2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

And biggest screw up too if you're to believe reports from the wide receivers room. For being so close to Bru McCoy, Bru certainly didn't want to stay and certainly never confided his misgivings to Mehringer. Seems like a guy who made a great first impression and then couldn't follow through long-term.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. BurntOrangeLH

Used mostly as an RB until hurt in Clemson. 3 years of eligibility left.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The loss of Johnston drops us to 10th nationally in the 247
    No. 2 in Big 12

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

A bird (Eagles) in the hand beats two in the bush imo. I'll keep Brennan and look for other recruits in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That's major poop. But this is going to happen every year when recruits verbally commit early. However it's not so bad if it balances itself out when recuits decommit from other teams and come over to us. But it is an especially bad year for this class. I had high hopes for Johnston, umanmielan, and Jordan to be influencial for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I agree. I look for Eagles to dominate in the future. I can see Jake Smith being very successful in the right system. Hopefully we will flourish with the new OC.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's a canary in a coal mine of sorts. A thriving program, glittering with a CLEAR upside of PROVEN coaching and results doesn't have a wholesale decommit list.

Or am I wrong?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Hate, Hate losing Princely and Quentin, saw them contributing next year. But, looking at OU, Bama, Georgia all have similar numbers.

Really sucks though losing these guys to teams like Baylor, TCU, Utah. Can't believe BU might get Collins and Princely. I'm still holding hope for Collins.

10. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Joe - any chance we get back in on Princely with Ash now official? Are we in a dead period?

11. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Can Tom picking up a team out of the dumpster and winning 8 games in his first year and 10 his second year, to include bowl victories over SEC teams, and now a 7 win season not be sold to recruits as a positive trend? (A down third year happens a lot due to the fall off in recruiting by the former coach in his last "hot-seat" year.) The positive trend was sold to recruits in his first two years, but now thanks to social media all are piling on selling stories of Tom's demise at Texas.

Some Texas fans are after Tom and are beating their chests suggesting that they have worked their magic on his assistants. Therefore many recruits believe what the other teams, the media and these Texas fans are saying about Tom being a short timer. And maybe those are the recruits that he will lose. If a few young minds leave because of the buzz around Tom, or for whatever reasons (One must remember that this decision is very difficult for a high school kid.) it will not be a disaster. His roster is full of freshman and sophomores studs and he will still have a pretty good recruiting year for 2020.. Focus on the young men who really want to be here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If this were valid then would the coaches not have been fired/re-assigned?

13. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

This is valid! Irrespective of assistant firings, justifiable or not.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tom was rightfully given (at least) another year. Calls to drum him out of town are premature. He'll have the chance this coming year. If we collapse in 2020, all bets are off.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yes, at least one of the paysites thinks we are still in good shape there. They said he didnt really want to visit Baylor but his mom made him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BurntOrangeLH

Exactly. We lost only guys who wanted glory without dedication nor commitment. Best to weed them out now and get the Bijan, Jackson, Dorbah, Card, Thompson, Hullaby et al guys who really want to play for Texas.

I think one of the adjustments Herman has to make is to separate the jump-on-the-wagon glory seekers from the junk yard dogs he had to recruit in the past. Like Jackson said, "Tell Texas they are getting a dog." If a recruit does not exhibit that I-have-something-to -prove attitude, pass on him.

17. BurntOrangeLH

And this cannot hurt us with Collins either. We have good skill talent, just need more robust DL and LB relievers. I think this team comes out next year determined with a chip on their shoulders.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BurntOrangeLH

Mostly wrong. As another example, Franklin at Penn State had a lot of decommitments. Look, it is teenage boys and some swallow the promises whole like Quinten and Ty, and some see what is real. Why the good coaches say commit to the University and not the coach.

Oh, by the way, guess who else is now at Utah as a QB commit? Peyton Powell. Good luck to him. I wonder if Rising was his host also?

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I hear you...

• Like Like x 1
  20. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Joe- Any chance for surprise names tomorrow?

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If I was recruiting for Herman, and answering questions about this years 7-5 vs last years 10 wins, the answer is simple - "We lacked senior leadership this year. We need players like you to take up the slack and become those leaders."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good! It's about time!

I don't know more about football than the rest of you, but I do watch both sides of the trenches very closely. And this guy's (Karic) film is outstanding. You can add more quality muscle weight to his big frame, but there's another part that's mostly natural and mostly can't be coached (his quickness off the ball, reaction timing, foot speed, hand speed, quick punch, footwork, feel-for-the-game/instincts). As for his weight: he's already North of 270 lbs, and he's strong enough to physically dominate very good competition. Most folks think LT is the toughest OL position to recruit and develop. I think C is, but LT is a close second. Karic is the prototype high-end LT prospect.

IMHO, Karic is the best OL prospect in Texas. It's baffling that the rating services had him at 3 stars for so long, and some of them still have him at 3 stars. Dude is a finalist for National OL of the year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. BurntOrangeLH

i doubt any good program gets recruits by throwing a reputable and capable senior class under the bus. That is more an aTm or TCU deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We did't have one. In fact, we have lacked leadership all year both in the locker room and on the field. Is that the kids, or is that the coaches?

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. BurntOrangeLH

Boy, if you do not think that Duvernay, Collin, Zach, Roach, Jones led by example, I pity your poor tiny mind and narrow view of the world.

You may have your opinions, but ignoring good and valid examples does not confirm them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Explain why not one of them didn't take control and solve the cancer in the locker room?

Did they perform on the field? Absolutely, but I have said for over two months that we had a problem in the locker room. No one would identify the problem, but more importantly no one tried to get it resolved. Results? Transfers, fuel for negative recruiting, & decommitments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

If a HS senior cant find this site, they shouldn’t graduate. Negative recruiting? If they can find this, they needn’t search for negative recruiting. Lord, to be Peter Pan.

Currently employed coaches are so for a reason. Just sayin’

29. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

So Collins is signing tomorrow but not announcing until US Army game right? Is Princely signing and announcing tomorrow?

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Coming to the living room in your home soon, with a replay on your official visit.