2024 GOP Primary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The reason why that is because anybody who tries to push election fraud in court will more than likely get sanctions put on them along with their lawyers. It's already happened to Lake and her lawyers once already. Lawyers are scared to take cases now.

To me I don't understand how anybody right of center can still think elections are on the up and up. We've seen stuff in the last two election cycles things that never have happened before.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Nearly 40 states have sore loser laws, meaning if a candidate is registered for a primary, then the candidate cannot register for the general election. Your scenario is impossible since a candidate has to be registered far in advance of the primary. Surprised you didn’t know this.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    I did not know about a "loser law". So if you register in a state that requires you to choose a political party You can then vote for whomever you choose in Genera right?
    I don't understand what you mean.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, referring to the candidate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks mc
    I see the word candidate now. Apparently it was hidden before. :facepalm:

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The sore loser laws are full of holes. For starters, many do not apply to presidential candidates. In addition, I don't think they preclude someone from running as a write-in candidate. They may complicate things for him in some states, but they aren't strong enough to keep him from denying the presidency to the GOP. Remember that John Anderson did it in 1980. It failed, but it wasn't because of sore loser laws.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They weren't pushing them in '20 either - before anyone was sanctioned. Most of the initial fillings were dismissed on procedural grounds (without any sanctions) that could have been cured.

8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

They thought that getting on procedural wrongdoings was more effective than going the election fraud route because of time restraints in 2020. Trump's team mentioned this. Let's face it. After the J6 event that was a dead end anyway.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, I edited it!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The procedural grounds are what got the cases dismissed, not a strategy for moving them forward.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Maybe I asked the question wrong.
    Mr D Do you think the 2020 election that gave Biden the win was not manipulated or interfered with to a degree we have never seen before?

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It depends on what you mean. The big manipulation was by the media. They bullshat people at an unprecedented level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

You did see what happened in the Pennsylvania mail ballot case? It got to the SCOTUS and they said it was moot. Thomas was hot.

It was the right strategy but SCOTUS didn't care.

Election fraud investigations take too long. There are some from 2020 still going on.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I was going to post the obligatory Homer "Boring" clip, but sorry to hear about your mother in law. Hope all is well.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Thanks. It was a scare, but it looks like she's ok. The wife is flying home from Austin tonight, and I'm picking her up at LHR in the morning. (By the way, LHR is a beating, and the fees are an ***-rape. We bought the ticket with frequent flier miles, and I still had pay £300 (almost $400) in airport fees.)

• Like Like x 2
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Good deal.

Yeah, I'm glad we don't go there...yet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Good news on your MIL. Will be a much better flight back for your wife

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Do you know why they thought it was moot?

Do they really take too long, or do we (myself included) all say they take too long because we don't want to think about what the appropriate remedy would look like if a case succeeded?

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The decision wasn't moot because the breaking of the law not only affected this election but it also affected future elections. A very cowardly decision.

Lake has overwhelming evidence of fraud and she too will probably get screwed by the courts.

The courts do not want to deal with a constitutional crisis.

This will be my last statement on this matter. We're not going to argue about this for days. :p

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Garm
    Who ya going to believe? Biden supporters or your lyin eyes?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you don't want to talk further about it, that's fine. However, I was referring to why they believed it was moot. My understanding is that there weren't enough ballots at issue to affect the outcome.

I would agree that they made the wrong call, not because it wasn't moot but because there's an exception to the mootness doctrine. If something is capable of repetition while evading review, the Court is supposed to decide on the merits. This case seems to fit that exception. However, it looks like the same or similar issue is going to come up in the independent state legislature theory case that will be reviewed.

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well I’d vote for her over Graham and a few others, just sayin she may not be my candidate of choice but there are definitely things about her I like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I agree with Run Pincher. Haley probably can't win the nomination to head the GOP ticket, but she would make a nice addition to DeSantis. IMO that ticket would be a winner - I don't see any competitive ticket the Dems can field that would beat DeSantis/Haley. And that ticket would probably bring some long coattails for candidates down the ballot. And that's very important - with the Dems defending far more Senate seats, the chances of taking the Senate are excellent.

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Scott/Haley would draw a bigger group.

27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Viper
    Maybe but I like the idea of a Governor running, especially from a large complicated state. Scott might make a good VP to DeSantis. I think I would like him over Haley.

28. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Good point, 6721. I would be pretty happy with either Scott or Haley - I think a ticket with DeSantis and either Haley or Scott would be a winner.

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I generally like Haley, and I think most Republicans do. However, she's a victim of being nobody's first choice, whether you're of the Trump wing, the traditional conservative wing, or the moderate/corporate wing. Trump is there. Desantis will be there. Probably some moderate will be there. That'll leave her as everyone's second, third, or fourth choice, which means she has no chance. However, it could also mean that she could be a decent consensus running mate no matter who wins the nomination.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I generally agree 6721, but I am not sure DeSantis will have a sufficient following across the country (a lot of people in the West do not trust anyone from FLA). Pompeo is the most qualified to be President of all of the Republicans (HHD don't hold that USMA degree against him), but he lacks name and accomplishment recognition. Scott's and Haley's demographics are everywhere.

Whoever it is, has to capture the independent and college-educated women's vote.