AL West: The Week in Review and Week Ahead

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Hook 'Em Danno, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Ok. I consider this past week to be a crappy one for the Rangers. They struggle to take the Seattle series and drop the weekend series to the crummy Twins (last in AL in team BA and darn near last in team ERA), while the Swingin' A's take 3 of 4 from Detroit and sweep the Rays. The lead is down to one game. Lousy time to be playing average-to-below average ball from an offensive standpoint.

Not a lot of warm fuzzies to be had right now. With a 3-game series with the A's starting tomorrow, a 3-game weekend series with the Halos on deck, and a 3-game set with the Pirates in the hole, this is a critical stretch IMO. I think this week sets the tone for the rest of the season, so I'm calling my shot---the winner of the next series with the A's takes the West (even though there is still 27 games left in the regular season).

C'mon boys. Don't let me down!

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

3. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, that was not a good start. The bats fail again (0-9 w/RISP) and Holland seems to be becoming a bit HR prone again.

With Ranger-killer Colon going tomorrow and Parker going to the hill on Wednesday for the A's, this was one game the Rangers needed to win to have a chance to take the series. Unless the bats come alive 1-24 w/RISP last 4 games), this series could very well be an Oakland sweep.

4. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

the offense has been killin us lately.

we have the 3rd best era in the AL. best in AL West

we've scored 2 runs in each of the last 4 games.

our pitching staff hasn't allowed more than 5 runs in a game since JULY 30TH! and we won that game 14-11.

the next 6 series will all be very tough. if our bats don't wake up i have a bad feeling we won't even hang on to the last WC spot....

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I can breathe a little after last night.

6. Hook 'Em Danno

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

The Sept. swoon has started! [​IMG]

8. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, the "critical week" for the Rangers was totally crappy. Dropping 2 of 3 to both the A's and the Angels, with the so-called No. 1 and No. 2 starters getting shelled in the process, does not instill much confidence moving forward as the A's division lead is now at 1.5 games.

This week, the Rangers face the Pirates and the A's for the final time this year. I have no warm fuzzies with respect to this team, but I'll still be cheering them on. Hope for the best (but plan for the worst).

9. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

call me a downer but this is the worst offensive team in the MLB right now. it just has to be. lose a terrible game 1-0 at home. absolutely no excuse to EVER lose at home 1-0. i'm so frustrated with this team right now.... i should start betting the under for every rangers game. cuz the starters pitch above avg to great, and the O can't score more than 2 to save their lives.

i already told my friend i dont think the rangers will score 5 runs more than twice the rest of the season.

10. Hook 'Em Danno

^^^ I think they are toast as far as winning the West is concerned. The offense remains anemic and can't score runs even when their top pitchers toss a good game (which has been extremely sporadic of late). They're gonna have a hard enough time holding on to a wild card spot at this rate. Very frustrating indeed.

11. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^I think they will hold on to the wildcard spot - barely. But it's a cryin' shame to waste a top-notch pitching performance like Yu gave last night. It's extremely difficult to win a game in which you don't score a run.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

well we scored 4 runs, but only had 1 going into the bot 8th. of course chalk up another loss.

after we get swept by pitts, we have the A's, then @ TB for 4, then @KC for 3..... i'm saying 3-7, 4-6 if we're lucky. that might put us maybe a game back for the last WC spot with the last 7 games at home against the Angels and Astros.... should be interesting to see if we can claw into that last WC spot.

13. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, that sucking sound you hear may be coming from Arlington as the Rangers continue to circle the drain. Holland and the rest of the pitching getting shelled as the offense is still MIA. A's lead will be up to 4 1/2 games by night's end. At this rate, this team will be fortunate to make it as a WC team. [​IMG]

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I just want to point out that the Astros are now only 3 1/2 games behind Miami to avoid the worst record. For a while, I thought they might be the worst team ever to play the game.

Go Astros!

15. Hook 'Em Danno

Back-to-back sweeps--at home-- puts the Rangers back 6.5 games with 14 to play. Stick a fork in 'em boys. They're done (WC too IMHO).

16. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

The Rangers are currently in the Losers Bracket. They lost the first round to Oakland over the weekend and moved on to Tampa Bay for the Consolation Round. Let's finish these guys off so we can advance and maybe eventually get back up into the Winners Bracket.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

17. Hook 'Em Danno

[​IMG]. That is all.

18. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

last nights loss in xt innings really really hurt. nathan blows the save with a 2 out walk, then SB, then of course a 2 strike single up the middle... rangers come right back next inning with leadoff double only to waste that. of course TB gets a walkoff single almost immidiately in the next half inning. it's so predictable now it's comical.... real talk.

come on Darvish. i'm sure you'll pitch well... so COME ON OFFENSE. 3 runs is all i ask of you tonight. we may still lose but give darvish SOMETHING to work with...