2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Oct 28, 2021.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

How many aggy tears will there be if they don’t get Vic?

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Fingers crossed that Vic is really happy here and with a sleek new Moody Center upcoming he'll politely turn them down. Anyway, unsure about Aggies willing to hire a UT coach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

A&M class of ‘84. That being said, I'd guess Bond-White has to be in serious contention. How long has she been the associate head coach? Since Vic left for MSU?

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hoping CDC put a buyout clause in Vic's contract, especially if he wanted to leave for A&M. Still, A&M would pay it.

To quote Mulkey, "never say never". What makes Vic a strong possibility to leave for A&M is him being an A&M grad, his family full of Aggies, having coached at A&M, and the physical move only being around 100 miles away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. This was always the big elephant in the room when he was hired. Some on here have said that it won’t happen because he knew that Blair was going to retire pretty soon and he decided to leave for Texas instead of staying at Miss st. and waiting. But I don’t agree with that. We’re going to find out how good of an AD, CDC really is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Prior to hiring him, I have to assume CDC spoke with Vic about the inevitable job opening at A&M as Blair was most likely going to retire in 3-5 years. So, all we can do is hope that occurred and the possibilities were addressed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

CDC is a sharp cookie. I would be utterly shocked if I learned this was not addressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Vic would have to give a significant discount to go to aggy. A&M is paying Blair $800K a season and hard to fathom they'd raise it that much. Vic gets $1.8M at Texas.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A&M would mortgage Reed Arena if it meant being able to tell the world they outbid Texas for a head coach.

A&M has a lot more money now than they did prior to joining the SEC.

And, I'm sure A&M admins hated it that Chris Plonsky lured A&M Women's tennis coach Howard Joffe to Texas a few years ago, and he won a national title at Texas this past May/June.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Good point. They beat their chests like King Kong when they outbid themselves for a head coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess the good news (?) is that nothing definite is gonna happen until the 2021-22 season is over next March/April. Not sure what is etiquette these days, and although A&M admins are probably starting their vetting process, I doubt CDC would allow them to speak with Vic until our season is over; but, then again, the season hasn't even started yet, so who knows.

But, Vic will be expecting his 2022 recruits to sign national letters of intent for Texas in less than 2 weeks. His post-signing comments will be interesting to dissect.

And, if he accepts any additional verbal commitments for the class of 2023 and beyond, perhaps that keeps his focus on Texas long-term.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  14. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Call me naive, but it never occurred to me that Vic would even consider the aTm position. He took the Horns to the elite 8 in his first year, he got a top 5 recruiting class (sky's the limit), competitive salary, gets to live in Austin. What in aggy land would entice him to leave?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

IMO, a move to College Station would be more about emotions and family-related (what his family wants) rather than how well he's done at Texas as it pertains to results on the court and on the recruiting trail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I agree. Plus Vic will be playing in the best venue in college basketball next season when the Moody Center opens its doors. Additionally, Vic seems to have a great relationship with CDC. Mulkey and the Baylor AD were at odds which was a big factor in her departure to LSU.

I think the best person for the A&M job might be Kelly Bond-White. She’s been with Blaire since 2003 and has in-depth knowledge of the A&M program and culture. She’s currently making around $250k. In retrospect, I think Miss State would have been better off if they would have hired from within and promoted Coach Johnnie as HC.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think you are being naive. He's an alum who coached and helped them win a NC there. His entire family are basically alums of the school.

18. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Vic isn’t going anywhere. Aggies just don’t offer the same resources Texas does and that includes every aspect. Chris Del conte won’t let Vic leave and the way this program is coming together Vic won’t leave that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m sure Vic knew Blair was planning to retire fairly soon. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to leave MSU and start over at Texas just to turn around and start over again. At least not to me it doesn’t. He’s got everything he needs at Texas to succeed and get well paid for it. I doubt he has any complaints about living in Austin either.

• Like Like x 5
  20. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Vic will retire from Texas.
    Hookem

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Austin is not a great place any more.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well you can certainly have CS, I’d stick with Austin hands down

• Agree Agree x 6
  23. Sangre Naranjada

That Austin is no longer a great place does not imply Malfunction Junction is.

24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

When I arrived as a freshman in 1982, I had old hippies grumbling "Austin ain't what it was no more".

When I went away to grad school (at College Station) and came back for a permanent job, those at my company who didn't know I had lived in Austin before grumbled, "Austin ain't what it used to be"

When I moved to my current address years later, those in the neighborhood who had been there "a while", since the 2000's thought I was some new transplant from CA and grumbled, "Austin. Not what it used to be"

The only people with the right to grumble about Austin not being what it used to be were the people who founded Waterloo, the original name of Austin. And even then, I'm sure the Apaches who roamed the Hill Country would have something to say about that.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

If you like the **** show that Austin has become with a population approaching (if not surpassing) 1,000,000 people, have at it. I left 21 years ago and don't miss it one tiny bit.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  26. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I was at UT in the 70s and loved Austin. My son is currently a sophomore there and he also really likes it (especially now that he doesn't have to remain sequestered in his apartment). The city has changed, no doubt, and the traffic by all accounts is horrible. It still though has the music, culture, lakes, parks and University that make it a cool town. If Vic has issues with the traffic, a driver and comfortable backseat with wi-fi could fix that. As for the family aggyness, wife went to Arkie State and daughter to Miss. State. I say he ain't leaving.

• Agree Agree x 5
  27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Ok....I graduated UT in 1970. It’s changed. It has.......and we all have. I’m better now than then. I think overall Austin is too. There are lots of players and coaches (Schaefer) I think like it too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Way to help out in recruiting student-athletes to Austin! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Austin is a wonderful city... Most kids would love its energy.
    :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, like the opinion of one grouchy old guy who prefers small town living is going to sway any 18 year old's mind about attending UT.

Nobody on this board has that type of influence.

• Like Like x 2