Alabama - ou Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WorsterMan, Dec 29, 2018.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Bama played stupid after the 1st quarter. OU has one of the worst pass D's in all of college football and Bama quit throwing until they had to. Bama could have scored 60 if they had just kept throwing those slants that were open all night. I'd have thrown every play until OU dropped their safeties back and then ran the ball. Instead Bama was running into 8 man fronts. I mean it's not like they can't run as well, but take what the D gives you first. I guess they were protecting Tua's ankle as much as anything.

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Agree totally - horrible lack of discipline by Bama. Sabin's blood pressure must be off the chart. If they do that against Clemson, they will be woodshedded. IMO, Clemson is the better team and should win next week.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

embarrassing to give up 34 points to a flag football team.

Even more embarrassing to give up three touchdowns to a baseball player

I don’t know if Bama can play with Clemson, Sabin may have lost his touch

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Totally agree. Scouts will watch his feet in this game. Terrible form, not able to stand and deliver.
    He profited from scheme, and schedule this year.
    They had a better roster than any team they played this year.
    The A’s were smiling all night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I think he has to play baseball to honor his contract. If he doesn't, does he have to give the 5M back? I'm not sure he has a choice unless the A's let him.

6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

It’ll be a barn burner in the National championship game. I think Kyler plays baseball next year because he knows it just takes one safety blitz from the blind side and a career in anything is gone.

7. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Not hardly. Man for man Bama dominates and if not for player screwups the score is even worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

KM mentioned once that he would play 2 sports like Bo Jackson. He ain’t no Bo though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

And the score isn't really close anyway. Win by 11 and end up on your opponents 5 yd line. They were never threatened the whole night.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

That only works if you have the leverage to do it. A's would have to allow him to play and he wouldn't be able to until end of Sept. I'm making some assumptions here as I haven't seen his contract. But if I were the A's, for 5M I'd own his time. Until he hits the bigs, he's playing BBall 9 months out of the year in some league. Maybe someone knows the actual commitments in the contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

#bamaproblems

But the real pisser is that Bama gave up 34 when every prediction model said OU would get 27

The issue is that the 27 wouldn’t have been good enough for Bama’s FIRST HALF!!!!! And that’s just annoying, that Bama didn’t play to their standard of keeping opposing teams to an average of .53 of their avg points per game, OU got .69 of their avg.

Bush league horse crap, Bama needs to play better.

.69 means Bama would give up 31 to Clemson, that’s not okay, that’s embarrassing

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

As noted by the broadcast and within this thread early on, after the 1st quarter ended it was 21-0 Bama and OU had 0 total yards and 0 1st downs. The first play of the game was a 50-yard completion by Bama to OU's 25.

Neither team had a turnover IIRC, so wasn't like OU was handing the ball to Bama at the 10 yard line.

Bama got sloppy, took their foot (feet?) off the gas, otherwise a Purdue or UH total whipping might have resulted.

13. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

my opinion, Bama can be beat by a very fast Clemson that frankly has a better coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Or a complete team; unlike OU that kind of forgot about the need to stop the other team.

I agree on Clemson; I think Clemson beats Bama by 2 touchdowns or more.

15. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

Agreed, this game has passed Sabin

A dinosaur in a post asteroid collision, suffocating in a cloud of dark, oxygen-less, defenseless football

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Agreed. The A's used a first-round pick to take him, and I'd bet they're going to keep him in baseball activities every time there's a league he can play in (including winter ball).

17. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

The ncaa needs to step in

Tua should not have played after the first quarter against a group of five type opponent.

If Sabin isn’t going to care for his players safety during exhibition level games, how can we expect him to care during games that have real ramifications???

18. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

I don’t see him playing MLB. He may try, but he won’t make it. Few years working in A, Perhaps some time in Double A. His problem is he’s too small to play in NFL and not good enough to play baseball professionally.

Bars are part of KM 7 year plan.

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I just hope Murray decides not to play football at OU for one more year. He’s a red-shirt junior.

20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The delusion of the ego (from ESPN):

"I think most teams in the league or in the whole damn country would have kind of gave up against a team like that, but as you saw, we just continued to fight -- and pretty damn close to winning the game, so I couldn't ask for much more out of my teammates," Murray said.

21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

That Texas kid, Waddle, is a freshman. He's got some juice

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

F'n idiot. The game was much closer than I thought it would be, but they we're never in a position to win the game....they never got closer than 11 points after Bamas first two TD's. I guess to be a little more gentle, a championship mentality is never thinking you are out of the game. Whatever....if it makes him sleep better at night. He'll be telling his grand children how he almost single handedly beat Alabama.

23. zuckercanyon

So, since Kyler was at A&M for a bit, is it "Kyler never loses he just runs out of time?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Remember OU has a history of not showing up for bowl games. So although we still have a ways to go, it’s not near as far as it appears due to OU’s annual tail tucking and running from the dog fight.

25. zuckercanyon

I'm also wondering how long Lincoln Riley can continue to "ignore" the defensive side of the ball. He learned under the Pirate, so he may just be Tech's offense on steroids. It'll win him a lot of ball games but if his offense ever sputters due to untimely injuries or off the field issues, he could have a down year now and then. God help us if he hires a decent DC and starts recruiting that side of the ball a little more aggressively....

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but can it be assumed that he will continue to have elite quarterbacks at his disposal? If he does it will be a huge problem.

I'm thinking though that Jerry Jones may solve our problem if the Cowboys get boat raced in the first round of the playoffs.

27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Remember, we were up 21 on the dirt burglars before falling asleep in the 4th quarter in Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

You've got to be kidding. This Bama team has rolled almost everyone they played except Georgia. They got too conservative too early and made a few mental mistakes or this is a 21 pt thrashing. Also had a really close pass brought back that probably leads to another score and they did end up on the 5 yd line at the end of the game. Those seam routes were open all night and Bama should have kept throwing the ball. They scored 45, but they could have easily put up 59. Sure they gave up some points but we all knew they would. OU is the type of team that will give Bama trouble. Clemson and Bama are about a push, but it's because Clemson is a great football team. Not because the game has passed Saban by. As long as he's loaded with 5* recruits (and btw that's a big part of being a college coach), Bama will thrive. We're not close to them on either side of the ball in the trenches. We also don't have the backs or LBs they have.

• Winner Winner x 2
  29. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Oh, and we don't have the QB they have. He had more TDs than incompletions. You have to go back to Colt to find that type of accuracy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, I didn't actually see the coin flip/option, and I misinterpreted from the HF and announcers that OU had "decided to go on defense first." That was why I said it was not too smart. After I heard that OU had deferred, I wouldn't have said that. As I have posted in the past, I agree with your position.

• Like Like x 1