Anybody knowledgeable about VoIP?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RollingwoodHorn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

My Tivo is unable to properly download and install the current software update. Quite a few people on the Tivo boards are having the same problem and simply connecting through the phone line solves the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have a phone line. I could sign up for a VoIP for pretty cheap but since it's still connecting over the internet, my concern would be that it wouldn't work in the same manner as the phone line and thus not solve the problem. Anybody know if that would work?

2. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

i no nothing about Tivo.

But, If your description from the other forum is correct, that is, others are connecting the Tivo box to a 'landline' phone - i.e. Same phone line in which you hear an audible dial tone when lifting hte receiver... then,

No, VOIP will not work.

3. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I know nothing about the two either, but my response is the opposite as 14tokihorn's.

If you get a VOIP provider that gives you a dialtone (as I'm pretty sure both Vonage and Time Warner Digital Phone do), your Tivo should be able to dial out via the "landline" (assuming you actually can stretch a phone line to it) and be set.

4. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

Link 1 or Link 2 should help you find an answer. I have read of people using some really funky strings to call in over vonage- but I'm not sure if that's for all tivos (or just directivos).

Have heard it can be done though. Alternatatively, take it to someone w/ a landline and force a download.