Add Arkansas to coaching carousel

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SabreHorn, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Sabre, you continue to amaze me with how much history and knowledge you have. Thanks for sharing each time. I enjoy the behind the curtain look you provide. Hook em!

• Like Like x 5
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree, I too think Gus is the guy... if he wants the gig.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree. Like Farmers Insurance, Sabre knows a thing or two, cause he's seen a thing or two!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I see Charlie's name on the list. Wouldn't that be the irony of all ironies? Charlie could go all borderline erotic while kneeling on Bulimia's former desk. I could get more graphic, but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

List is a Vegas bet line.

Leach at top of list.

SB Nation:
    That’s according to a person with direct knowledge, who requested not to be named, in order to speak freely.

Malzahn’s roots are deep. He’s a Natural State native, played for a smaller Arkansas college and walked on for the Hogs, met his wife in the state, made his name as a high school coaching legend in the state, spent a year as Arkansas’ OC (the less said about Houston Nutt’s willingness to actually run Malzahn’s offense, the better), and went 9-3 in one year as Arkansas State’s head coach.

Wait, the head coach of the No. 6 team might leave, despite a Playoff shot?

Well, Auburn’s No. 6 with a playoff shot right now. Auburn welcomes No. 1 Alabama Thanksgiving weekend. With a loss then, Auburn would no longer be No. 6 nor have a playoff shot.

At that point, Malzahn would have lost four in a row to Nick Saban’s Tide, with Saban making three (and counting?) Playoff trips. The Kick Six, Malzahn’s only win over Saban as a head coach, will have felt like a million years ag

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That would do it. Go home; pay homage to Jerry Jones; have a winning record against the $EC except LSU and Alabama (and be competitive with them); and enjoy retirement after 10-15 seasons.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

A person who has never met John Tyson, much less knows him. I doubt seriously that the person has ever traveled to Washington County, eaten ribs at Herman's, been around any of the Tyson or Hunt families, much less the Murphy brothers or the mattress boys.

Again, I would love to see Leach get the Arkansas job, but this is a Christian school (primarily Baptist with a sprinkling of Assembly of God). Do you really think they would hire a Mormon, even one that loves wine?

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good chance. I think he was born in Texas but grew up in pigland

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

And another one. I could see chip Kelly here instead of Florida he knows the landscape in that conference

11. LonghornCatholic

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is interested in returning home to take that position once it’s open, though his status might depend on this week’s Iron Bowl. He’d also have a hand in picking Arkansas’ new AD.

Memphis coach Mike Norvell will also be a candidate for the Arkansas job, once it’s open. Norvell is from the state and his two years recruiting for Memphis are considered a plus to boosters.

If Malzahn leaves, expect Auburn people to push for Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher. If Fisher were to land at Auburn, he’d hope to retain at least current Tigers defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and associate head coach Rodney Garner.

If Fisher stays at FSU (Texas A&M and Tennessee are also interested), expect him to change at least half of his coaching staff.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ebraska-florida-tennessee-arkansas-auburn-fsu

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

pig suey

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Leach will be the Arkansas head coach.

15. LonghornCatholic

If Leach and Chip end up in the SEC, Saban and others may retire.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Has Johnny Tyson died? He would be great for Arkansas, but a coach that isn't Christian in Fayetteville? Do you think that is possible?

17. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Who would have ever thought that a track coach from Kansas St. would become the AD at the biggest, baddest, richest, most prestigious school in the world?

• Like Like x 2
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Deloss' tenure was a surprise, but after years I learned that he is the consummate politician. It was my understanding that Erwin brought him in to limit DKR's interfering and put a buffer between Fred and DKR, and to keep DKR from making it a position for life.

That said, religion is a huge part of XNA.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

He learned how to do that (consummate politician) no doubt..LOL

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Leach in one of those plastic piggy hats, wielding a pirate sword would be too much

• Like Like x 1
  21. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

I've seen hotter on campus.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Were any of them that close to a whale?

• Like Like x 1