2022 House and Senate election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Kind of like the idea

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They did it in California, got in trouble with the election commission, and successfully sued to get them back.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

20221118_081641.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

"MAGA can't win elections"

Yeah, they won't if they keep getting sabotaged by GOP leadership.

6. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

you're going to have to do a little more to connect the dots for me. where does the "sabotage" come in? there may be a ton of money involved in today's politics but i see scant evidence that all this crazy money being spent is actually moving the voting needle in most races. I think this author is just trying to make this seem more salacious than it is by tying it to the FTX scandal.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

BOSD
    Just research how many DA's backed by Soros have won in the past 4 years

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's as if spending money (or not spending) has an effect on elections. Imagine that.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And yet it doesn't seem to bother either of you that Trump pushed to nominate a bunch of these guys and then basically ditched them after the primaries even though he had a huge amount of money to work with. He made the same calculation McConnell did.

10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's not Trump's job to financially support these people. These MAGA people were tied or ahead in every poll and McConnell didn't spend money on them. On top of that McCarthy and McConnell spent money to OPPOSE them.

Don't try to tell me that Mitch's internal polling is better than Trafalgar or the People's Pundit either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Not sure what your comment was referencing.
    My post was pointing out money spent can influence a campaign.

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Btw, the AG's office is looking for answers. His office's response to this **** show is in the tweet.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The first responsibility is on the candidates themselves to raise money. Nobody is obligated to help them, including McConnell and Trump, but you treat McConnell's supposed obligation to throw money at any GOP nominee as though it absolves Trump of supporting the candidates he initially backed. Don't you wonder about it? Why give money to a bunch of candidates and then throw them under the bus after the primary? If you actually believe in the candidates and want them to win, it makes no sense.

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It is McConnell's job to help the senate candidates. Instead, he bad mouthed them and provided a paltry amount in close races. He gave 9 million to help a RINO beat a MAGA person. You're defending the indefensible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

One can argue that McConnell should have given more money. However, his rationale made sense. He didn't believe in these candidates, so it made sense that he wouldn't throw a lot of money their way. Trump's rationale doesn't make sense. He presumably did believe in these candidates. Why cut them off after the primary? Again, regardless of what you think of McConnell, don't you wonder why Trump hung them out to dry?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Horn2RunAgain

Back to garmel's point. Why send 9 million to Murkowski, trying to beat another republican? Please explain

17. Horn2RunAgain

As John McEnroe was fond of saying, You cannot be serious!!!?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yes, Trump spent 20 million on his candidates so he did spend money. Do you want to compare the size of Trump's and McConnell's war chests (no dirty thoughts, Deez. lol)?

McConnell runs the show and he blew it. Trump's not in charge of the republican war chest, McConnell is. Maybe the Turtle should have spent more money on close races than on his buddies.

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

:clap:

RINO logic.

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

There is a shift in Republican Party that started with Trump. McConnell is a part of the old guard protecting his turf. It's just a matter of time until he and the like are purged. At least I hope. We need a strong right party that will fight the left with everything they have, not look for the first chance to make a compromise that allows moves the country to the left.

Voters will abandon the party if the party doesn't change. Losing repeatedly on purpose will open up a space for a 3rd party to take its place. Kind of like what the Republican Party did 160 years ago.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Neither of you really have an answer other than to redirect to McConnell, so we let's assume for the sake of argument that McConnell should have done more for Trump's candidates and shouldn't have helped Murkowski despite what he thought of those candidates and their chances. Trump was supposedly was a big believer in these candidates. Why didn't he do more for them in the general election? Second question, why don't you care?

It just seems odd that Trump said, "don't listen to Cocaine Mitch. Nominate my guys." The party goes along, but when the candidates needed his help, the response is, "that's not my MFin job. Go ask the guy whose candidates I told you to reject." It's weird, and it's weird that you all not only have no no criticism of it, you aren't even curious about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

McConnel on 7 senate races spent 3 times the size of Trump's entire war chest. You seem to not understand the size difference here. With 42 endorsements I calculate Trump could not have spent even 2 million per candidate more before he ran out. Whatever Trump spent would not be good enough to make any difference.

McConnell played politics here and it burned us. He controls the republican war chest and that's why he has the most cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Horn2RunAgain

Is McConnell the leader of the party? Or the treasurer of his preferences? I think he's proven to be the latter

He **** all over candidates running under his banner. Time to bury him under that same banner (figuratively) because we're going nowhere with him as a "leader". Two weeks ago that became painfully obvious regardless of how you or anyone else paints his failures

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Again, neither of you have an explanation other than to misdirect back to McConnell.

25. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Trump picked some idiot candidates. McConnell observed that the reason some who should win (Walker, Oz?) were weak. They were Trump’s responsibility. Walker? Please

the GOP should have won both Georgia seats two years ago, but no. And not because of MM

Trump. Plays checkers instead of chess

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Because McConnell is the one with all of the cash, not Trump.

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

First, Trump is personally a billionaire. Second, he raised a crapload of money and could have been massively helpful to his candidates. It's just weird that he supposedly had so much faith in these guys, but once the primary was over, he wasn't very helpful to them. Regardless of what McConnell should have been doing, Trump's decision makes little sense unless his main goal was to screw with McConnell rather than to elect Republicans.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Garmel
    Your point about McConnell spending other people's money ,not his own, seems quite salient.
    I wonder how much of his own money he has donated?

• Like Like x 2
  29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'll worry about Trump's performance once he's the senate leader or House minority leader. McConnell and McCarthy both put the money to their friends and even spent money to go against MAGA. To try to bring Trump into this is weird since he's not in control of the republican war chest. McConnell can raise more cash for an election than Trump can even dream of.

This is akin to trying to say the defensive line coach was as much to blame for the loss as the head coach in a football game.

Not many rich people spend their own money in elections. They raise money through PACs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Garmel, is that what Soros does?