2022 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Malcom, Jun 5, 2021.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Forgot about the FGCU game after paying close attention via Live Stats with Clemson! Tuned in when we had just given up 2 runs to be behind 6-2. With this limited vision, it seemed some of our players were going back to bad habits of taking first whacks at balls, without being patient. Also surprised to see Mike defer to experience and not start any freshmen.

Well, OSU lost to Duke with Elish taking the loss. So there's that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

S
    Lol this makes me happy. She gave up a couple earned runs in her one inning against ASU yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I'm gonna stay neutra
    Racer do you know if Duke was ranked?

4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Shea wasn't that bad. She only gave up half as many hits as Czech. Regardless of what the official stats say that was 4 errors in the 2nd inning (2 back to back), with a walk to start off. Of course they scored 4 runs, could've been worse.

Then Czech gave them 2 more trying to field a fly she couldn't get to, which also should've been an error. That's basic fielding, with a backspin like like unless you can easily get too it, let it go, difinitely will spin into fould territory.

Czech did pitch good though. Shea will bounce back. Bats have to do something though, but that ref's strike zone didn't help. Maybe he won't be so biased when we're not playing FGC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

6. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Up 2-0 Wired that Jefferson struck out but Iakopo blast a full count bomb over left field fence. Hilton is getting the start in the circle.

7. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

1st inning 2 errors on the defense so far

8. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We sure are swinging and flying out on a lot of 3-1, 3-0 counts.

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Dang, Jefferson at 0-4 in the lead off spot. I mean, if you can't get a hit against Boston College . . .

10. Jacob Johnson

Everyone is struggling to get a hit. Yes we’re up 7-0 but only 4 hits the entire game against a not so good Boston college. We need not to leave Austin for opening week again. On the bright side, Hulon has been a gem in the circle

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  11. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

SOmeone needs to have a talk with them and let them know just bc its a hitters count doesn't mean they have to swing

12. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

Another error at 3b leads to a run.

White should be embarrassed at the player development.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jacob Johnson

I bet he regrets not bringing Cimusz and Scott now. Mike White said it’s a competition at 3rd but what I’ve seen it’s not much of a competition at all. Scott needs to be at 3rd. That error from Washington was just bad all around

14. Jacob Johnson

New season same errors and mistakes. Only difference this season so far is the offense can’t make up for our mistakes.

15. Jacob Johnson

I’ll shut up now:thumbup:

16. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

came prepared to post a meltdown, but the offense picked up. Still think we should draw more walks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Seems like some of you are expecting perfect defense the first 4 games of the season. That's just not realistic. Even the best players in the country make errors; so, too, do professional players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I agree but it seemed as if it was the same mistakes at last year. RF and 3B are the concerns again. I have faith in Parker. .

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Jacob Johnson

I don’t expect a perfect defense because, some of the balls were very tough grabs so everyone makes errors. I’m more so speaking of the plays that are just inexcusable. Example being the Washington error at 3rd today where the ball was thrown in the outfield which caused a Fgcu run and runner at 3rd. Plays like that just can’t happen at this level because it changes the game in a second. Hopefully we handle business tomorrow and get back to Austin and reset.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That error is so common, though, at all levels. I understand it resulted in a run; but, was it Washington's first error of the year? I think it was. Is that reason to panic? I'm not.

21. Jacob Johnson

In no way am I panicking especially knowing that Scott isn’t there. Texas needs to get it out now and not make it a season long thing like we have been for quite some time now.

22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Finished watching the replay of the FGCU game and had to show my wife the....scramble that occurred in the 6th inning where Jefferson somehow escapes the tagout and we have Parker and Day both standing on second wondering what's going on. My wife said, "Parker! You should have gone to third!" When I pointed out to her that there were 4 blue jerseys between her and third she said, "It doesn't matter! She's got to protect the runner behind her!"

I think Parker that she got tagged out.

And then my wife said to blame the coach at third base for that fiasco.

Mike, you hear that!?

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In what world does that work? Errors happen for all teams. Obviously, the goal is to have as few as possible over the course of the season, especially at critical points of the game.

24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I listened to about 3 innings of play on the radio of the game against BC. If you didn't hear:

1. Cantu started at catcher - odd! But if you didn't bring Katie Cimusz for the trip, I guess?

2. The original opponent was supposed to be Kent State. But the announcer thinks(?) BC had flight issues and asked to go first in tournament play and got to play Texas a second time

3. Announcer said that the new players have jerseys without their names on the back, whereas the veteran players were playing with their previous year jerseys with their last names on them.

Hunh. My wife said this pivot in gear must be part of a "we're a team, not individuals" strategy.

Maybe. But later on I thought, well it saves Texas from having to purchase 3 sets of new jerseys with new names for the next year when a player transfers out or graduates. Maybe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Can’t be too disappointed with a 4-1 start the first weekend out, but I figured if that was the case the loss would be to Clemson and not FGCU. Had our defense been better we probably would’ve won that game, but hey it’s February.

Our pitching staff is much, much improved. Dolcini is the ace we have been missing, Czech looked very good, and we all know Shea will come back stronger.

I do not see Elish getting pitcher of the year in the B12 like the league has predicted. That was all due to hype; I think it’ll be either Trauttwein or Bahl from OU. Dolcini would get it before Elish; I really never saw Elisha as elite.

If we can get our offense going a little better and get some of these impressive freshmen back with the team I think we will have a solid season. Gotta clean up the defense but that will come.

next game is Wednesday against McNeese, hopefully we can see what Simpson can do or let Shea get some confidence back before a tough weekend against a slew of ranked opponents next weekend.

hook em

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  26. Jacob Johnson

I think Shea needs to get the start on Wednesday only because, she didn’t have the best start this season and we will need her for the weekend. Now if she can put up a good few innings to the point Mike White feels comfortable then Simpson needs to get some innings as well. Wednesday needs to be our cleanup game to get everything figured out defensively and on the offensive side. There won’t be any easy games this upcoming weekend from the unranked opponents as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  28. Jacob Johnson

Simpson with the start and Cimusz getting the nod at catcher with Scott at shortstop.

29. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

At the game. Scott got moved to 3rd base and Washington to SS. For whatever reason? Simpson has a really nasty change-up!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  30. Jacob Johnson

Simpson and Scott are going to be gems. Scott has speed like no other and Simpson and her change up are just deadly. I can see her more in a relief role until she gets comfortable.