2024 GOP Primary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

:idk:It is almost like Pelosi already knows the outcome of a trial.

2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

:e-face-tears::e-face-tears:

That's never going to happen. Republicans have been playing to lose or pursuing the Left's agenda since at least the New Deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We just handed Wisconsin to the Democrats in '24. Their Supreme Court is probably going to strike down voter ID, encourage ballot harvesting, and might screw with redistricting.

While we were coming up with t-shirts with Trump's mug shot on them, the Democrats were taking a majority on a Supreme Court that will deliver 10 free electoral votes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'm sure Trump is to blame for this election loss, right?

7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

It’s time for republicans to start playing the election fraud game just like democrats.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The RINOs in our party still can't figure out what the dems are doing. It's a conspiracy theory, dontcha know?

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, but those who failed to show up are.

10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

RINO leadership is killing us along with other issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So what RINO are we talking about, and what should he or she have done?

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Ronna and Mitch. What have they done to promote mail in ballots? Out of curiosity how much longer are you going to keep blaming Trump for everything that goes bad in this party despite the republican judge last night being outspent 7 to 1? That's on our leadership.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's a state supreme court race. State parties are primarily responsible for them. Nevertheless, there's something we need to be ready for - big business interests are no longer going to bankroll the GOP. That isn't Trump's fault or McConnell's. It's business going woke.

14. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

What does Trump have to do with the Wisconsin election? I saw Pedro's tweet on Twitter but not sure what the point is. He has been on an anti-Trump jihad lately. He is correct on most things he says, but not sure the connection here.

15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

They always come up with something. I argued with a conservative that blamed Trump for the 2022 House races.

I tell them to look at the performances of Trump's so called bad Senate candidates vs. Mitch's candidates. Is that Trump's fault too?

16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yes, but with a big one like this you've got to have big spending from the national party. This tweet shares my view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

He even denounced Trump.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It isn't Trump's fault, and I don't think he's saying that it is. However, the Trump arrest (and everything that implies) was a massive distraction that likely took voters' attention away from the race. The Democrats clearly took the race a lot more seriously.

19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Obviously Democrats won. But I don't get how the Trump arrest convinced R voters in Wisconsin not to vote. Anyway, doesn't matter I guess.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They weren't convinced not to vote. On special elections, people need to be deliberate about showing up, or turnout is going to be crap. If something is distracting them, many will miss it.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So the Demx planned this farce to get Trump nominated
    Then will string out court appearances to distract GOP supporters ?
    I think they will just cheat even harder than in 2020 no matter who the nominees are. Why not? They got away with it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

What's worse? Telling MAGA voters that he doesn't want their vote or the running an ad that's mostly geared to get libs to go out and vote.

Just Mindy has to get her facts straight. Kelly lost in an upset in the April 2020 Wisconsin Supreme court race as an appointed incumbent which had nothing to do with Trump or Stop the Steal because he had not joined it until after he was out of office. Kelly can't win elections.

Knodl actually signed a letter with 14 other Wisconsin lawmakers to Pence asking to stop the certification in Wisconsin in 2020. He might not have been part of Stop the Steal but he participated in their activities. I wonder how he didn't pay the price for that.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's usually not very reliable to compare a state legislative district election to a statewide election for obvious reasons.

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Trump's trial has already happened. He will be found guilty on all 34 counts and will have to appeal all the way up to the Supreme Court before finding an impartial judicial review. This is how New York works.

He cannot run with a felony conviction on his record.

27. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

I believe what gets people out to vote is at least one major issue, either on the ballot or what a candidate believes.
    I've always voted since I was of age, but there have been certain elections (HRC, for example) that I have made damn sure I voted, early, even being in Texas.
    I think what we are seeing now, and will continue to see is the "HRC effect", but instead of the candidate, it's the issue of abortion.

Pro-Choice candidates will have the wind at their backs in every election in the future, whether Pro life people like it or not.

Wisconsin Democrats and moderates took back control of their Supreme Court by roughly a 220 K margin in a state trump carried in 2016 by something like 25 k votes.
    The educated soccer mom types that were lost in the last Presidential election vote for the Pro-choice candidates. Gen X votes for the Pro-choice candidate.
    Men and women from Gen Z vote for Pro-choice.
    Younger voters a few years out of college want a Pro-choice candidate.
    The woke crowd wants Pro-choice.
    I feel certain that this one issue is what kept the Red Wave from happening in many of the mid-terms.
    It's a huge deal. A deal breaker to the majority of women except for the Christian right and older generations of men and women.
    I have many female friends, some that are Pro-life, but, feel that the option should be available in some form, with restrictions on how far along the pregnancy is.
    This is a hill many are willing to die on.

Trump's arrest played a lesser role than the abortion issue. Republicans need to figure out some type of message to counter this, or it will be a long time before we win many elections.
    Underestimate this issue at our peril.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  28. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

On one of the news programs this week, they said there is nothing preventing him from running whether he is found guilty or not. I’m sure someone on HF can correct me if I’m wrong.

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Generally speaking, a defendant who appeals a finding of guilt is not deemed to have a final conviction until appellate options are exhausted.

This us why Ken Lay had no final conviction in the Enron debacle...he died (allegedly) before the appeals ran their course.

• Like Like x 1
  30. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I think you are right on the abortion issue. I don't think we should appease the left but i do think the GOP needs to be content with our gains for the moment and quit continuously helping the dem's bring this issue to the table by pushing for further restrictions.

Saw an interesting piece on the roll that mail-in voting played in this race as well. I'm not a fan of mail-in but there is no denying that making it easier to vote likely means you get more votes. That helped the Dem's in that race.

1. Hardline stance on abortion swings 3-5% of votes from GOP to Dem. If those people are "likely" voters that not only means GOP loses 3%, but at the same time the Dem's gain 3%. Could be as much as a 6% swing
    2. Not promoting mail-in loses 3-5% of your lazy votes
    3. I think Trump is a wash in this one. probably helped with some and hurt with others.
    4. Kelly doesn't seem to be a great campaigner. he got there the first time by appt and has lost the two since then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1