2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Disagree. They have already restored a year for all spring sports (each with a different set of rules and eligibility, etc.). Again all it is going to take is one federal class-action lawsuit against the NCAA and all member schools to change everything. Believe me, there are plenty of shysters out there that will do such a filing if just for PR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Where is the discrimination against athletes who finished their regularly scheduled fall competition though? Nothing was aborted in those sports.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One group of athletes getting preferential treatment over another group. A very simple case actually. Nothing is really "fair" in this type of case. Take it to a friendly federal judge in New York, California or DC and the NCAA will fold quickly because the cost to litigate is more than the marginal cost just to give in. Deny you did anything wrong, but in the interest of all parties settle quickly and move on.

I have seen cases thinner than this being accepted by a court and then settled with the "aggrieved" party essentially getting what they demanded.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

File in Mississippi. Area is very plaintiff friendly, they hate the federal government and the NCAA. It will never see the inside of a courtroom

• Like Like x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

But if the fall sport athlete completed the fall season, where is the "aggrieved athlete?" Giving every 2019 athlete an extra season turns the NCAA into BYU. Five years of playing eligibility is not something the NCAA will buy off easily.

The courts should be careful or else they will create a whole new "aggrieved athlete" class of incoming freshmen athletes who will not be able to play fall sports be cause of senior + holdovers. We will see because the scenario you suggest is not unlikely.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You may be reading more into this than what is there. Note I have been saying a year of eligibility; not an additional scholarship year (which would be a school by school choice).

The only suggestion that I have made is there are lawyers out there that will try this, and if they do, the NCAA will fold because the cost of any litigation will be more than the marginal cost of an additional year of eligibility across the board. This will mean 5 non-redshirt eligibility years instead of the current 4 for current NCAA athletes. How scholarships would be handled is school choice, but anything out of sync from historical scholarship award practice would raise legal eyebrows.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is what the IT Humidor (Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin) is saying on a few of our 2021 targets.

OL Tommy and James Brockermeyer (Fort Worth All Saints):
    Biggest competition: Alabama. Nick Saban offers a bunch in Texas every year, gets them to visit Tuscaloosa and take pictures in front of that wretched painting, and then selects the ones he actually wants. If Texas is going to land the Brothers Brockermeyer, they’ll have to beat Little Nicky. Good news, however, is the Brockermeyers have a bit of a mercenary attitude if the school isn’t going to be Texas. They won’t be as susceptible to Saban’s leverage games. The Brocks hold as much leverage as any other party involved and know it. If Texas comes out of the gates fast in September, this one could be “over” in October.

OL Bryce Foster (Katy Taylor)
    Biggest competition: (aggy), but also (ou) and Oregon. We’ve gone over this one a lot recently. If throwing is truly important to Foster then Texas will be difficult to overcome. It’s not ideal the Texas track and field season was cut short, nor is it ideal the Texas Relays were canceled. Those aren’t major issues, but they don’t help. Foster won’t be able to see UT’s throwers excel, and he wont’ be able to participate himself in Austin. A&M does have advantages other’s can’t compete with, namely his mother and brother being Aggie legacies, but I don’t think that’s a game changer. Oregon is a real darkhorse and might be the perfect school for him, but distance doesn’t help them. Foster will take his official visit to Texas in June with his good friends Hayden Conner and Jalen Milroe.

RB Camar Wheaton (Lakeview Centennial)
    Biggest competition: (ou) with SMU trying to play spoiler. The state’s top rated tailback by most accounts is one of the quietest recruitments in the cycle. The growing sentiment is that he’ll stay close to home. He’s also a kid that has said he wants to wait. But every cycle has a few, out-of-nowhere, surprise commitments. We’ve heard multiple times he could drop out of nowhere, even dating back to when Texas led last spring. Wheaton does have a pretty unique and growing relationship with SMU quarterback commit Preston Stone, which is why we can’t entirely discount SMU. Not the most natural runner, he’s very explosive and would add a dynamic the offense hasn’t had in quite some time.
    There are a few more, let me know if there is someone in particular you care about

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Final 9 for RB TreVeyon Henderson
    [​IMG]

9. BurntOrangeLH

Being a real noob to recruiting ins and outs, I would appreciate a comprehensive review of how accurate these pickers are. I notice that routinely on most rating services that picks like the Fab 55 are about 50% after the fifth year. Is anyone else really consistently better?

Remembering Brandon Jones and the Aggies fondly.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 does have a ranking of the pickers
    They have a math formula to compute the rankings - for example if someone went with player A to school 1 early in the process and that player ended up there, they get more points. But if they changed their school pick at the last second (which alot of them do) then that pick is not worth as much in the ranking, even though it was correct
    Just peruse 247 and you will see it

12. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Edit: Basketball player, never mind

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

oops, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. BurntOrangeLH

Yeah, 247 documents its data well. I was more wondering about the other services who are not as meticulous like IT, TFB, Longhons Wire, etc.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

17. BurntOrangeLH

Time for Longhorn Athletics media to step it up. It's a Brave New World out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

top 10 for 2021 4-star WR Dekel Crowdus of Lexington, KY
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB (Super K) on the Milroe rumors

I know there has been some talk about the possibility of Jalen Milroe looking elsewhere, due to some of the offers extended by the new Texas offensive staff.

I spoke with a source who told me that while Milroe may still be entertaining scenarios, as of now he is solid and the talk of Alabama and Auburn is overblown.

The big takeaway from my conversation with said source is that it’s going to depend on how the QB pieces move around. In other words, if Texas doesn’t land another QB, then Milroe stays.

If Texas does land another QB, that doesn’t necessarily mean he leaves but he would likely look at other possibilities.

But until something changes, I don’t think there is really much to worry about.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Alabama perspective on the Brocks
    Alabama Crimson Tide, Alabama football, Alabama recruiting, Brockermeyer twins

All signs from an outsider's perspective point the two Brockermeyers following in the family tradition and staying in-state. They may decide to build their own legacy outside of the Lone Star State. BamaInsider.com had an in-depth conversation with Blake, Tommy and James Brockermeyer about the recruiting journey, how they are managing the recruiting process during the COVID-19 pandemic, pressure on staying home and their serious interest in Alabama which many believe has the best chance to steer the twins away from Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  21. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Decision date: May 10

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There was something in there that he thought our contact had faded

23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

great hair though!

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

= future endorsement money
    just got to get to the show

• Like Like x 2
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Top 7 for 4-star Davies
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I agree, but they better have great facts or they’ll have their heads handed to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We offered 2021 4-star OLB Aaron Willis from Baltimore
    Might have had a previous relationship with Hutzler
    And is supposed to have some connection to the state (like maybe was born in San Antonio)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts