well. A critique: he could probably stand to put a little more effort into 'selling the fake' when he hands off the ball instead of keeping it.

30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

He looks like the perfect fit for what Herman likes. With him, milroe, card, Bijan, whittington, rojo, Jordan, wow the future looks good. Plus we will have an awesome line and receivers. It's all coming together.
    Will we have the right play caller for this firepower?

• Agree Agree x 1