2022 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

To All:
    So here are the only questions that matter. Where did he leave the program and why did he leave if he was building it to a higher level. Sabre would know.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

First, I would pump the breaks on the whole star discussion until they get here. The evaluation, I leave to the coaches we have in place. nobody here has any clue of who will be ready and who will not. We are not at the practices nor the games, and We have no on hands experience in player evaluation. I leave that to coach Flood. The one thing I know is they are young and there will most likely be some serious growing pains I’m sure, but I still feel this will soon be an area of strength. I think we should just let this play out, not be quick to judge, and enjoy the ride. This is a haul like we haven’t seen on the 40 acres trenches wise. Both starters and depth. This is great teams are built.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps I’m nuts but I still believe there is a possibility that Tommy Brockermeyer portals after the game next week.The short term issue (if we were to be so lucky) would be the reality that he has yet to see the field at the college level if I am not mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

We can all just sunshine pump, say “I’ll defer to the coaches …..” and not bother to either post on a thread titled Recruiting. Or, we can use history, experience in the sport, film analysis and opinions of those supposed experts and in the know and have fun prognosticating and offering our opinions in such a thread. I have recently spent a considerable amount of time analyzing recruiting ratings (stars and more importantly, number rating) compared to NFL draft results. While every individual is different and there are 6.1 five stars who flame out and 5.5 three stars who develop and turn into 1st round draft picks, the data is extremely overwhelming in support of the recruiting ratings. I’ve read a number of analyses with all offering similar numbers, somewhere in the vicinity that 6.1 five star players have a 20% chance of being a 1st round draft pick and a 56% chance of being drafted, while a four star has a 3% chance of being a 1st round draft pick and an 18% chance of being drafted, while a star has a .7% chance of being a 1st round draft pick and a 7% chance of being drafted. Those stats are devastating and difficult to argue against. We sit around all day and convince ourselves that our coaches represent the one FBS program who can go against the grain and defy the data without skewing it, but I think we are smarter than that, or should be. If we give the experts, or those who spend hundreds of hours to analyze technique and success and give ratings to recruits any credit (which we should since they NFL drafts are proving them more accurate than we previously believed), then you can bet on the fact that for the majority of recruits, a 6.0 four star is much 1 tenth worse than a 6.1 five star and 2 tenths better than a 5.8 four star. Programs are built with groups like this. But they can be built faster with proven portal talent, just like they could be built faster if you brought in all 6.1 five star or 6.0 four star recruits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

7. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I think speculation has been from his announcement that he plans to follow Caleb Williams. But I would hope we would have interest if that is not the case. I don't remember if we were in the mix or not in his initial recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

9. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

I don't know anything about the kid, but if he is a decent character then I think our BMDs should throw the NIL kitchen sink at him. He was the #1 national WR recruit in last year's class, a step or two above where Evan Stewart was this year. He also proved himself against D-1 talent this year as a true freshman while ES didn't exactly dominate in the Under Armour game last weekend against quality talent (no intended knock on Stewart as he did look very good in practices). But the point is Williams is a higher rated guy and a proven D-1 player, while we were disappointed unproven Stewart went Aggy when they gave him the NIL kitchen sink. This could be a blessing more so than a silver lining, if he is a good kid and we can motivate him.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

11. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

did not get a visit

12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He stated that he doesn't know where Caleb Williams is going but that's who he wants to be his QB.
    So whoever picks up Caleb get him as a package deal it would appear.

13. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

house call ... :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  14. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

thought this was cool ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. das3603

das3603 250+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Me too. He is a special talent if he can get his head straight. We were definitely interested and he is just as electric as Bijan but he has a character problem dating back into high school. Anytime you have to sit out a state championship you need to revisit what your conduct did!

21. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Until somebody, NCAA or the College Football coaches, gets some sanity about the NIL train wreck, the whole notion of ‘college football’ will almost certainly consume itself. I’ve closely followed recruiting since the late 1960’s. I remember well “The Worster Bunch” I don’t begrudge the aTm’s mania to buy their way to the top. That’s fine if that is what anybody intended, then hell, let’s get it on. It is beyond imagination that any legislator or administrator thought that $25-30MM per recruiting class was healthy for anybody. I think these goobers expected something like a few hundred bucks or a thousand to sign autographs at a car dealership, maybe some upscale clothes. Competing dollar for dollar with the NFL for HS kids is crazy as cocaine. The NFL has better sense than to do that. Like every genie, this one will be a bloody mess to rebottle. World’s fair level can of worms!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's hard to believe they're going to be able to keep up the pace. They've added more to Jimbo's contract so it may be they see the need to jump start the thing on his behalf. They are fully committed.

23. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Believe me, I live in aTm alternate universe. They’ll keep it up UNTIL they buy a national championship or some sane adult calls a halt to it. They got beaucoup bucks and out of control UT envy. That was before the SEC dose of sanity hit. One which, BTW, we are about to ingest.

24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

It's being reported that DE/LB Derrick Brown (Texarkana Texas High) is no longer an early enrollee.

Also 50/50 that DT Jaray Bledsoe (Marlin) is able to enroll early.

• poop poop x 3
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well, the desperation is probably hitting hard with the idea that it would be totally unacceptable to lose to UT and finish behind us in the standings. They'd have to swallow years of gloating. Oh wait. They should be used to that already.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 6
  27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

What day and time is the all star game in San Antonio? Is it on tv?

28. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Today at noon on NBC.

29. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

S Larry Turner-Gooden is supposed to announce today. Texas is the favorite.

• Like Like x 4
  30. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Noon today (Saturday) on NBC. I think it’s the best of the HS Allstar bowls.

• Agree Agree x 1