2022 House and Senate election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Ordinarily, I'm an advocate for decorum and despise MTG, and if Swalwell was a generally quiet guy who was leaving at the end of his term in shame, I'd say she was out of line. However, he's a smack-talking, partisan douche who obnoxiously and self-righteously runs his mouth as though his **** doesn't stink and as though he never did anything wrong. If he's going to be like that, he should have this thrown in his face every time he opens his mouth. He should never hear the end of it, because this should have ended his career and been a point of tremendous shame. It's frightening to me that it didn't. If a prominent Chinese politician got caught banging an American spy, does anyone think that politician would keep his leadership position? Hell no. He'd go to the slammer for the rest of his life and get the bamboo torture.

And you gotta love the outrage from pretentious liberals who routinely say much worse and more baseless things about their opponents.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

There is no room for decorum in US politics in 2023. There is only room for defeating and/or shaming your enemies. Swalwell should be in jail and Republicans in government should figure out a way to make that happen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’ve enjoyed seeing the look on Swalwell’s face each time even though I think it demeans the Congress. But my view of Congress is so low not sure it really matters.

I would like to see the US move to whatever it’s called when the British House of Commons does their shouting matches.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Question hour, or PM Questions.

• Like Like x 2
  8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

10. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Well, it’s always been legal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's also possible to acknowledge merit in both arguments. The mail-in balloting basically ensures that Democrats will always turnout in pretty big numbers - even if they don't try to do anything fraudulent. They don't have to put down their joints or blunts and go to a polling station. They can just drop something in the mail. The GOP is foolish to just forfeit that advantage to them.

I heard Dick Morris say that about 5 percent of people fully intending to vote in person fail to do so for various reasons - forgetfulness, car trouble, traffic, inconvenience, etc. Democrats basically don't have to worry about this anymore, while the GOP still does. If it's a close race, that factor alone can be decisive. The point is that in states that allow mail-in voting without cause, we need to be like the Democrats and heavily encourage its use.

Having said that, does this mean candidate quality was irrelevant? Of course not. Might a non-carpetbagger who wasn't weird have defeated John Fetterman especially if a freak show wasn't our gubernatorial nominee? Of course. Might we have won in Arizona had we had a nominee who didn't tell a significant number of our own voters to "get the hell out?" Very good chance. Might we have defeated Warnock with basically just a regular guy (basically another Brian Kemp) as our nominee rather than a guy who slapped his ******* around and paid for abortions? Almost for sure.

15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Or we could talk about the establishment senatorial candidates that McConnell had that also got blown out. That's why blaming Trump doesn't really work. Trump's candidates along with McConnell's and McCarthy's were polling to win big and something happened.

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We can talk about any candidates. There just were more Trump-affiliated candidates (especially for senate and governor) who lost close-but-winnable, high profile races, which is why I bring them up.

17. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Failed us again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Do you think all those close races were fair with no interference?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

No matter what the facts are it's Trump's fault even if McCarthy and McConnel had winnable races go against them as well. At this point it's pretty much a religion.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It depends on what you mean by that.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Dude, it's not a religion for me. I've assigned blame on this to multiple interests. It much more of a religion to think Trump has no blame.

22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well for instance the Az Guv race?

23. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

We know who the party members blame.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm sure they blame Trump, and I'm sure Trump blames them. In reality, the parties should be blamed for the poor turnout machine (didn't exploit mail-in voting), and Trump should be blamed for raiding the local homeless shelters for candidates. Two things can be true at once.

25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

All I know is I'm not seeing anyone but McConnell blame Trump. I've seen plenty of ire toward our leadership.

Many of McConnell's senate candidates did worse than Trump's. Were they homeless shelter candidates too?

Sorry, I'm gonna give you a hard time today. :p

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Maybe. Which ones are you referring to?

It's ok. I'd be more offended if you didn't.

27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'll give you one off the top of my head. O'Dea in Colorado. He was supposed to lose but he ended up getting wiped out by 15 points. McConnell put a lot of money into that race if I remember correctly.

The "bad" candidates were leading in the polls too. Like McHammer's article said it was probably the ballot harvesting that doomed us. Everybody knows that's going on except you RINOs. :p

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well AZ in 2022 was sure affected by cheating
    Or a massive amount of mistakes that only negatively affected Republicans

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Imagine thinking the Republicans will do anything but lose. It's on purpose.

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The entire vote-by-mail crap hurt the entire election for the GOP. No question about it.

As for O'Dea, was he a bad candidate, or was he a mediocre candidate running an unwinnable race and throwing a Hail Mary (clashing with Trump) that ended up making it worse? The way I look at that race, he was running in a blue state against a 2-term incumbent who had a strong incumbent governor (the only sane Democrat in the United States on Covid) at the top of the ticket. The race wasn't winnable by anyone. Could it have been closer? Maybe, but probably not dramatically so. (CO has universal mail-in balloting.) FWIW, he did outperform the GOP gubernatorial nominee by a little.

Nevertheless, O'Dea's defeat isn't what made '22 a bad night for the GOP just like Tiffany Smiley's loss in WA didn't make it a bad night. Those were long shots that were only possible under the very, very best of conditions. What made it a bad night was losing the more winnable races in PA, AZ, NV, and especially GA. We should have won every one of those, and we pissed all four of them away. (I'm less pissed about NH, because I don't think that one was winnable unless Sununu ran, and he didn't.)

• Agree Agree x 1