2023 Portal Recruiting (Opens December 5th)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by cnb, Nov 27, 2022.

1. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

2. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Tucker and Michigan State taking some gut punches today.

3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

With the portal closing in a few hours, IT mentioned they aren't hearing anything on any other Texas players deciding to transfer out.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My understanding is that while players must declare and submit the paperwork by midnight tonight, the schools from which they are transferring have 48 hours to input the information into the portal. So it is possible that a player who has decided to portal tonight may not be known until Tuesday. That is, unless he makes it known, as most seem to be doing.

So what I’m saying is that technically we’re not completely out of the woods with respect to potential players portaling from Texas until midnight Tuesday.

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

6. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

7. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

We want Malik to stay a Longhorn:headbang:
    It was great seeing how happy he and his father were after Malik's outstanding play at Spring game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I expect we will see Malik on the field a lot this year.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If you disagree, go ahead and state why.

11. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I certainly hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

But doesn't that mean that some **** has gone down with Ewers?

Don't get me wrong, I like playing whoever gives us the best chance for big plays and wins. But I don't see us as 2006 Florida with Leak and Tebow. If Murphy is playing, it's because something has gone horribly wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

OR we are comfortably in the lead.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

From what I know about Murphy’s talent I feel that Sark will put him in at anytime, lead or not.
    Back to portal news.
    Seems that a bunch of pundits were hugely wrong on us losing more players to the portal. Proves the world is full of so called “experts” hoping to report negative crap.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Or it means that Sark has designed a package or two that he can insert Murphy at any time to discombobulate the defensive coordinators.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sark has proven he is not apt to freely substitute qbs.
    Personally, I have always believed that 2nd string qbs should play at least one series in every game. If a series is 3 and out, then one more series. I know there is only so many series a game, so caution must be taken.
    I like a backup qb having some experience in stressful situations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pom,

With those thoughts, you must have pulled a two week drunk celebrating when Mack Brown left.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It's just that Sark is so cautious he won't play Murphy unless we have a 3 touchdown lead in the middle of the 4th quarter. Yes I don't approve of Sark's MO.

19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Not too many QB's get through the season unscathed. I suspect Ewers will miss at least a game or two again. OL is improving, but still not where it needs to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Actually, I had conflicting feelings when Brown was let go. He brought us back to prominence. But I think he lost his zeal and was burning out. I remember thinking he needed one season of sitting out to recharge his batteries.

21. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I'm all in for the discombobulation offense!
    As for those who believe we should insert 2nd string QB in every game regardless of the situation. Well, I'm betting those same folks would be the first to say "Why in the hell did Sark put QB2 in and lose the game for us?!?" when the less experienced QB throws a pick 6 to lose.
    Regardless, I'd like to see a healthy dose of MM against overmatched opponents.

22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

a half empty glass type of guy I see.

Suppose the first string throws a pick six. Will he come in the next series because we suppose the second the 2nd string will throw a pick six also since he is not as good as the first string?

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Y
    You're having a Mack Brown flashback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Nope, I'm def a glass half full type - positive about the Horns in virtually every circumstance. Would like to see more of that from some. Wouldn't yank #1 for a pick 6 because he's #1 for a reason and #2 is that for a reason too.

25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This was one of several near fatal flaws with Mack Brown. Hey, he did take us to the Promised Land, so there’s that.

All throughout the 2009 season I was begging him (figuratively, of course) to play Gilbert. Although many games were contested well into the 2nd half, MB had plenty of opportunities to play the backup. True, Gilbert was excellent for much of the Alabama game but the additional experience he didn’t get during the 2009 season could have translated into a win that night in January.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

56 of 85 scholarship players at CU are gone? Not sure if this is crazy or genius, but changes are for real in Boulder.

28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

so obviously they'll suck next year and he has the prefect excuse. he can promise early playing time to top recruits telling them they'll be drafted after 3 years.

i'd hate this if i was an alum, but i'm not so whatever lol

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

How can it be worse than 1-11 with No hope for improvement?
    Deon has been successful as a coach

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Coaching Jackson State in the SAC differs dramatically from coaching a D1 in the PAC. Yet, taking over a 1-11 team would make anyone look like a genius. That’s probably why he took “that” job.

Sanders will win six or seven games this year, be on the cover of every magazine, and all over social media as he seeks and will revel in the attention. He always does. After that he will probably top out at about eight wins.