2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Thank you. I didn't wanna be the one to say it but someone had to. She has great character and very supportive but let's be honest, she is never going to see the court so like you said a medical scholarship would do even though I didn't know that existed but if it opens a scholarship up then I'm all in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jacob Johnson

I mean I just don't see anyone on our current roster transferring anywhere. We know Collier, Taylor and allen-taylor are not going anywhere. As for palmer & Routt I don't know there mentality on if they are okay sitting on the bench but Warren seems like the type of player Vic Schaefer recruits. She is physical, probably the most physical player in college and she has really good defense in all aspects of that part of the game. She is also very very physical. She would make one hell of a linebacker the way she tackles players and I love it because it really ruffles the feathers of Kim Mulkey but back to my point.

Palmer would probably have to go a low d1 school and Routt I don't know. So I don't see any of them leaving because they probably realize how good they have it at Texas. If anyone has any thoughts on this topic please let me know:hookem:

3. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

While Warren is indeed physical, she is by no means the most physical player in womens' college basketball. As for Palmer, I saw some really positive things out of her last year and think she has a very good upside and potential. We just don't know how she will figure into Coach Schaefer's plans. Palmer absolutely has skills, and now that we have a coach who can actually DEVELOP players, I see her staying around (but none of us know). Routt is another story. Fact is that none of us know definitively what is going to happen, but a roster spot or two opening up would not surprise me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jacob Johnson

Yes Palmer without a doubt has great skills with tremendous potential and can shoot the ball lights out but her defense is a problem and we all know Vic prides his teams on pressure defense and that is something Palmer would really have to work hard if she wants to see the floor. As for Warren she is definitely in the top 5. She is not afraid of contact whatsoever and if your in her way you better believe you will be moved out of it! We don't know what's going to happen but it doesn't hurt to take a guess. Now if a roster spots opens up for whatever reason and a player or two wants to leave then there are a lot of good names in the portal & at the rate vic is going he will have no trouble finding some players to come to the 40 acres.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You can’t “develop” athleticism and Schaefer is a coach that typically wants athletic players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Never once said you could develop "athleticism". That's pretty much common sense. BUT I'll tell you what you can develop.....POTENTIAL... And we've had ALOT of that around for several years, and well....... Vic Schaefer AND his very competent staff know exactly what kind of players they are looking for and how to develop them. Look at Chloe Bibby and his daughter. NOT the greatest athletes, but they put in the work and were DEVELOPED. We are now in good hands....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree typically he does like athletic guards who can be aggressive on both ends of the floor. He has had success working with some who weren't the best natural athletes. We'll see how the roster shakes out sooner than later. The great thing is we now can have confidence that the most will be gotten out of whatever that roster ends up being.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Physical or not, with the additions to our roster, Warren just moves further down the depth chart. Being physical isn’t enough, especially when you pick up two fouls two minutes into the game. Her offense is not good enough either. Gaston, Coleman, Lambert, Ebo, Ortiz, Chevalier, and Holle are all better players than and will take the minutes from her; Ortiz and Holle directly at the 3 guard. Wouldn’t be surprised if Warren, Palmer, or Routt leave the team one way or another either through the off-season or after next season as they will get the least minutes next fall IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I keep forgetting about Holle. I like what I've read about her, especially her defensive tenacity and ability to guard multiple positions. We know she can score too.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jacob Johnson

It's official

• Like Like x 10
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ebo too.

• Like Like x 8
  13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

So as I read it the signing period is April 15-August 1st. With Twitter doing these releases and on Facebook Vic writing up blurbs on all his signees, do we read into that he's done with transfers and signings barring any defections and we leave the one scholarship open? I like that idea of having 2 schollies available for the 2021 class.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I've been trying to find some articles / analysis about DeYona's skills and type of forward she has been in high school, but not having a lot of luck. I don't think she has the same kind of build as Nneka Enemkpali or Joyner; she seems more slender and wiry, perhaps like Delisha Milton or Tiffany Jackson?

Found this article from 2016:

HoopGurlz: Freshman builds following

And, some evaluations of her skills:

deyona-gaston

DFW Marchfest-March 2018: Athletic-4 with front court versatility; quick in block, active on glass; emerging face up game consistency; executes in transition game; defends out of area. (Olson)

Under Armour Cup-July 2017: Athletic-4 combines face up game threat to the arc with quick interior game; active on glass, cleans the glass and initiates the fast break; emerging offensive arsenal; an elite prospect with off-the-charts potential. (Olson)

DFW Marchfest-March 2017: Athletic-4 with developing offensive arsenal; quick, active on glass, versatile defender; continued offensive game development and intensity are key factors for impact. (Olson)

Future Stars USA-July 2016: Explosively athletic faceup-4 continues to polish offensive game; quick-leaper, active on glass; handles and attacks in transition game; versatile with off-the-charts potential; an elite prospect in the class of 2020. (Olson)

PBR-CGBR Skills-March 2016: Ultra-athletic faceup-4 performer with next level potential; superior length, wingspan competes on glass; emerging offensive game extends to the arc; displays guard skills with front court size. (Olson)

Notes
    TGCA 6A All-State in 2018, 2020.

16. Jacob Johnson

She is very athletic and is very similar to how Joyner holmes was in high school. She can dribble the ball up the floor, shoot, a bully in the paint and an amazing glass cleaner. She also has great hands. The one thing I think she needs to work on the most is her shot selection & when to take the right shot. Everyone remembers how Rellah Boothe was with her 3 point shots at bad times but that can easily be fixed. When Vic said Texas fans will love her personality it's because she will absolutely take no BS from anyone whatsoever. In terms of attitude she is very much like Mikiah Herbert Harrigan from South Carolina. You will not get in her face and not expect a clapback and I love it! Very excited and I expect her to contribute immediately

• Like Like x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Regarding Deyona Gaston: I saw a video once where she took a couple of dribbles and dunked the ball, but I can't seem to find it now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 6
  19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I just hope Kyra plays the point as well as she communicates. Nice.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Jacob Johnson

Sounds like Vic and his staff are not done with adding to the 2020-2021 roster. I would assume they would have to go after a grad transfer since the roster for 2021-2022 is completely full but I guess this is why they get paid the big bucks to sort things out like this:hookem::hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe a JUCO.:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It will be interesting where that post comes from. Graduate transfer or JUCO would be best due to experience or maturity. I am betting on a HS flip. What about Carduso the 6’-6” post committed to Syracuse. She’s from Tennessee so should know about Schaefer. Number 5 ranked player in Hoopgurlz and top post. Haven’t heard her name anywhere but am hoping there could be interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Liked that she was specifically asked about Precious and Elyssa. As expected, she described Elyssa as a true 4 rather than a post. Interesting that she said she’s seen more film on Precious than Elyssa so far - I assumed film on Precious would be harder to come by considering she didn’t log as much time in summer ball and her high school didn’t have the post season exposure of Elyssa’s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Unless a new grad xfer enters the portal we will have to sign a JUCO or flip a HS recruit. We are definitely looking for a post to fill the last spot with Ebo’s eligibility being in question, and there is currently only one grad xfer post remaining in the portal: Bride Kennedy-Hopoate of New Mexico. Hopoate played at Iowa State before UNM, getting little to no playing time. She is definitely not on Vic’s radar.

i would like us to sign a strong, experienced JUCO rather than flipping a HS recruit, more likely as well I would think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Ashley Chevalier who is our high school point guard recruit from California. This is her mother who is a coach.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2