2021 NCAA tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, what do we know?

Are we disallowed from playing our first round game at the Erwin Center? I haven't seen anything one or the other, but I really haven't looked. Hoping somebody knows the answer. The NCAA (in women's sports) typically makes "saving money" a huge priority; well, it will save them money if they keep our team at home for their first round game.

I've already pretty much accepted that both Texas A&M and Baylor are going to be bused to Austin for their first round game instead of being sent the extra hour to San Antonio. Not that it matters in them winning or losing their initial game; just don't care to watch them on our court.

I think we're going to be a #7 seed. Vic stated in his post-game presser today that he thinks we've played our way to a #6 seed. I hope he's right. I just think our loss to OU will hurt.

While I wish we'd have won a few more games this season, not being a Top 16 national seed might not provide the huge advantage it normally provides without the home fans in attendance since all games are going to be at "neutral" sites. So, play your best and you have a chance at a win.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Here's the link to Charlie Creme's bracketology (which I'm sure he updates constantly):

Women's Bracketology: Brackets in all shapes and sizes

Interesting note for those of us following Mississippi State's season:

Missouri State's decision to opt out of the Missouri Valley tournament means that the conference's automatic bid will go to someone else. As the highest remaining seed, Drake moves into the field as the MVC's automatic bid for now. The Lady Bears will get an at-large invitation, making the MVC a two-bid league, which pushes Mississippi State out of the field. UCF is now the last team in. Central Michigan and St. Louis are also new teams, while Bowling Green and Dayton join Mississippi State as moving out of the field.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

How nice for Drake and the MVC

• Like Like x 2
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We will not be allowed to play at the FEC. I forget where I read that, but I’m pretty sure I’m right about it.

I wish they would recognize the B12 the way they recognize the SEC - as top ranked teams beating up on one another. Last year we pretty much swept the SEC in our matchups. This year they pretty much swept us in the few games we played. We should have 6 teams going to the tournament IMO with OU being the last one in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Assuming Charlie Creme is right about our playing WSU. Charlie is fairly good on which teams get in but he is usually way off on who plays who and where.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Shout out to Middle Tennessee and former Longhorn Rellah Boothe for making the tourney. She only played about 10 minutes last night but hit 2 crucial free throws and had the game winning steal to secure the victory. That girl has had a tough journey to get to where she is today. Happy for her.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2.5 hours away from the bracket announcement!

9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Geno Auriemma tests positive for Covid and can rejoin the team on March 24 (he’s in isolation)

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Mercado Region -- No Kamie matchup for Texas. NC State the overall #1 and the Aggies get a 2 seed in the regional with NC State. Wow! Iowa State is a 7 seed. That should be our floor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Texas vs Bradley. A 6 seed! Monday at 7pm.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

WOW! A 6 seed. We got some love.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Texas got a very good draw! Bradley and UCLA are both winable.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  14. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

CONGRATS HORNS!!

Tough bracket! #2 Maryland THE REAL DEAL! #1 SC THE REAL DEAL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to go watch Bradley in their last game just to get an idea of what we are dealing with because I'm not really familiar with that program.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Bradley went 2-1 against Drake the team we beat by 21 that made Charli cry. :e-thinking:
    They beat them by 5 both times most recently in their conference tourney championship. This game should be very winnable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

We need some PAYBACK on UCLA!!!

Let’s GOOOOOOO....

:yippee:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jacob Johnson

Yeah I watched about a quarter and some change and this game is very winnable. They are pretty lazy on defense and not quick at all. They start basically all guards and two are not very athletic so Ebo and Collier should have a field day. Texas I'm sure will pressure this team all game because they can't really handle pressure especially what Texas brings. This team will shoot the ball so we have to be fundamental on the defensive side which we have done pretty well as of late. They play man to man but will most likely run a zone but if not Collier will be triple teamed. Texas should win this game easy but it's the ncaa tournament so we have to have the same mindset as if we are playing Uconn or Baylor.

ONE GAME AT A TIME:hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm very happy with our #6 seed; was expecting a #7 seed. I guess Vic knew of what he spoke.

And, I think Bradley was the #11 seed with the most losses (record of 16-11).

UCLA is very talented; but, I'd rather them be the #3 seed in our region instead of Tennessee who has so much size; Lady Vols is one team that could get the Baylor bigs in foul trouble.

Despite not being ranked in the Top 25 by the pollsters, the committee felt we are a Top 24 team!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, the #1 and #2 seeds are tough in every region. Will worry about them if we play our best and and get 2 wins and can get to the Sweet 16.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Anyone know the mapping of the various "quadrants" to physical locations on the I-35 corridor?

22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Looks like Texas plays Monday at 7:00 (ESPN2)

• Like Like x 3
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, as Creme predicted, Miss. State was left out of the tournament.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Also not one of the "replacement teams" should one not be able to compete due to COVID. Then they turned down the WNIT. :e-eyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  25. Jacob Johnson

They turned it down?? I didn't hear that part

26. Jacob Johnson

Is Texas not allowed to play at the Erwin Center? Is it a rule of some sort

• Like Like x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

According to their message board.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting tidbits found in this article:
    "Coach Nell Fortner has taken Georgia Tech from meltdown mode after MaChelle Joseph's firing in March 2019 to the No. 5 seed in the Hemisfair and the Yellow Jackets' first trip to the Big Dance since 2014."

"Texas, Hemisfair's No. 6 seed, starts with Bradley, the surprise Missouri Valley tournament winner. Regular-season MVC champ Missouri State withdrew rather than play a semifinal against Bradley, which had a Tier 1 positive COVID-19 test the day before the semifinals. Then Bradley beat Loyola in the semifinals and Drake in the final; the Bulldogs were without head coach Jennie Baranczyk, two assistants and four players because of a COVID-19 positive test and contact tracing. So Bradley, making its first NCAA tournament appearance, is on a run facing the Longhorns."

• Like Like x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1