2022 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

People often discount the process of player improvement as well as overall team improvement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Nothing personal against Brianna Taylor, but when she was on the court, we were playing 4-on-5 offensive basketball. That is not going to be Shaylee Gonzles whatsoever. Don't see her as athletic as Ariel or Brianna.

While I haven't watched much video of Shaylee, what I have watched and her coach's comments lead me to believe she is a very crafty player who moves very well without the basketball. Not sure if she has some Euro-player offensive qualities, or more like Ashley Joens. I think she'll do well in our dribble-drive offense.

More than anything, I'm just glad we have someone else on the roster who provides some very solid minutes at PG when Rori is not on the floor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure Vic would be first the to tell you that he's not perfect, and makes mistakes like every other coach. I'm sure he regrets not putting Matharu in the game at Waco until the 7-minute mark of the second quarter when the game was basically already over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So happy to report that Khadija Faye posted a story on Instagram with a photo of her with the rest of the squad and Vic; so, that must mean she started second summer session classes on Monday. Blair Schaefer posted more (photoshoot) photos of Vic, and other players on her IG story.

No Sonya Morris, so I guess she and Shaylee will enroll in Fall classes come late August.

Khadija in the back far right.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will miss Matharu. Glad she showed class with her goodbye announcement.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

She’s an exceptionally talented player and I hate to see her go. I thought this would be HER year to really break out. Best of luck to you Aliyah! For me, this was more disappointing than the others…

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I hate to say it but I could see her going to Aggie :puke:

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She's from DC, so she could end up at a school in that area like Maryland, Virginia, NC State, North Carolina, etc. Maybe she'll join Ebo at Notre Dame.

Tough to know what her main objectives are: academics, closer to home, playing time, winning at an elite level, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Yes, Vic would be the first to admit he's not perfect. But that does not necessarily translate into "regret" in the instance you cite. Coaches as smart as Vic do not tend to act contrary to the best interests of the team. From what we've learned over the past two weeks, holding Aliyah out may have been a disciplinary move, we just don't know. Oftentimes a team will rally in these situations and overcome the handicap, but it didn't happen that particular night.

I really appreciate this forum and the insights the community gains from all the social media sleuthing several members practice. But thankfully, some internal matters will never be shared publicly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Good points @Moooooo but I don’t think she’ll have to worry too much about playing time in the right system. She’s so talented. I know she had foul trouble at tines and it kept her off the floor, but still feel she was not utilized as effectively as she could have been. I hope Vic does evolve offensively this year. I like the dribble drive, but imo you need to be more creative than just that, especially against a zone. Best to her…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Someone mentioned that they noticed her following an Arkansas coach out on social media.

Since Arkansas plays no defense and loves to shoot 3's, she wouldn't get into foul trouble in that scheme, and could shoot and score lots of points. That won't help her become a better defensive player. But, if she is looking for that type of offense that can maximize her scoring numbers, well I can see why Arkansas would be appealing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Doesn’t make sense that it was disciplinary since she did go in. As great a coach as Vic is, that was a big mistake. My hope is that he continues to evolve offensively, as Matharu was never utilized as effectively as she could have been. Some of that lies with her getting into foul trouble and the fact that we simply did not have the 3 point threats to spread the floor, especially at the 3 spot, to get her enough open looks. Truth be told, neither Joanne or Shay garnered enough attention from long distance. Morris is going to help, but I really believe Hunter has a breakout year. Really hate to see Matharu go, but wish her the best….

• Like Like x 3
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

One half, or one quarter disciplinary suspensions are common in football, so don't see why that would be off the table here.
    Same here.

14. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Again, not sure why you assume her not going in was for disciplinary reasons. That’s presumptive at best. There are plenty of other instances where many of us were perplexed at her lack of minutes, so Vic had his reasons which are most likely not disciplinary. Our lack of consistent 3 point shooting contributed significantly to many of our losses, including the Stanford loss, allowing teams to “collapse” their defense making it exponentially harder for our post players and also affecting our guards’ ability to penetrate and get to the rack. As Vic mentioned, we couldn’t score. He’s a smart coach and appears to have addressed our offensive woes. if Hunter comes on, even better. In the dribble drive OR any offensive scheme, it’s important to now have shooters that can score consistently from the perimeter, which other than Matharu and Rori towards the end of the year, we have not had.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Disciplinary doesn't necessarily have to be associated with unacceptable off-court behavior. Someone could be late for the bus, late for shoot around, etc or could be related to something that happened in practice. Someone could also serve extended bench time in order to "discipline" them to not keep making poor decisions on the court that lead to things like silly fouls, unforced turnovers, poor shot selection, etc.

Edit: If Vic were to discipline someone for unacceptable off-court behavior, I'm inclined to believe they'd not be suited up at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think my post about Vic not being perfect didn't quite translate.

This is a discussion board. If some of us want to question / discuss his substitution patterns, player minutes, in-game coaching decisions, coaching hires, etc., we will. I for one won't be censored with these common "Vic gonna Vic" statements trying to stifle discussion.

So, for those of us "Monday Morning QBs that attempt to critique every micro-move and every coaching decision", we will not be censored. And, if some posters get triggered by others on here who don't wear burnt orange-tinted glasses and prefer to only see rainbows and ponies, that's just something they will have to deal with as no coach on campus is above reproach; never has been, and never will be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Hmmm. Revealing that you felt you were being singled out.

