2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

So she is a physical player who is not afraid of contact. Exactly the type of players we need.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Just a humble suggestion, right out of the gate: Can we have an agreement not to call our new coach "CVS"? Whenever I see that I'll think of either C. Vivian Stringer or the drug store.

How about just "Vic", it's the same number of characters lol.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That works for me. LOL

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jacob Johnson

One name I forgot was in the portal is Zaay green out of Tennessee who is from duncanville. She is a great player who was working her way back from a torn ACL but I would still take her in a heartbeat. My other top target would be Robyn Benton out of auburn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Green would be a nice pickup, but we need someone who is immediately eligible. Dijonai Carrington, grad xfer of Stanford would be a great get

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm probably mistaken but I thought Carrington already announced where she was going.

7. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Benton was just announced to Kentucky.

8. Jacob Johnson

Every time I bring up a name they announce where they are going the same day and it's not us. I'm going to just be quiet because I am jinxing it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Have I missed it? News on Precious Johnson. Silence is deafening. Ebo’s transfer is good. If PJ is not coming we are back short handed with bigs.

10. Jacob Johnson

Her Instagram still says "UT commit" and she is still following Texas women's basketball and all commits including Lauren Ebo so if she were not coming then I think she would have made an announcement by now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know there are individual threads about DeYona Gaston switching from MSU to Texas, but I will add it to the pinned thread, as well:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She started following Kyra Lambert and DeYona Gaston on twitter today; so, I'd take that as a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looks like Cynthia Merritt (recently?) started following Coach Dionnah Jackson and Coach Johnnie Majors; might not mean anything. She is the mother of 6'2 Jordyn Merritt of Plano who signed with Florida in November; she tore her ACL shortly afterwards.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

That is some deep sleuthing Moooo!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I really wish Vic could get Deja Kelly to change her mind and come to Texas! Aston really blew it on that one!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Technically she would have to change her own mind and seek that. I have been hoping for it, but don't think it will happen right away. I still would not be surprised if she came back eventually though.
    #wishfulthinking

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  19. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Honestly, unless he intended to play her right away I fear her and her mother might be more of a headache than they're worth. Still staying close to the HS GBB and AAU game, there is just so much that isn't discussed publicly and I just feel like there are more paths with way less resistance. We've got it rolling right now, no need to throw a cherry bomb into the mix

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Duly noted

21. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 7
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm reading mixed things about whether or not she signed an LOI. I recall Vic's press release in November, and I thought he discussed her, which means she must have signed.

Women's Hoops Signs Top-100 Players in Hayes and Gaston for 2020 Class - Mississippi State

Regardless, she could always ask for a release from her LOI like DeYona did:

'Waiting things out': Why a 5-star signee is not fully committed to Mississippi State

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Madison Hayes sure would add more depth and talent to our SG/W position.

madison-hayes

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jacob Johnson

Great find! So these reporters are really confused about the situation because it seems like she has already signed from the article you sent. I hope she asks for her release so she can get the chance to speak with Vic and the staff and he can convince her to come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I added the November press release to my post above; she signed.

If she decides not to play for McCray, then our main advantage is the coaching staff with which she values her relationships. But, unlike Gaston and Lambert, she's never visited Texas; and, that's hard to accomplish the next several months. Conversely, Lauren Ebo still chose Texas despite not being able to make an official visit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

There are only so many ships...How many transfers can Vic take ?

27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Could be some things going on behind the scenes. Perhaps IF that NCAA transfer rule is approved and IF it were to go into effect immediately, we may see some more roster changes. Those could be some pretty big IF's, but we won't know until we know. Whatever the case, I suspect there could be several scenarios being mapped out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Jacob Johnson

As of right now we have one more scholarship to give out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Or perhaps Shae Routt goes on medical scholarship or she transfers because I don't see her contributing during competitive game situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  30. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

We can all count up to 15. The problem is we don't know who to count. Like it or not, just like the virus, this will take well into the future to work itself out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1