Ahhhhh the good ole days..........

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Dec 31, 2019.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Who remembers 2 TV's going on New Years Day to keep with the games? I had a small B/W portable Dad would have me bring it in and set it up on a chair next to the Big one (Color)...............Cotton Bowl was always on Big one (usually was Longhorns) and the B/W would be on the Sugar Bowl which came on at the same time, about noonish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

That was our house, 40+ years ago, except that my dad decreed that the big Magnavox color console TV would be reserved for watching the Rose Bowl (because he got his BA and MA at Illinois and his D.Ed at USC. Big fan of the Big 10 and Pac 10, obviously).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Remember when you had to walk over to the TV and actually touch the thing to change channels? Times were tough back then, kids these days don’t understand the struggle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. LazyHorn

LazyHorn 25+ Posts

And TVs weighed 8000 lbs, had wood paneling and looked like furniture
    Miss the old Curtiss Mathis giant

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

When we got one with that old clicker remote I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Giovanni Jones

Literal struggles, man. I had an older brother and oftentimes we wouldn't agree on what to watch on Friday nights. Our debates over the selection from three (3!) channels tended to become quite physical by the time a resolution was reached.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least in Dallas, we had 4 channels with all 4 off the air by 1am.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

National Anthem = TV IS OVER Y’ALL!

That’s so funny to remember. It’s like, that’s all. Good night.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Giovanni Jones

One of our 3 stations would play HIGH FLIGHT prior to the National Anthem. Love watching the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Remember when you could do everything with just one remote control instead of needing 5 or 6 of them?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

TVs in those days are always bought for the cabinet.

12. BurntOrangeLH

And they had tones instead of infrared.

13. BurntOrangeLH

Ode to the Widowmaker.

14. BurntOrangeLH

When I moved to Austin in the early sixties there was only one channel KTBC. They would play selections from all three TV networks. Some of my old friends actually helped build the transmitters for the newer TV stations.

I think there were only 2 FM stations too and one of them was KHFI which was the classical station back then. The other was KTBC which mirrored the AM station.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I was my dad's remote in the 70s.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I was my Dads everything in the 60's and 1st half of the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Giovanni Jones

Early models of the F-104 had an ejection seat that ejected down, out of the belly of the aircraft (because of the possibility of the pilot hitting the high T-tail of the aircraft if he ejected up). Of course this meant that if you had an emergency at low altitude (such as when taking off or landing) you would have to roll the plane inverted before ejecting.
    [​IMG]
    Later models had an ejection seat that went UP, with enough extra propellant that the pilot would clear the T-tail.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

You too? I thought I was the only one who does the remote shuffle when I sit down to watch something.

And who keeps leaving the stupid remote on the sofa where it falls between the cushions and I have to dig around and find the stupid thing? Come on people I thought we talked about this already. /rant

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. BurntOrangeLH

I think the West German air force lost about half their pilots who flew these things.

21. Giovanni Jones

Years ago I read a biography of Erich Hartmann (the top scoring Luftwaffe ace in WWII, credited with 352 kills). He served in the West German Air Force 1956-1970, and was very much opposed to the acquisition of the F-104 by the Budeswehr; according to the book I read, he feared that it was too dangerous for the West German pilots to handle at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Giovanni Jones

Here's an oldie but goodie: the F-16 was introduced at the Paris Air Show in May 1975 (almost 45 years ago!) and it's still very much in use.

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you for these GJ. The Germans were masters in these compared to the Italians. At one point the leader of a 4 ship flew into a mountain only to be followed by the other 3.

24. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

I grew up in Lockhart and the only way to tune in the different Austin channels was to physically rotate the outside antenna. The antenna was located at the end of the house at the peak of the roof and had to be rotated from up on the roof. My two brothers and I got good at "walking" up the side of the house using the antenna pole, climbing on the roof, rotating the antenna then jumping off the roof.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Was the F104 the one W flew

26. BurntOrangeLH

I think he flew the F-4. I think the F104 would have killed him.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Giovanni Jones

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  28. Giovanni Jones

Ahh, memories of visiting my cousins in rural Iowa back in the 1960s. They too had those rotating antennas, but most people in those areas had a directional controller on top of the TV linked to a servo motor attached to the base of the antenna, so they could remotely tell it to point to Cedar Rapids or Quad Cities or wherever. (Because no one wants to climb out on the roof of a 2 story house + attic to turn an antenna, especially during winter.)

29. BurntOrangeLH

Remotely controlled rotor motors are a godsend.

30. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

Dad had 3 boys. He wasn't going to spend money on a rotor motor....

• Funny Funny x 1