2023 Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by bystander, Mar 30, 2023.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

And here we go... in case anyone forgot, these are your Texas Rangers. The God's have reminded us. We signed deGrom for big bucks. He was lauded as the best pitcher in baseball. Throws rockets and has a wicked slider. So he gets the opening day start and look at his line after three innings:

upload_2023-3-30_15-58-33.png

He's given up a home run, two triples and two doubles. All I can think is that the Texas Rangers have a way of making a great player mediocre or he's tipping his pitches. You know they are supremely disappointed in this.

2. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Are we the equivalent to Cleveland for QB's for some baseball players?

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, well, we won.

4. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Yes, we won, but as a Rangers fan since 1972, I am concerned. It's opening day and I hope I am wrong.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Not to worry - there are only 161 more games remaining in the season.

6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I’ve been a fan since 1972, too. I’ve learned to appreciate the wins and to not climb out on the ledge with every loss.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

DeGrom also had 7 strikeouts. If he stays healthy he is one of the best in MLB so I take some positives from his just being day one available and that the Rangers have a chance to get 35-39 more starts from him this year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hope you are right FW. It was painful watching him yesterday.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers blow out Phillies today to keep the undefeated start and go to 2-0 with the chance to sweep the season opening series tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Didnt see it but 16-2 was a serious asskicking in MLB baseball.

GO RANGERS!!

11. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Spring optimism in Arlington! I look forward to it every year.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

DeGrom with good start today. Six innings, 11 k's and first win as Ranger.:texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HornHuskerDad

^He was pretty well dominant, giving up only one earned run. And even better was the fact that the bullpen gave up nothing! IMO, the bullpen is still the big worry for the Rangers for this season - if the bullpen can perform, there is a reasonable shot at the postseason.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hope so HHD. However, the bats disappeared against better Baltimore pitching.

15. NottaHorn

NottaHorn 25+ Posts

I too have been a Ranger fan since about 1972. The joy of April Rangers baseball paired with the heartbreak of Rangers baseball from July on, is part of my DNA now, as is the annual belief that “it’ll be different this year”. Gluttons for punishment, all of us!

• Like Like x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

Well, apparently playing Kansas City is a good way to rack up some wins. The Rangers certainly laid a huge blow on KC yesterday. And DeGrom is on the mound tonight for the Rangers. Would be good to get a sweep of KC before heading to Houston to play the Astros later this week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. WorsterMan

... and tonight leading the lowly Royals 4-3 B 8th...

Close the door Rangers!!

18. WorsterMan

Get it done Rangers!!

19. WorsterMan

Walk. Crap Royals man on 1 and 2 with no outs...

20. WorsterMan

Need strikes!!

21. WorsterMan

Need a DP!!

22. WorsterMan

Base hit, men on 1 and 2, 4-4 8th only 1 out.

23. WorsterMan

Horns laid an egg and lost to Southwest State Teachers College @ DFF.

SWTSU is Alma Mater of LBJ, FWIW....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  24. WorsterMan

10th Royals tie it and go up by 1.

B 10 Rangers tie it 5-5..

Then lightning strikes: Heim 3 run HR walk off 8-5 win baby!!!!

:yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

• Like Like x 2
  25. WorsterMan

Degrom was on and nasty tonight!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

12 games in this Texas team shows signs of being a .500 or better team. I don't see the realistic possibility of challenging for the division absent a complete collapse by Houston or really even being in the wild card hunt come September but a season over .500 would be huge progress so lets see. Of course every time I start to think hey they could be ok, the rangers drive off a cliff so who knows.

27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers take two of three in Houston and sit at 9-6 through 15 games. :texasflag:

• Like Like x 2
  28. HornHuskerDad

FWHORN, IMO the Rangers can compete for a wildcard slot if they stay reasonably healthy throughout the season. The starting pitching appears to be poised for a giant step forward (again, depending on injuries). And there are resources available in the minors to plug in for short-term replacements during IL stints. I'm cautiously optimistic this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Astros fan here but I've always liked Rangers as well..........I get the feeling that 'Stros run is about over with

30. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

From your lips to the baseball gods’ ears! I have too much PTSD from the last six seasons of terrible baseball to think about a playoff spot but if they are over .500 then the chance of at least playing meaningful games in September is high and yes if they stay healthy who knows……,