Another Team Captain Opts Out - TQ Gone

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TexasFight86, Dec 12, 2020.

1. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

From 7 team captains to 2.

I’m old school. I don’t buy the “nothing to play for” so I’ll opt out. You committed and play for the University of Texas, that should be enough, even if the team failed to lead up to expectations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Shows you how there is no leadership any where from CDC to Herman to Team Captains. It's one thing to opt out if you are a top 10 pick, we have guys opting out who will be lucky to sign a FA contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

My only request for the board is to not buy in to the bs term opt out, he quit, rant over, ty

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

This is why we have struggled this year more than anything.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horn hub if you mean what I think in that post I’m thinking more and more the same.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Agree. If they wanted to opt out of this year because of the Covid issue, the time to do it was back in summer when the announcement was made. Not 8 or 9 games into the season. "Opting Out" now when the team won't make the playoffs or big bowl just makes them a quitter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Yep. You either play the whole season, bowl included, or you are a quitter.

And 7 team captains? Lord have mercy I would have thought one on offense and one on defense. So every 12th player is a captain? Do the various captains have merit badges like cub scouts so if they have a disagreement t the one with the most patches can pull rank?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

This is on Herman plain and simple,

I don’t fault the players at all.

there just ain’t **** to play for.
    as un-fun as it has been for us to watch, you know it’s worse for the players.

winning cures everything band TH has not set us up for enough of that

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Duck Dodgers

But when’s the line the for players quitting for the season? As soon as the team is mathematically eliminated from the conference game? When it becomes difficult? After the annual loss to OU? Maybe at halftime if the team is behind?

If the players can quit during the season then can the fans quit too, and get a ticket refund plus donation refund on the unused tickets?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Say you're running a business and you have 70 employees. 10 of them are very unhappy. They're largely unfocused. And when they do show up, they constantly talk about outside issues, try to drag their coworkers into their own drama, and generally cause division inside the office.

When these 10 employees decide to move on for the chance to work at a higher paying job, do you think your business suffers or improves?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

The ‘quitting’ after the Iowa St loss imo is unimaginable. It just is. For an insignificant Bowl is tolerable but not what I’d like to see. For those projected 1st or 2nd rounders I can see forgoing a Sr year but they are very very rare. Just mho.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

These are the guys the players elected to be their captains. 'Nuff said!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. rick mueller

Given the likelihood that some if not all of these players will go undrafted, I have to wonder if they running "from" something as much or more than they are running "to" something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Running from: Logic/Responsibility
    Running to: Easy way/Yes people

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rick mueller

Pretty well sums it up!

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Pretty hypocritical given his response after Cosmi quit.

17. Duck Dodgers

They're all quitters. I had no issues with players leaving after a season, but this ever increasing idea that it's OK to quit during the season, more or less whenever you like, is garbage.

18. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I wonder if they used Dominion voting machines?

Sorry Dion.

19. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Opting out is for the idiots and non committed players. Stop their scholarships the minute they walk out on Texas and the committed players. You made a commitment now honor it!!

20. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Portal needs to be gone!!

21. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I agree. the decision makers in College Football have pretty much screwed up College Football. We essentially have rent-a-jocks for the most part now. Most of the guys aren't "Longhorns" anymore, they are just here for the money. We've been moving towards a semi-pro league for a while and the portal and potentially allowing comp to the players have pretty much pushed it over the edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Take a long hard look at who is on the committee making these changes, or the "decision makers" as you referred to them.

DKR and Coach Royal were right.

23. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Make that From 7 team captains to 1.

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

oh Baby, you think so? Wait till players can get paid. The football we love is GONE.

25. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Give me an Ehlinger at each position and you’ll win a NC....

• Winner Winner x 1