Sorry, I have to go. My pony is eating my rainbows.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Oh, I know i'm not the only one on this DISCUSSION board who engages in realistic discussion about coaching decisions. But, just letting it be known that those type of topics will still be occurring whenever anybody feels like discussing them as they are not against the rules on this forum. So, if you want to get triggered by them, get triggered. Only the moderator can impose censorship here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I guess I should be flattered that you presume my opinions (the thing you are taking such a courageous stand to protect) have so much power.

20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Let's settle this by saying, regardless of opinion, EVERYONE IS RIGHT!

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

“That was not always appreciated by many”??? I haven’t seen a poster on here who isn’t ecstatic that Vic is our coach. He has far exceeded my expectations at this point, given the state of the program when he took over. Occasional questions about playing time, why we have trouble at times against zones, a loss here or there, a player leaving, not having the personnel to space the floor, offensive woes, but I’ve yet to see what you claim.

I don’t care who the coach is or at what school, EVERY message board for EVERY major program has posters who question and discuss coaching decisions when they underperform or lose, including UConn, Stanford and others. That’s far from “critiquing every micro-move”. You obviously are thinking of yourself, since even the slightest questioning of Vic gets a reaction out of you. Maybe that pony you speak of is weary of being jumped on and ridden to Vics defense unnecessarily over and over again, and famished from over-exertion, would eat anything including your rainbows.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  22. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Aside from the labored pony metaphor, I'm actually surprised and encouraged by your comments.

"I haven’t seen a poster on here who isn’t ecstatic that Vic is our coach."

Wow, I'll remember this post after the next defeat when the knives come out again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Reluctantly entering the fray........

In my opinion, questioning Vic's decision(s) that he makes during a game, does not mean that we don't love and appreciate Vic as our HC. As with all coaches, he isn't infallible and doesn't always call the perfect game. The criticism of Vic is healthy and very different from the criticism of Aston during her last two/three years as HC of TxWBB.

I think we all agree that TxWBB is in great hands with Vic & Co. Under his guidance, he has transitioned the program to prominence much quicker than any of us thought possible with the rag-tag roster that he inherited. Ironically, the more success that TxWBB achieves, the pressure on Vic will become more intense because our expectations are higher. Hopefully we can engage in healthy banter as we all have the common goal of winning the Big 12 and returning to the Elite 8/Final 4.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Not my problem if you are unwilling or unable to comprehend and accept that second guessing and discussing our shortcomings, wins and losses, and yes sometimes coaching decisions, is not only a normal part of ALL message boards, but in no way means we don’t appreciate Vic or respect him as our coach. Other message boards appear to me to be far more critical and judgmental of their coaches. In fact, Your inability to discern fact from fiction is quite apparent. I sure feel sorry for your sky pony though!!! Saying that we disagree with or don’t understand a decision here or there isn’t being disrespectful. BUT…..Since you seem to think that any question, discussion or disagreement re Vic’s decisions is an affront, and that everyone beats up on Vic, I’ll leave you to play fight in the mirror with your plastic sword of righteousness. Its really not that serious…..

OH….AND BY THE WAY…..I REALLY ENJOY MANY Of YOUR POSTS AND APPRECIATE YOUR PASSION FOR THE PROGRAM AND VIC….

25. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I try to think of it from the AD's perspective. Going into each game, CDC has only two choices: 1) go with Vic as his WBB coach, or 2) find somebody better.

Prior to the game, CDC can not predict the game flow, which players will be hot, or which players may be off (neither can Vic.) Fortunately, CDC doesn't have to. He placed his trust in Vic to lead the program and he supports that coach, yes, even through the lows of the 3-game losing streak in February. He is not expecting undefeated seasons, just yet.

I admit that the sniping wears thin at times. Yes, some of it is constructive, but often it is just plain negative, stemming from the sorrow/disappointment we all feel after a loss. I often wish I could ask the snipers two questions:

1) would you have prefered that CDC replace Vic before the game, since you found fault in our fallible coach? Ironically, there are only two choices available to fans also, 1) support the coach, or 2) lobby CDC to throw the bum out. All of our second guessing will not change history as we review and discuss the game, armed to the teeth with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight.

2) was the game influenced by the players to any degree, or did it hinge solely on coaching decisions and substitution patterns made by the coach? The answer is obvious, it's a little bit of both, but at times in the after-game discussions you would never realize that the players failed to play winning basketball at crucial moments. Or maybe, just maybe, the other guy was better than us on that particular night.

Lastly, I am happy to acknowledge that most of our game, coaching, and roster discussions stem from each person's fundamental desire for the best for our team. May it always be so.

26. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

And RESPECTFULLY, Sir/Madam, you have emphatically made my point. Please show me inferences to anyone wanting Vic fired…..please!!! The vast majority on here are beyond happy with Vic. You take even the slightest of criticisms or questioning personally, flat out accusing others of things they never meant or even said. Bringing CDC into the fold now? Really? AGAIN, Vic has been EXCEPTIONAL, and has done more with less than any coach we could have gotten. He’s easily top 5 in the country…..

If you had accused us of this with regard to Aston, you’d have a point. She did less with more and needed to go. This has become comical…

27. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

And all the latest discussion has what to do about the 2022 transfer season...?

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Hot Hot x 1
  28. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
  29. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3