2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And don't forget weenies.
    Weenies matter

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

He had 4 teams prior to the cut, 3 of which has won a National Championship in the last 20 years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Well, with that final 3, it tells me that Mr. Wheaton is not interested in education nor personal development.

Conference Championships matter most that year then immediately start to fade away. Likewise, any NFL future is short term and pretty much over by 30, especially for an RB.

I seriously doubt Wheaton was concerned in the least with player development.

I would say in his world it is

1.) 'Bama
    2.) LSU

3.) OU

4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

And that Bijan is already a Longhorn and Camar is close, but no cigar.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nor human rights nor social justice. How can anyone crawl in bed with people that stole so much land from natives?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Brockermeyers already having a big effect on Tuscaloosa

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I thought about that but a 5-star running back is has been big man on campus since he was in diapers has one thing in mind: ELITE PROGRAMS & the NFL.

That's my view anyway. I'm not sure the personal growth department at UT is so incredibly different that it would sway someone. Besides, the whole player demand issue may still be in flux. At this point in time, what is the image the school is projecting to black athletes at the moment, regardless of the actual ability/desire of the school to meet all of their demands?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. BurntOrangeLH

So that is why Williams, Campbell, Koys, Obogonaya, Charles, S. Young, Holmes, Metcalf, Whittaker, Bertelsen, Foreman, Robinson and other RB attended UT? Then, maybe. Now, they are trying to save themselves for an abbreviated NFL career.

10. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I was disappointed to hear this earlier this week that he was leaning to the land of thieves but after watching both he and LJ Johnson, both are exceptional. It would appear that Wheaton may be a little faster but how can you go wrong with either of them. As for the horns down, its just a low life classless gesture. Dont recall ever really seeing the thumbs down with the aggies. Good rivalries are always amped up. I dont fault any of these kids for making their desired picks. Always wish they would pick UT but thats mostly on Herman. Win and it fixes itself. Herman is not Saban nor is he Riley. Saban can win with Defense and limp along with O plus he must be like Mack in that he really resonates with the kids. Herman does not resonate and has to win to get over that hump. Lets hope its a monster year for the ones playing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The argument on that would be what was UT's reputation? Do you think the legacy and elite standing that was the 30 game win streak... the great victory of Arkansas... Mack Brown clearly rebuilding the team... etc is there now? What is the trend line? Both coordinators were fired. This is a reset. We have great hopes but they are starting over in a sense.

The last NC was in 2005? That's fifteen years ago.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He even has naturally orange hair

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Can't speak to all of them, but

The Koys were legacies. otherwise Ted would likely have gone to A&M since they offered him guaranteed admission to vet school

Earl was pure DKR at his best

Metcalf chose the plan Terry had for him - a good track program, where he could do both sports, take a redshirt for the Olympic year, and get a big shoe contract as an Olympic athlete, (hopefully champion) and return to school and then the NFL. Only two schools met Terry's requirements - Texas & Tennessee. As I recall, Terry specifically mentioned $300,000 for the amount of thee shoe contract. At that time, Akers contract was just over $100,000.

Bertlesen always wanted to be a cowboy and chose our heritage and his love of horses and cattle.

Like it or not, less than 10% of D-1 athletes consider academic standing or USN&WR rankings when making a decision. Some do consider what the alumni can do for them after football is over. Almost all consider playing time, winning a championship, playing on real TV (not LHN), getting to next level.

Your rebuttal, you should use Alfred Jackson as a great player that chose Texas academics over aTm money. Very accomplished NFL and MBA mix.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BurntOrangeLH

Which is less time passed than OU and anyone else in the B12.

Interesting to remember that Super Bill Bradley was the can't miss 5 Star QB who missed but had a brilliant career at DB here and in the NFL.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  15. BurntOrangeLH

Which he did after graduating from Texas, right?

A lot of the more mature players not blinded by NFL bling mention educational opportunities these days. How sincere that is seems to be inversely proportional to their economic advantages.

Always respected Alfred.

Too bad there was no Nike when Lam Jones won his Gold Medal.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes... but that's the last thing we hang our hat on.

Big 12 Championships since 2005 (bolded is the streak that shows the current dominance):

Oklahoma: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Texas: 2009

17. BurntOrangeLH

And which B12 team has the best record against the SEC in that time frame?

18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

:idk:

19. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Horns!!!

h

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That hurts to see that. Maybe we can start a streak of championships

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I think this is our year against OU.
    Going forward, they are getting good players we are getting good players should be clash of the Titans in the years to come

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. BurntOrangeLH

This is only Herman's 4th year and his first hastily assembled short class (#27?) of seniors who did not redshirt, like Ehlinger, Kerstetter, Graham ....

People ***** (as I did when Charlie was fired) but Texas was 3/4 of the way into the also-ran abyss. Texas still has room to go, but Texas football in all its aspects is in a much better place now.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  23. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

correct!

24. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Just curious, how long did it take Mack Brown to rebuild Texas to a National Championship?What was his record the first 3 years?

25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s dominance. That needs to turn around NOW!

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. BurntOrangeLH

Well, he did have Ricky Williams for two of those years.

27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

1 year of Ricky, not 2.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dave Campbell's top DEs
    Sanders 1, Thomas 5 with Shemar 3

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts