ADs and the play off system

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajesticII, Nov 13, 2019.

1. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

This sytsem has stunk like a skunk since it started. When they didn't put Baylor or TCU in in year one I knew it was corrupt in favor of the big money schools. Then they started favoring Bama and the SEC.....Its garbage, and people should boycott the crap and show the powers that be that the public wants a fair and honest sytsem. Totally obvious when they started changing the criteria to fit the SEC school of choice. One week/year its about conference titles, then strength of schedule, then who had bigger wins or worst losses, etc, etc...Changes all the time to fit for Bama and SEC schools, and eliminate others from contention.
    Can the ADs do anything about this corrupt system, or are they in on the mess ?
    The committee changes the criteria from week to week or year to year . They favor SEC teams like crazy. Its obvious !!!!!!!!!
    Year one BU and TCU don't get in because they said conference championships matter hugely....Well look who got in soon after !!!
    Then they ranted that strength of schedule mattered so much.....Look at Bama and Clemson this year and where they rank right now.
    They ranted about winning big games or losing to lesser teams matters so much...Look at Georgia's loss compared to PSU, OU, Oregon, etc...
    All those things matter only with teams outside the $EC.
    I know that the committte would take Texas if they ever get good enough, but it isn't fair to other schools and it ruins college football at this level.....
    All other levels and sports have a system that is fair and allows anyone a chance to be the champion. Why not D1 FOOTBALL ????
    I'm contacting CDC today and voice my feelings about this system...I am also going to try to contact other shcools' ADs; you should too.
    We need college football at this level fixed...and not FIXED for the $EC like it is now.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I hope somebody warns him in advance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I would like to see two divisions in a playoff. First division 1 - 8, 2nd division 9-16 so that those who aren't Alabama Clemson, Ohio State or Oklahoma can claim a championship and let strength of schedule be a factor. Two champions. Perhaps I am not a purist but so what.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I think the debate should be how you program the computers. The committee or whoever/whatever chooses the data should make it clear how it works so the public knows. For example, would SOS be higher or lower than a conference championship, would margin of victory be important etc.

Once that is settled, plug that baby in and let it choose the teams. Then we don't need no stinkin committee until the next year when you might need to tweak something. After a few years I think we would have a very smooth way to pick the teams.

Now, how many teams? I personally am good with four, but would be ok with more if the computers penalized teams enough for weak SOS that everyone wouldn't schedule Sam Houston and directional Louisiana. I love those good pre conference matchups and traditional rivalries. Except the rivals that bail on their conference.

5. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

8 Teams

5 Power Five Conference Champions
    1 Group of Five or Notre Dame (Highest Ranked)
    2 Wild Cards (Picked by the Committee)

The Committee seeds 1 through 8. Seeds 1, 2, 3 and 4 play their first round game at home.

Best part of this is that it puts value on winning the conference. Also, instead of playing Rice, UTEP and San Jose St. in non-conference play, you can play LSU, Ohio State and Clemson in the SAME YEAR! You can start 0-3 in non-conference, and still win the National Championship! Decent schedules mean BIG $ to AD's. How many UT season tickets are going to be given back next year alone? 25K+? You would have 100K+ season ticket holders every year in this model.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019