AM and Oklahoma to the SEC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by goredho, Aug 29, 2011.

1. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Why isn't this rumor more hot?

- It gives the SEC a top 5 program to be their 14th team.
    - OU should be weighing their options given the perception/reality that the Big 12 is doomed.
    - OU gets into the premiere college football conference.
    - OU can be in the division with A&M and play a game in Texas every year to continue their recruiting here. I am sure Jerry would be happy to host.

I have some sooner buddies and they are all hoping that these conversations are going on behind the scenes.

2. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

3. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

4. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

boren has been vocal about not wanting to be a part of the SEC.

besides, all signs point to their future being tied into that of OSUs. the SEC doesnt want OSU.

5. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

OU is too smart to go to the SEC. They wouldn't have played in 4 MNC games in 11 seasons had they been in the SEC instead of the Big XII.

7. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

Whoa. Someone just used the phrase "OU is too smart". Another sign of the apocalypse.

8. SmartChicOlena

SmartChicOlena 100+ Posts

Perhaps it is more appropriate to say, ...

OU is not stupid enough to go to the SEC. They wouldn't have played in 4 MNC games in 11 seasons had they been in the SEC instead of the Big XII.

9. pike

pike 250+ Posts

Intensive purposes? I'm uphauled.

pike

10. Leland01

Leland01 100+ Posts

OU was smart enough to take the fight against the NCAA all the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court and win the decision that broke the monopoly television contract that was in place at the time. NCAA vs University of Oklahoma Board of Regents being the case and decision that effectively deregulated the broadcasting of college football.

Anyway, rubbish smack and slap-back rebuttals aside, OU via Boren and Stoops have made it abundantly clear that they have no desire to join the SEC. Boren's main point being he's wanting to raise OU academically and has been building that direction his entire administration. He sees joining the SEC as a step backwards. Also he, Castiglione, and Stoops have all said that they want no part of the "recruiting culture" that is such a part of the SEC.

If OU moves, it'll be Pac12 or I think most hopefully on their part BigTen; however, OU also realizes that together with UT they form a power partnership that is beneficial to each other.

[​IMG]

11. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I wonder if the SEC wants to add another top football program. It seems that A&M is about perfect as a mid level team that won't often rise to the level of Alabama, Florida, or LSU.

I'm interested that Arkansas is being mentioned as a possible member of the Big 12. I think trading them for the Aggies would be a pretty good deal.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Because OU isn't being aggy about this whole situation and know they don't have to rock the boat, they just have to keep their program on the track it's been on and not worry about having to try and pull one over on anybody in their off field dealings.

13. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

14. Leland01

Leland01 100+ Posts

It seriously took longer than I expected for that to get picked up on and replied to so originally and with such cutting wit. Thank you sir, you are indeed a credit to your litter.

[​IMG]

15. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Not buying it. I don't see a lot of benefit to OU joining the SEC. They are a big fish in a small pond right now. I honestly can't see them really wanting to be aggy's regional partner in the SEC, and they probably can't go anywhere without OSU anyway.

I think this is the sort of fantasy aggy envisions in moments of passion with their sheep at night...aggy and OU sticking it to big daddy Texas.

16. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

Personally, I think ou has played this exactly right.

They know that whatever happens down the road, they will be fine, no matter what. It is in their best interest to let Texas to all the dirty work of "blowing up the conference" (to use aggy's term).

If the super conferences start looking around, ou knows they will be one of the first in line. If the Big 12 stays together, they will only have one major obstacle to a BCS bowl.

Aggy doesn't have either of those luxuries...

17. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

OU sees what happened to Arkansas.
    Aggie won't ever lose it's Texas recruiting base no matter what.

18. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

OU will go with Texas to the new PAC-16. The first superconference.

19. cards52

cards52 100+ Posts

20. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

Ou wants to go to the Pac16 with Texas and have their own channel. Larry Scott is smart enough to make it happen. The only real question is: does the B12 bother inviting BYU as a bandaid until Texas and OU make their move (likely with Okie Lite and Tech in tow).

21. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

We won't go to the SEC. That would be bad move for us, and our admin knows that. not only would our chances at appearing in the NC game be diminished, but we would likely end up in some kind of trouble in the SEC as it seems you can't really survive down there unless you are willing to get dirty. and you know we are. There is no need to go poking our boosters with a stick. It's hard enough to keep them in line as it is.

We stay until we are forced to move. We would not be left out in the cold no matter what scenario happens. We generate too much money and national interest. The teams that worry about this are your Kansas, Tech, Baylor types. We just sit back and wait on this one.

22. cards52

cards52 100+ Posts

23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That link is why Oklahoma is our rival and A&M is not. Texas and Oklahoma are focused on bettering their program. A&M is looking for ways to bring everyone else down to their level.

It's actually been funny watching some of my aggie friends who are social/political conservatives in all other things, but NOW it's all about the haves and the have-nots, about fairness, about not letting someone earn more money than someone else, about... wait for it.... wealth redistribution!

24. Longtex

Longtex 100+ Posts

It might make sense for the SEC. Adding 0U and agy in the West and FSU and NCSU, or some other combo, in the East to head off B1G or PAC from First SuperConference Evar. I'm not so sure it makes good sense for the four joiners, but if life always made sense, it'd be pretty damned boring, yeah?

25. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

26. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

27. cards52

cards52 100+ Posts

28. garth

garth 25+ Posts

You are forgetting that OU is launching their own TV Channel soon. Like hell they want to go to the SEC which doesn't allow that. OU sees the future just like Texas doess. There is no need for a "Big 12 network" when each school can broadcast their own sports on their own channel. With football being the exception where each school can only broadcast one game a year. This allows OU and UT to sell their product to the cable providers and at the same time allows Mizzou to sell their product directly through a web-based subscription plan. All of this is already in progress. Why aggy doesn't get this is beyond me.

29. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Prodigal Horn, that sums it up pretty well. aggies are like those people who bring others down to make themselves look better. Nobody likes or respects those kinds of people. They have always been that way which is why I've never had any respect for them. Maybe collie station can secede from the state of Texas, that would be an improvement on so many levels.

30. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts