Another RAM question....

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by horn1, Jun 17, 2004.

1. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

Right now I have 512MB of Ram....that's 256MB x 2 modules

The most I can supposedly upgrade to is 1 GB.

So does that mean I have to buy two 512 MB modules....one in each slot in order to get 1 GB?

If so...that sucks.

2. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

yes or you could just get a 1gig stick but that would be more expensive than two 512's. why dont you just get one more 512 so you have 768? pretty cheap upgrade.

3. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

in other words just get one 512MB module and keep one of my 256 modules?

Next question....how much performance increase can I expect from 512MB to 768MB??......what about to 1GB?

Will I even be able to tell the difference?

4. TexasOwnzYou

TexasOwnzYou 500+ Posts

are u sure you only have 2 slots?

my pc has 3 slots.

5. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

Check your task manager memory resources. If your apps are going over your physical memory space and eating up a lot of virtual memory then you'll probably notice a marked improvement. If not, then you won't see much, if any improvement.

6. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

What do you do with your computer. You might be better off spending money elsewhere for instance if you play games then a better video card would possibly be a better choice. What type of computer do you have?

7. MaduroBU

MaduroBU Guest

If it's RAMBUS it must be added in pairs. That said, 512 is a lot. Go to Download.com and get FreeRAM XP. You can configure it to constanty display your avaiable memory as a System Tray icon. I have 512 of RAMBUS and I almost never go below 300. If you don't need more, it will tell you so.

8. TexasOwnzYou

TexasOwnzYou 500+ Posts

didnt think anyone used rambus anymore [​IMG]

9. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

i'm thinkin of upgrading my RAM (DDR PC2700) and looking for the best deal. i know there is a website online that has great prices but can't remember the name...help please

10. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Newegg.com is probably it.

If not, you'll probably find it through Pricewatch.

11. longhornjoe03

longhornjoe03 100+ Posts

Newegg.com has great prices for memory. I actually picked up 2 sticks of Corsair 512MB PC3200 this morning for $79 each! [​IMG]

Another place to look if you know exactly what you want is www.pricewatch.com

12. TexasOwnzYou

TexasOwnzYou 500+ Posts

you gotta be real careful on ram from pricewatch.com

most of the stuff there is from generic manufacturer's and the ones from established companies are often oced.

13. TexasOwnzYou

TexasOwnzYou 500+ Posts

Texas1026
    The Link

they have 512 mb pc2700 ram for $65

14. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

thanks for the sites. it was indeed newegg