2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

One thing I learned many years ago...if you’re carrying the ball remember; the sideline is your friend, so use it!

2. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

McRee doesn't look to be a beast, but looks to have what Texas needs in a TE/HB. Good blocking and good hands. Doesn't have to be fast, just GOOD. Looks much much better than Beck right now with time to get better.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

BC re-tweeted this
    2021 4-star WR/RB JoJo Earle (5'9,170) from Aledo

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  4. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I don't understand recruiting 5'9" 170 when we have had LJH who is huge,as well as C. Johnson; then look at OSU, Bama, A&M, OU, etc.etc. and others who kill defenses with 6'5" 210 guys at WR. BIG, fast, and physical beats "little" every day. Tom wants a POWER running game, and you don't get that with 5'9" 170 either......So why do we bother looking at 5'9" 170 unless they are DBs ??? And even then...... DBs these days need to be bigger now to combat the 6'5" WRs......So WTH ??? Unless a guy is faster than a speeding bullet, little guys can't play anymore for championship quality teams. True, a Sophomore may well grow much larger in two years, so I can see that possibility if his parents are bigger. I'd still go after the taller WRs like LJH etc...

5. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

For the same reasons we've recently recruited Rondale Moore and Mookie Cooper. Are you familiar with the attributes of the slot receiver position? Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Doug Baldwin and Tyreek Hill say hi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This should get Milroe's attention (I hope)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I would say we have done as well at spotting the top slots and safeties as any positions on the field since Herman arrived -- and usually before the other big dogs spot them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Are you familiar in how we used LJH ? Big and fast beats little and fast unless the speed is off the charts for the little guy. I'd rather spread three or four 6'5" guys who can run lined up out there against smaller DBs....especially inside the 20.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Inside Texas says that the Alabama move did indeed get his attention
    They think he might go ahead and announce this summer -- which, if so, would probably force a quick decision from Herman about who his top QB of this class is (Milroe or Stone?)

ps - I dont know how much this might be a factor but Milroe is teammates with high 4-star 2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Yes, I'm quite familiar. LJH is big, but not particularly fast. He was effective in the slot partially due to his size, but mainly because he's able to make quick cuts and change direction without slowing down (a characteristic that enabled him to be a productive RB in HS). Most tall receivers do not possess this attribute. They may have great height and straight-line speed but lack the ability to shake defenders in the middle of the field and uncover in space. In that respect, LJH was an anomaly.

11. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Which is why you recruit 6'1" 215 guys like Whittington to be your slot instead of 5'9" and skinny if you can't find a LJH. but Herman hasn't screwed the pooch yet, so I guess trust in him.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  12. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Well, you've gone from 6'5 to 6'1, so at least you're headed in the right direction. I'm hoping Jake Smith is about to show you the light. :smile1:

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There is some sentiment out there that QB Jalen Milroe will announce soon

Mike Roach just put in a CB for him to Texas

However, IT thinks FSU has suddenly, somehow forced itself into the pole position.

We will see who is correct

ps -- there is also a report out there that our coaching staff sees Milroe as having the potential to positively affect the rest of the 2021 class, sort of the same way they see Ja'Quinden Jackson and the 2020s

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is basically what Nahlin of Inside Texas said on his podcast on the Milroe/Stone issue. As of last word, Stone wants to wait until January to decide while Milroe seems ready to act soon.

Milroe seems to be the guy. Better fit than Stone. He’s number 1 on UF/FSU board. If Milroe is the guy it will happen this week. Decent arm, great legs. Needs mechanics work. Expect to see his ranking to rise senior year. Much higher ceiling.
    Stone has an outstanding arm. Decent mobility. Stone is going to take care of himself in this process. Will only go to a school where the path to Qb1 is very clear. (Stone's dad seems to want guarantees but Preston prob isn’t good enough to get any from Texas.) His arm is just so special.
    Milroe prob the guy that’s going to keep his head down and get to work where Stone is prob going to need attention.

The Eyes Pod: Ep. 25 - Bringing the Broughton, Filling the Van - Inside Texas

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We are getting some CBs in for Juan Davis to Texas. He visited in June for one of our mega events and is currently listed as a TE at 6'4,217, but could potentially play other positions
    Juan Davis, Everman, Tight End

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2021s who are supposed to visit immediately after the end of the dead period

S, JD Coffey III, Kennedale

TE, Juan Davis, Everman

WR, JoJo Earle, Aledo

LB, Derrick Harris, Jr., New Caney
    https://247sports.com/Player/Derrick...s-Jr-46078940/
    CB, Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have couple questions number one is Ehlinger if he has a pretty good season is he going to go for the draft and number two who is the backup for Shackleford especially as starter for next year?

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'd say the odds of Ehlinger leaving early are far less than 10%, no matter what kind of season he has. He loves being the UT QB too much to miss a year of the experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I doubt it with Sam, unless he wins the Heisman and NC, then why not?
    Probably Kerstetter is the backup at C

21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Hornfans HQ checking on recruiting info today

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Parker Braun will likely be the backup center.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

He just finished his sophomore year!!!!

That is just crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

“They made me feel like my future on and off of the field was a priority for them."

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Our last three QB commits are .96 in the 247 Composite, and up.
    Not bad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1