AM Fumble 4thQ

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MarylandHorn, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

2. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

Probably an illegal block on the return, but I didn't see the play.

3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

It wasn't actually a screen pass; about an 8 yd out........I think.
    Anyway, the TD was disallowed because the personal foul occurred during the int/fumble return.
    He had clear possession but had not yet made it to the end zone.
    So, they were penalized from the spot of the foul.

4. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

Good point, an illegal block would come back to the point of the foul, but the play by play on the ESPN site I copied from says personal foul, which I didn't think was a spot foul.

5. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

Watched it online and the stream was average but from what I could tell, or rather what the commentators said was that the lsu player put a hit on the anm reciever, you can see the poor aggy rocked back and going down. While going down the lsu player strips the ball from poor aggy and takes off. The lsu db trailing him was penalized I think for hitting the then down poor aggy (although I couldn't see that in the replay online).

The poor aggy reminded me of the hit Kindle put on stephen mcgee and then did the shimmy to mimic mcgee's stagger. [​IMG]

6. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

If it wasn't a screen play but rather an 8 yd. out pass, how'd they end up losing 10 yards on the reception? Maybe the spot foul was after the LSU player had run 18 yards downfield. I never realized a personal foul during the play was a spot foul, but I learn something every day. It still seems like it was a mercy rule to me.

Sort of like Texas not "getting" to play in a bowl game this year was a mercy rule...

7. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

8. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Agree with the above. I'll add that, as I remember, the specific call was unnecessary roughness.

My first guess about the "ten yard loss" is that that was where the spot of the penalty was. The receiver gave up the ball downfield beyond the line of scrimmage if I recall correctly.

There is no doubt that the wording in the quote is almost useless to anyone who didn't see the play and confusing to those who did.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts