Activating additonal cable outlets

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RollingwoodHorn, Aug 26, 2006.

1. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

My house is pre-wired for cable. There's a box in the master closet with like 20 coaxial cable running into the wall. Time Warner wants to charge me like $20 per outlet I want activated after the intial two they activated. I tried bribing the install guy to just go ahead and activate the rest of the drops but he wasn't interested.

So now that the cable is hooked up to the house, is there anyway I can activate additional outlets from inside that box and save my money or am I at Time Warner's mercy?

2. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

You need to find out what line feeds into that splitter. If it's got that many drops coming out of it, my guess is that it has whatever amplification it needs built in.

Find out what line feeds into it, connect one of the live drops to that, and everything else should light up like Christmas.

3. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

$20 per outlet?

I know when I hooked up most recently (6 years ago), it was free for 3 outlets, then there was a one-time charge after that to buy the amplifier you need to handle more.

4. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

Yeah, they want $19.95 to come out, then $18.95 per outlet plus $12.95 for amp install and $42.95 for the amp.

I think I'm going to need an amp because I added just a 2-way splitter and one of TV's hooked into it looks ok, the other looks horrible.

5. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Tell them you're switching to DirecTv unless they reduce the price.

6. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts