2023 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Does Jordan become DH now?

2. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Is Mia’s move to CF permanent?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

She does seem comfortable out there. I love it if she covers the gaps and handles the ball cleanly.

4. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I think the most clear thing the defense of swaps showed is that Martinez has more range than washington a SS. I still think Scott is the best 3B option when she is in a good head space. So I would probably do washington 2b Martinez SS Scott 3B Goode CF

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I wouldn't say just yet that Vivianna has better range than Washington. And I've always liked Corona at third defensively. I, like TV announcers though there was something to be said about Mia's smile/body language in the outfield. I don't really like Goode in centerfield/outfield, she in my opinion didn't break well on ball off the bat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Baylor knocked of OU, believe 4-3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Mia's quick vertical speed towards a ball is what impressed me her freshman year. However, that also resulted in some mishandling of the ball. Great arm to toss the ball to first....but didn't have the lateral speed to snare balls in between 3rd and SS.

Also, a few times this last tournament she had poor communication with the pitcher or she jumped in front of a ball that the SS seemed to be ready to handle and then mishandling the ball. I think Mike needed to get her out in the outfield to lessen the chaos Scott's presence was generating. A very odd thing to say for a player in her second year at the same position.

But....happier, more relaxed Scott equals great hits after the job switch?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Ik Goode was a great defensive player but I didn’t expect her to be so great offensively. Excited for the future and continued development of her game.

I also think Texas played their best defense when Scott is in the outfield with Washington at 3rd and Martinez at SS. I think Texas should look at making that move permanent or at least until Dayton gets back healthy. An outfield with Scott, Popelka, and Dayton is a deadly combination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I agree about infield just wish we had our usual mid-week game. V-Tech will surely test our new alignment. I had forgotten about Bella.

• Like Like x 1
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

If/when Bella comes back, who in the outfield gets pulled? Probably Lou Gilbert?

12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Bella Dayton. Jacob finally mentioned her. She is one of the best center fielders we’ve had in a long time. Great speed and She made some great sliding catches last year! I felt the combination of Washington, Martinez, and Goode was the best infield I’ve seen. Mia led the team in errors last year and Washington has a better glove. Not sure where Mia goes If she is not happy in the outfield. Coach White has a tough decision to make.

13. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I think the OF when bella comes back is Mia Scott LF, Bella CF, Mahoney RF. Unless Scott returns to 3B and Goode moves back to OF. I think either way Martinez ability to make the play on the run better than washington for sure puts her at SS

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

You have to think that the coaching staff has been tinkering with this combination in practices? It was such a sudden change, but none of the players seemed confused about their new assignments.

I know all through Fall ball it was Scott 3rd, Martinez SS, and Washington 2nd. I figured Martinez lost the SS job because she made so many errors in the Fall and got regulated to second.

15. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

The one place she is not going to is the bench...lol

16. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Once Alyssa won the SS job from Parkerr last year she has been rock solid at SS. The combo Alyssa and Janae was one of the best in all softball in last year's post season.
    I felt when both Vivianna and Leigh committed there could be a real battle in the infield cause they both played the position (SS) in HS. I can't get past Mia's body language after the change, I think she likes it.
    I played softball a few years and it takes a really special player to mentally and athletically play 3rd base, no matter the level of play.

17. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know the status of Maddie Pomykalski?
    I think she was also a good SS in HS...

18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

She has been seen in t-shirt and windpants and sometimes jersey and shorts. I don't think she'll be playing this year. She must have suffered an injury in the Fall.

19. Jacob Johnson

Speaking of Dayton. She has been cleared per her instagram. Might see her against Virgina Tech on Friday.

• Like Like x 3
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

22. Modelo22

Modelo22 25+ Posts

This coach MW needs to wake up!!!!!!!!!!! late in the game you need to throw off speed. know whats working.

23. Jacob Johnson

Mike White has got to figure out when it’s time to pull a pitcher. Morgan should’ve finished out that last inning after the first two run homerun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

That was terrible....Wayy too much coaching

25. Modelo22

Modelo22 25+ Posts

yes agree show something different

26. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Vivianna bunting?????

27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

And they had an extensive meeting between Vivi and the coaches before she went up to bat!

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

1. Get a lead in runs
    2. Get confident, put in players to get playing time
    3. Leave your pitcher in too long and errors pile up in the infield
    4. Other team catches up and beats you

I wanted to scream at the coaches at the end of the game.

This is ALL at the feet of Mike White when he decided to give Bella playing time and shifts EVERYONE back to the error prone infield of the beginning of the season.

And, back-to-back HRs will also kill ya.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Racer, why have Vivianna bunting when she has proven to be a good contact hitter?? And like you said why change the defense? Where is the strategy in that? If we just wanted playing time for Bella why not just move Mia to right and leave infield intact? This one will bother me till tomorrow....lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  30. Jacob Johnson

We can all agree Mike White has made some questionable decisions that cost Texas games against Kentucky and now Virginia Tech. All the subbing against ranked opponents needs to stop. Only person who should’ve came out was Czech! This team has what it takes but our staff is not helping them gain any confidence.

• Agree Agree x 2