66 or 68............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Mar 15, 2021.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

cant tell but it had to be one of those 2 years since we played the Ags at home those 2 seasons..............im thinking 66 I dont think they still had those 3 tier facemasks in 68, could be wrong but loved me some Chris Gilbert.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Boo ou

Boo ou < 25 Posts

I know they had them in 1968 for sure.
    I know slick street had that facemask in 67 and 68.

• Like Like x 1
  3. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

1968; numbers on helmets were above the longhorn 'till 1967

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

That is @ Austin 1968 photo of Chris Gilbert.

TB Chris Gilbert from Spring Branch TX and Super Bill Bradley from Palestine wore the gray Riddle face masks in 66'- 1967. Mostly white face masks in 1968 on the team. Numbers were dropped from helmets after 1966 season IIRC.

1968 Horns unleashed the Wishbone and rolled to 8-1-1 ... steamrolling aggy 35 -14 in Austin in that photo.

1968 Street took over QB vs. Tech game 2 from Bradley. Bradley moved to WR then DB and had 4 INT. vs aggy in that 1968 game. An INT record that still stands today and likely will never be broken. Bradley went on to NFL to become All Pro several years with Philly. He was the punter for UT and the Iggles.

In 1968 the Horns won the SWC and went on to the Cotton Bowl. They destroyed a good Tennessee team 36-14... and it was not that close. Wishbone rolled. Street had 2 long TD passes to Cotton Spreyrer in that game!

After the CB game IIRC, one or more Tenn. players remarked something like "we were boys vs. men in that game" vs. Texas.

The 1968, 1969 and 1970 UT teams were like yesterday's teams to me....

Anyway, sorry for my long answer...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster, those years are seared into anyone's mind who lived them. Don't forget Spreyer's catch against UCLA and then Texas ripping out piggy's heart in Fayettenam on that rainy, foggy December day in 1969.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

was there for "UT Inspeyered " over UCLA; the wooden bench we were sitting on broke from cheering and stomping fans.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WorsterMan

I've heard from some of you fans that were at Memorial Stadium that day in 1970 vs. UCLA - that after Spreyers catch and run for the winning TD, the crowd was a loud as during the 1990 U. Houston game... or a similar comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WorsterMan

1968 Texas vs. aggy - James Street in action in that game photo made the cover of the 1969 Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine that came out the summer 1969.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. WorsterMan

another photo I found of 1968 vs. aggy. Chris Gilbert #25 throwing block lower portion, Ted Koy #24 throwing block upper portion for Street as the attempts a pass.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I had that mag at one time!

11. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

short video with Phillips to Speyrer at the end.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. WorsterMan

My Dad bought his first DCTF in 1963 or 1964, so I have every issue going back that far...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Wow, that's quite the collection!

14. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

UCLA contained the Wishbone for most of the day, especially QB Eddie Phillips. They harassed him on the option, and sacked him on passing downs enough so he ended the day with 17 yards on 20 carries. The one part of the triple option that still worked was the fullback option.

[​IMG]
    Despite UCLA's new defensive front, Steve Worster rushed for 106 yards on 19 carries.

Neither team managed much offense early in the 4th quarter, but Texas finally started a long march towards the south goal. But on 4th and 4 right in front of where I was seated, Jim Bertlesen slipped trying to get to the outside and UCLA took over on downs with a little over 2 minutes to go.

The air went out of the stadium, and there was only 52 second left when Texas got the ball back, with no timeouts. There was a break in the action after the UCLA punt, and the PA announcer, sensing that the game was slipping away, made an announcement about the Longhorns 22-game winning streak. He in essence was asking for applause for what the team had accomplished.

Then a wondrous thing happened. The entire student section on the east side stood on the new aluminum benches and began to stomp and cheer.

It quickly spread throughout the stadium -- even to the west side. Over 65,00 people were standing and stomping making more noise than I had ever hear in Memorial Stadium. A friend who was in the press box working for the Daily Texas said that suddenly the wooden structure began to wobble as if there was an earthquake. The noise continued as Texas broke the huddle.

