2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Super K of TFB on Bijan Robinson --

"I spoke with the mother of Bijan Robinson. Robinson is set to announce his decision in early August.

Bijan’s mother told me that Bijan has made a decision.

She would not, however, confirm which school it is. Folks around the program at Salpointe seem to think it’s Ohio State and I believe that probably explains the run of predictions for him.

I can tell you that in my conversations with Bijan’s mother, I get the sense that she prefers Texas. So once the staff gets back from vacation, even if the sense is that Ohio State is the choice, I’d be busting my tail trying to change this back in Texas’ favor.

This should especially be the case given it’s looking like Ohio State is going to get former OU RB commit, Jaylen Knighton. Bijan is a stud – perhaps the best RB in the country. But Knighton is a monster, as well. And I’ve never gotten the sense that Bijan was necessarily keen on being one of two major RBs in one class."

Open Post | Tuesday, July 16th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Inside Texas now thinks Broughton will announce on Thursday.
    But the latest from Mike Roach is "some time next week"

And here is the view from the agricultural and mechanical college of Texas

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  4. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Ransom to Ohio St, assuming Bijan is headed that way as well...

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Herman had to know Samples was leaving so he should have a worthy replacement in his back picket.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He was also popular with the ladies

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Samples loss is a big deal. What can we do, other than firing a position coach and replacing him with Samples, to get Samples back on our staff with an appropriately high salary?

9. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

If losing Samples hurts our recruiting, then something is really wrong... Alabama and Saban lose STAFF COACHES every year and they don't miss a beat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He was our dfw guy, pretty much what traylor was to our east Texas recruiting. his dad is the head coach at Duncanville. We have their qb committed to us and looks a like safety is headed our way also. He will he missed but like chop said we would have to fire a guy to bring him on as a coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

True,
    But the reality is that Alabama is the crem de la crem(probably not right spelling) among football programs and meeting Saban is like meeting God (no disrespect sir) so recruiting for the tide is effective and I really hated saying that but that's the reality. We have to rely on "sales" coaches. Maybe that will change someday but it will be difficult due to the fact that we have so many rivals who know how to negative recruit us. We need a few natties.:facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  12. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Saban is a great recruiter because he’s a great coach and wins. Trust me, if Saban don’t have the W’s he is recruiting at such a high level. We win the conference and make it to a playoff in the next couple years, Texas will be right there too. Don’t forget, the last 2 years we had top 5 recruiting class.

13. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Alabama (SEC, SEC,.....) has not always been at the top, cream de la cream) They like most programs have been on the opposite side also. It just so happens that their rise started with the slip of others major programs and they were there too scoop in with good recruits and coaching. If the other powers ha help up, Ala would be competing but probably would not be stacking each position with 5*'s. So much easier to recruit and win consistently when you are loaded and keep 'em coming.

Their day will come and we will see more flipping of rankings and recruiting success.
    Where would tidy be if Colt had not been injured in that critical game with no real backup? Things throughout collegiate football would be significantly different.

However, it is what it is and will be until others start winning consistently.

Think of programs that were once at or near the top but have fallen due to many different issues....OU, OhSt, Tex, Neb, GA, Mich, USC, ND, FSU, UF,
    et al even Ala....

and where would Ala be if they played more than 6 of their conference teams year in / out. I read something that alluded to fact that Ala plays Ga only once every 5-6 years unless it's in conf championship game.....really need a standard to measure the true success of all programs.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Samples' main value was his ability to open doors in the DFW area based on his long-standing relationships with some key coaches and others in DFW, and his ability to make the pitch and close the deal--especially in DFW. Apparently, he also has a very congenial personality, which helps in this area.

Herman arrived as a well-known commodity in the Houston area, but a relative unknown in DFW. There was much hand-wringing over our mediocre (or worse) recruiting of the DFW area under Herman. Then Samples stepped in/up and all of the sudden many of the top DFW recruits committed to UT (or at least are giving us a serious look) who would not have otherwise. So, yeah, the loss of Samples hurts.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. It wasn't that long ago that the 3 main Florida schools (Miami, FSU, and U. of Florida) were collectively on top of the heap. I thought I'd never hear the end of how great college football was in Florida. But that era passed.

16. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Chop makes good point and no slight on the DFW area and Samples. Samples will be missed, but as one poster mentioned, coaches leave all the time, and next man up. While coach Herman has lacked in this area, he has more than made up in others. We will find our guy to replace and we will be fine. I mean, it’s not like Herman is struggling in recruiting at this point. We will see what the final verdict is for 2020, but I’m optimistic.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I hope you're right, and someone who's good at recruiting DFW replaces Samples. The buzz is that Samples leaving had an effect on Arlington's Jahari Rogers who just committed to UF, of all places, over us. Hopefully it's not an emerging trend with Samples gone.

18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

College football goes in cycles. Strong conferences today become weak after a few years, then have a resurgence. Same with football programs. Some have a stretch as a perennial power then go into a slump for various reasons, such as coaching changes, HC and staff become lazy in recruiting or run the same program oblivious to the changes occurring around them. The good programs overcome the cycle while others such as the perennial cellar-dwellers never figure it out.

From my observations, Herman is building the program up. It will still take some more time, but he can get the program back to prominence once again. I look at 2019 as being a good season, and 2020 as being a a potentially great year. So, we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Herman has already wasted 24 hours in naming a replacement. Rogers going to Florida within hours of the Samples announcement either shows the Samples effect or Rogers was just toying with Texas to get a better deal at Florida (remember it is the $EC).

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

QB Haynes King to aggy

21. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Doubt it was a waste

22. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

The question is always can the recruit handle academics at Texas

23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Signing day isn't until December.... Herman doesn't need to hire anyone right-a-way...He needs to hire someone with some of the same tools as Samples, if Samples was all that. Besides, if Texas wins the Big 12 it doesn't matter who we have replacing Samples. We gettin' err'body. These commits are non-binding, and can be flipped at any time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 14
    • Hot Hot x 2
  25. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Where is the video ???

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Why the doubt? #NoTroll

• Like Like x 6
  27. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Not doubting. Just heard the video issue prevented his announcing on his B-day....Curious about it, and wanted to see it.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy playing bingo after losing Broughton

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re: Broughton

Huge, huge pickup. He has the perfect build for a 3 man front DE. He is dominant, disruptive, quick, and strong in his film. Great job staff, and welcome aboard Vernon! You'll love it in Austin.

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah the upside is obvious. Could be a 5 star by signing day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1