Alamo Drafthouse - Never Again !

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by DRAG69, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

So my wife and I were both off yesterday and decided to go see Leatherheads. We would have gone to the new Cinemark in Cedar Park but the first showing there was 2 PM and we wanted to go earlier. Alamo Drafthouse in Lakecreek Plaza had a 12 noon showing so we decided to go there.

I had already had one bad experience there when I went to see No Country For Old Men. These two fat girls behind me received a big order of nachos right as the movie started and then proceeded to crunch them, loudly, for the first hour of the movie. Drove me crazy. I mean there were scenes in that movie where it was absolutely silent out in the desert and I am listening to crunching nachos in my ear.

Well yesterday sealed the deal for me.

Now I am one of those people that do not understand the need to eat something during a two hour movie. I mean most people go more than two hours during the day without having to eat so why do you need to eat while there ? I sometimes buy a drink and my wife and I will share it but I don't always do that either. I swear I see people with a tray full of crap, nachos, popcorn, hot dogs and drinks and I wonder why you want to spend $20 on movie food. Why not just go somewhere and eat afterwards ?

Anyway this rant has nothing to do with food or obnoxious people that cannot eat without making a lot of noise.

We sat down and I filled out the sheet....
    1 - Miller Lite
    1 - Cabernet

The drinks came and everything was fine. There were only about 12 people in the whole place anyway. About halfway through we decided to have one more drink each so we ordered them and finished those off just at the end of the movie. There was nothing wrong with the service. The beer was good and cold and I tasted the cabernet and it was pretty good too.

And then the check came.

$28 ******* dollars for 2 glasses of wine and 2 domestic long necks !!!! I could not believe it. That is more than the Four Seasons. Unbelievable. That wine was $9 a glass and the glasses are not even close to the size of those you receive in most restaurants.

So I spent $12.50 to see the movie and $28 more for drinks making it $40.

Never again.

2. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

3. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

4. uberheadymagical

uberheadymagical 250+ Posts

What did you expect? It's Alamo Drafthouse. That's the deal.

5. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

People eating at Alamo Drafthouse? Really? What is the world coming to?

As for the price, in the future, check the menu which is conveniently provided for you.

6. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

There is no way to read that menu in the dark.

And I never imagined that a glass of house cabernet and a beer would be over $13. That is ridiculous.

7. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

Ummm ok.

First of all my wife and I go to Alamo specifically for two reason:
    1. We're HUNGRY and want to eat AT the theatre. Not before, or after
    2. We want to drink alcohol

If we don't plan to do either of those two things (and we're going to see a regular main stream movie) we'll go elsewhere, so you should probably so the same.

Now having said that you're really complaining about the cost? I mean a small coke costs $3.50 at a normal theatre, and a regular sized box of candy costs about the same. Theaters jack up the price on stuff, and pretty much everywhere $alcohol > $soda so I don't see those prices being way out of the norm. I mean they same about on par with what you'd pay at a decent restaurant. When you go out you pay more for stuff.

So it's fine if you don't want to eat at the movies, go somewhere else. And it's fine if you don't want to pay the high prices to drink at the movie go somewhere else. But to post about it on an internet message board just makes you come off as a bitter old man who hates paying more than a nickel for a loaf of bread.

[​IMG]

8. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Well I am old and the price of that wine sure made me bitter.....

9. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

I personally can't eat and watch a movie. It distracts my attention.
    If I were to miss Chigurh's coin flip because of a tragic chip failure during a nacho break, it takes away from the movie.

10. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

11. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

f**k that. That's why Alamo rocks. I can eat an annoying amount food, drink lots of beer and generally not have to put up with people's devil spawn or obnoxious talkers (because they don't let in the former and kick out the latter). Sorry, but I ONLY go to Alamo Drafthouse to watch movies. Besides, if your hearing is so acute that you can hear the people behind you eating over the loud movie, well, I don't know how to follow that up.

12. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Now I am one of those people that do not understand the need to drink something during a two hour movie. I mean most people go more than two hours during the day without having to drink so why do you need to drink while there ?

13. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

14. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

if you consider the markup on normal candy, drinks, and popcorn at a regular theatre, i would say $9 a glass might come in a little lower.

would you rather pay $4 for a beer, or $3,50 for a diet coke?

also, i would hate to see your opinion on the price of beer at a strip club.

15. HOOKMD

HOOKMD 100+ Posts

"Get off my lawn" should be the title of this post... [​IMG]

16. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

I've been thinking about swearing off the Alamo b/c the last few movies I've been to have been infested by loud talking, obnoxiously laughing, disgusting food ingesting **** heads. The loud talking ******** seem to find those the messages before the movie particularly hilarious, too. I just can't snitch, and the staff doesn't take initiative. They're always a few seats over, too, so I can't tell them to shut the f**k up. ********.

17. TEXASMADE

TEXASMADE 250+ Posts

18. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

19. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

this is the dumbest post of the year

for the love of christ, you go to Alamo Drafthouse and complain about people eating

that's like going to Rainbow Cattle Company and complaining about "the fags"

20. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

Thats why i love the movie tavern here in DFW.

$6 for a movie and $1.50 beers mon-thurs.

Can't beat that my freind

21. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

I have to agree on their prices. $17.50 for a pitcher of beer. I went to Austin's Pizza afterward and the same size pitcher was $7.

This isn't a strip club. Get realistic on drink prices.

22. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

why goto the drafthouse if you're not gonna eat or drink?

23. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Obviously some of you did not read my post very closely.

I don't go to the movie to eat.

I only went there because the feature started at 12 and I wanted to go before a regular theatre near me was showing it. The other reason I went is because I knew it would not be crowded and I would not get some fat assed, nacho eating pig eating with their mouth open right behind me.

I was just shocked that 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine would be $28 before the tip. That is ridiculous no matter where you are.

24. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Did they not provide you with pricing ahead of time?

25. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

26. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

27. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

Punt? Is that you?

Jesus, man. Go back to your crappy theater, where you can hear people actually ANSWERING CELL PHONES during the movie, watch whatever boring Hollywood drivel you're into instead of Alamo's better selection, and get angry at the crying babies there. No need for you to douche up my movie theater while I'm enjoying a bucket of beer, old man.

28. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

they have two cabs on the south lamar location menu:

RAVENSWOOD VINTERS CAB $5.75 $23

HAHN CABERNET SAUVIGNON $6.75 $26

according to this:
    The Link

your bill should've been $20. unless you got the coppolla instead of the cab

29. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

30. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

This thread is hilarious. Alamo rocks. I won't go anywhere else.