After making one first down, Eddie Phillips was chased out of the pocket, and as he was going down for a 9-yard loss he fumbled the ball out of bounds. Good thing, since it stopped the clock.

Facing 3rd and 19, Royal called "86 pass, Ted crossing, Sam post."

Jim Bertlesen broke the 'bone and ran a short hook to help clear the middle. Tight End Tommy Woodard (Ted) ran a deep middle route, while Cotton Speyrer (Sam) ran the post. The ball barely went over Woodard's head (he was double covered) and as it reached Speyrer the UCLA defender in the prevent tried for the interception while another UCLA defender nearbye was caught leaning the wrong way.

[​IMG]
    With just 12 seconds to go in the game I suddenly had the best seat in the house.

The noise factor doubled and those still in the press box began to fear for their lives as that structure began to shake like a bowl of jello.

The win gave Texas the new SWC record for most victories in a row at 23. But the post-game atmosphere was strikingly reminiscent of that in Lubbock last week. Royal was bombarded with questions about the offensive troubles until he finally said,

"There are some people around here who think all we have to do is put on an orange uniform, crawl out there in the Wishbone and say, 'Bang, you're dead'."

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. WorsterMan

Yeah, and my insensitive wife mentioned years ago something like those take up a lot space and I never see you reading them. I told her to mind her own business! :angry:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

some of those are worth several hundred dollars Worster.............you hang onto em.............give anything to still have mine.

17. WorsterMan

Wow, I had no idea, thanks.

I bet the first issue from 1960? is worth $$$ but I know I don't have that one... Think that one had RB Jack Collins on the cover with no face mask. IIRC

• Like Like x 1
  18. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I started the fall of 1968 when I was 12...........the one after the Ags/Stallings had beaten the Bear in the Cotton Bowl and the Wishbone was born................
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

i, too have a huge collection of TEXAS FOOTBALL magazines, always enjoyed the articles written by Mickey Herskowitz.

• Like Like x 2
  21. WorsterMan

Wow, look at that 1960 cover price 50 cents!!!

I think I paid something like $12.95 for 2020 issue. Of course it has a TON of ads so they are making plenty of $$$ every issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. WorsterMan

Wasn't Mickey the premier sports writers for one of the 2 Houston papers?

23. WorsterMan

This Horn was also on the cover around those times we have been discussing....

upload_2021-3-16_13-59-31.png

• Like Like x 1
  24. WorsterMan

1969 National Champions:

upload_2021-3-16_14-3-17.png

• Like Like x 1
  25. WorsterMan

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe I have every DCTF from 1960 until about 5-6 years ago. Also have every home and OU program, as well as some away games from 70s on. They are in storage unit. Maybe I should get them out and sell them.

• Winner Winner x 3
  27. WorsterMan

Here is 1963. Pretty sure I have this one and I think it is the oldest one I remember my Dad buying. DKR with All American tackle, the late #70 Scott Appleton. I remember watching the 1/1/64 Cotton Bowl - Texas vs. Navy with my Dad.... 28-6.

upload_2021-3-17_14-53-23.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  28. WorsterMan

Last spring / summer when there was no spring game and we were all in lock-down, I thought to myself - some Saturday - I'm gonna drag out my box of DCTF and take a trip down memory lane. I've done it before but it's probably been 7-8 years since I last did it. I almost always go first to the issues where the Horns had a good / great year. It is always a nice escape and it completely takes my mind off other stuff for a couple of hours.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mine are in a big trunk that requires a dolly to move. I can get it on the dolly but not up in my truck. I may be going down to I-10 & Shepherd one morning to negotiate with "the labor force", but I need to wait until I have several things to move.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

The kids of today will never know this feeling of reminiscing as everything goes online. There's nothing like flipping through old publications you've saved thinking about your experiences. Can't do that on a phone.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1