AJ

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by OUsucksATMblows, Feb 22, 2009.

1. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

AJ rules.

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

3. OUsucksATMblows

OUsucksATMblows 250+ Posts

jimmyjazz,

If your definition of a "leader" is whether a guy scores or not, then you have a far different definition than I or many coaches do.

I don't know why I bother with this site anymore because after reading some of the responses on this thread it is obvious to me that the basketball knowledge on this board has fallen way off the cliff

4. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

5. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I don't know about the leadership issue, but I do believe that THIS team would be a lot worse off without his contributions on offense.

6. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

With all the hammering of AJ for his 'lack of leadership', I would just like to point out that he is only one guy that I want to be handling the ball when the other team is fouling us down the stretch.

Not turning the ball over and making clutch free-throws down the stretch is a form of leadership. Give the kid some credit.

7. Goodfellow

Goodfellow 25+ Posts

Sweet 16 ? We would have to get really lucky with our pairings.
    We do not have enough well rounded basketball players to make a good run. We have some great role players, but we don't have the guys who can consistently do all facets of the game at D-1 level.

8. OUsucksATMblows

JimmyJazz,

I think if you asked any "analyst" or so-called college expert around the country who the Longhorns' leader is they would almost all answer AJ without a doubt. I'm not sure what more you want out of your leader.

I think you are confusing great players with leaders. There is a big difference. TJ was not a very good shooter, but he was undoubtedly the best leader we have ever had at UT on the basektball court. Just because a player has some weaknesses in his game doesn't mean that he's not a leader.

Leaders do a lot more than the common fan sees. I'm pretty sure that the majority of members on this board have no idea what AJ does in the offseason or what he contributes to the program and team off the floor. Sometimes that's more important than any shot you can knock down.

9. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

10. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I think it's true that for the most part, leaders have to be very good performers, good at what they do. I think AJ qualifies there. But I've also heard him talk enough during the season that I don't think he's a leader. I don't think it's that he's into himself. He's just not the kind of guy who seeks out that role.

Barnes talked a lot about making DJ Augustin into a team leader, and he accepted and grew into the role. Abrams just doesn't seem to be that kind of guy, for whatever reason.

11. OUsucksATMblows

What would our record be this year without AJ?

What would our record be if we had just 1 more guy that could just knock down an open 3, and a decent point guard?

Would AJ be a "leader" then? If our record was better, would people consider him a "leader".

12. Bravehorn

Bravehorn 25+ Posts

His future in the NBA was as a PG. He doesn't have those skills and being only 5'10" will limit him.
    He doesn't have Nate Robinson or Iverson's game or handle. 3 guys who can really shoot it are rotting on their benches. Can you say JJ Redick, Adam Morrison anf Jason Kapono?
    Lately when he's had a bad game it's been his inability to get open looks no matter how many screens he runs off. Teams have decided to take AJ out of the game and taking their chances on the rest of the team beating them and this has become a successful formula. It wouldn't work if Mason or Balbay could hit an outside shot but they have a reluctance to pull the trigger. [​IMG]

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

14. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

15. Bob in Houston

It was there... Pittman just couldn't finish.

16. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

2 of Pittman's misses came at the end of the 1st half when KU went on that 7-0 run.

Let's be honest, though. One of the reasons the Texas offense was looking so good is that for some stupid reason KU played up on Mason and Balbay, whereas all of UT's other opponents were playing 10' off of them. That opened up the inside to a degree it didn't need to be for the post feeds, or Balbay or Mason just drove right by their defender.

But yeah. Just another game in a long line of them where I kind of go, "It was good having you, AJ, but it's good to see you go."

Down by 4, and Abrams makes a couple of bad turnovers, is bailed out of another by a foul call, and never comes close to hitting any of his myriad shots. He did get to take the last shot for Texas on the game, though.

The 3rd foul on James was a killer, too. Man, James really came to play. He came to play against OSU, too. It's too bad he can't handle the ball as well as I'd like for him to be able to.

17. natethehorn

natethehorn 100+ Posts

Speaking of Damion's third foul....I think Rick gets paranoid when guys pick up two in the first or a third early in the second half.
    Damion sat way too long with the three fouls when it was obvious he was our best offensive threat today. Considering we have struggled all year offensively, I thought he should have been on the floor earlier.

18. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Abrams didn't play well late in the game. But the reason our team keeps losing games like this that are close towards the end is b/c our offense forgets what to do at the end of games. Instead of going inside and passing the ball to find open shooters they just pass the ball to AJ and then stop running and wait for him to shoot. We have a lack of outside shooters and their end of game offense has become give the ball to AJ and see what he can do.

They need to work on just playing the end of the game like they did the other 95% of the game and they might do better.

19. topwater

topwater 100+ Posts

did i just read above someone say that our offense was awesome in the first half because of team ball and a.j. had nothing to do with it? omg, yeah, that guy chasing him back and forth and all over the court doesn't help the inside game at all does it? listen, read, understand what every coach says you must do to stop texas... stop him first. the fact is none of the guys made plays late when we needed it, but to think that because he doesn't score means he's having no impact on our offense is, well, ignorant. thanks for listening, send me the bill. [​IMG]

20. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

every team needs that one player that the defense pays 100% attention to that entire game. yesterday it was AJ as usual, leaving Damion open alot!

If you dont have that guy, your team wont get far.

21. Bob in Houston

22. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

As one of AJ's staunchest (sp?) proponents, I'll admit that it wasn't his finest games, particularly down the stretch. Still, it amazes me how the team just stops playing and waits for him to save us when it's close.

Damian was fantastic in the first half - a non-factor in the second. I agree that Barnes was too conservative. He should have gotten him back in the game after a couple minutes.

Balbay and Justin - exactly what we need in the first half. Did they play in the second half?

Pittman - Always a mixed bag, but I felt like he played well, despite a couple point blank misses. I thought Barnes' post game comments were too hash. He did very well from the free-throw line.

Gary Johnson - good in spurts, but not fully back.

Clint - got to give the kid props. May have been his best game.

Atchley - uhhh.....

All in all. There was enough blame to go around. To be honest, I thought we were going to get our asses whooped. You don't walk into the Phog on senior day and win that game. I was really proud of our guys in the first half. And, I can forgive the second half.

But, with the tide going against us. We turned to our senior, AJ, and hoped that he could pull it off. Hell, nobody else was going to do it. He pulled it off against OU and couldn't duplicate it against KU (in their house). No shame in that.

I'm still proud to call him a Longhorn.

23. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

What does the team look like next year without AJ, where is the scoring going to come from?

24. Bob in Houston

25. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

James is going to go pro? Is he a draft pick?

I don't know, my basketball skill measurement skills have been way off the past few years.