4 years sober...

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BHud, Dec 7, 2010.

1. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

I don't post on this section too often, other than, this yearly post. But, I always look forward to it because, this board was where I outed myself as an addict/alcoholic, for some strange reason. In any case, it's true: 4 years. 48 months.

I have watched my life transform from running my business into a cocaine/meth/alcohol grinding stop, to getting everything back. It was a slow process, but...it was well worth the wait. I went back to work, at one point for just above minimum wage, but have now been working for myself again, for almost two years! My wife and I run Sober By Grace Ministries, Christ-based transitional living homes for the addicted and the alcoholic, for the men, and for the women, we work with addicts, alcoholics, and victims of commercial sexual trafficking. And when we ren't doing that, we have a late night homeless feeding project, in downtown Ft Worth on East Lancaster. AND, we do a little AdvoCare. (Colt and Shipley are BOTH endorsers....it's gotta be good stuff, right? [​IMG] )

MY point is, no matter how screwed up your life may seem, how painful it is to watch your loved one put themselves thru this horrible mess....there is hope. I see still suffering alcoholics and addicts every day, and it keeps me sober. Me and God hang out, and I have a personal, not a religious, relationship with Him, and it's so freaking cool. I have to pinch myself some days. In the years since I got sober, we have adopted a son (Daniel Colton) and started a business, and are in the process of possibly branching out to Travis County.

It isn't always easy, but my worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk. God bless all ya'll, and thanks for the support I got from many of you when I showed up here. The impact you had on my lfie, you will never quite comprehend. That strangers might care about the plight of some idiot drunk/addict...wow. Still makes the eyes well up a bit. If any of you are still suffering, or need advice, I would be glad to share my experience, strength, and hope.

Regards,
    BHud
    Sober By Grace MinistriesThe LinkThe LinkThe Link
    bryce@soberbygrace.org

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Outstanding news. Congrats on your accomplishment and thanks for sharing. There may be others who can benefit from your story. Life is good!

3. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Keep passing the open windows, bud. I am very happy for you. It definitely deserves one of these:

[​IMG]

4. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations.

Hope to hear the same good news in one year.

5. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Congrats BHud! I remember your post from 4 years ago. So much has changed, even here, in those 4 years. May God continue to bless you with patience, perseverance, and wisdom. Sounds like you are doing great things. Keep it up.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I love this post every year and know I will love the one next year too.

[​IMG]

7. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and thanks for helping out others who need it.

8. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

If you didn't go back to drinking after this football season you never will. Congratulations.

9. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

10. i remember that first post too. what a crzy trip, huh, from where you were to where you are? you're an inspiration to all those that come to you but to so many more who can see in their own lives insurmountable odds.
    god bless you and your family and thank you for your service.

11. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

God Bless. [​IMG]

12. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Congrats! You stay grateful and we will stay proud of you.

Just remember is it not about getting more time.....it is just about not getting any less.

13. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Congratulations!

14. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

Thank you, each and every one of you, for your incredibly kind words. [​IMG]