Anyone else have cell phone/data problems at game?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by SomeMildLanguage, Sep 2, 2008.

1. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

At the Florida Atlantic game on Saturday, my data network on AT&T seemed to be down. Was anyone else having those sorts of issues?

2. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I am with AT&T and had no issues with my phone.

3. Deguello

Deguello 100+ Posts

I have AT&T and got no data connection at all from the stadium.

Also, guest.texas.edu wireless required no authentication early in the day, but that changed some time early in the afternoon.

4. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

I have Sprint. I couldn't get a text message out.

5. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

My AT&T iPhone was working right up until kickoff, basically. Then it stopped until I was walking to my car.

6. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

i had no problems the entire time. did notice the network was available for a bit. next time i went to use it, just before q4, it was locked down. i think they should have a signal available during the games.

7. ghost

ghost 500+ Posts

Have you not been to a game before? It's not like this problem is brand new.

8. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

I have Sprint and could never make a call or use wireless web while in the stadium.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I've had AT&T the past three years, and 90% of the time in the stadium I cannot send messages or make calls. Usually I can receive them.

It can't just be an overload problem with too many people in the same area trying to use their phones, because I have this problem at DKRTMS even when I'm there 45 minutes before kickoff.

10. StoOgE

StoOgE 100+ Posts

I have tmobile and it worked great the whole time.

Before that I had sprint for my entire time in college and the 2 years after, and could never make a call, send a text, anything.

11. SCSnare

SCSnare 25+ Posts

Have Sprint and couldn't send a text. Not sure about a call, didn't try.

12. Setreal

Setreal < 25 Posts

I have AT&T and had very spotty coverage throughout the game. People could not text or call me throughout the game and my data connection was down 75% of the time. If I kept refreshing a page it would eventually load. I was able to send out a photo, so it's definitely hit or miss.

The past four years I've had sprint and had similar issues there. I assumed there was just too high a concentration of people overloading the networks.

13. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

The interference is caused by the laser beams Godzillatron shoots from his eyes.

14. Valdemsi

Valdemsi 25+ Posts

everyone of my friends and me had problems sending text and getting a data connection...we used my friends iphone and got on the Texas internet to check scores

15. Zone Read

Zone Read 100+ Posts

My iPhone wasn't able to do 3G, was able to connect to the EDGE network a few times. It was slow when it did connect.

16. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Some process on my iPhone spun out of control and burned through my entire battery between 4-6 p.m.

So technically, my issues making and receiving calls had nothing to do with the network.

17. txfight84

txfight84 100+ Posts

yeah my iphone wouldnt connect either...the problem...as someone at a cowboys game last year explained to me, is that the cell phone towers can only handle a limited number of connections at one time. And so it keeps rotating through attempted connections. So when you have 100,000 people in a small area (DKR), there is probably only one tower for all of those people. And that tower cannot handle all of that traffic. As soon as i got to my car my phone went crazy and showed all of the missed calls and text messages...

18. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

I am with at&t and I showed a good signal but could not make or receive calls. I have this same problem at the cotton bowl and at Texas stadium. I have talked to some of the at&t people that are at the games when they have a booth set up and they just laugh like it is funny.

19. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

agree with seb44....my voicemails and text messages to my son (also in the stadium) were delivered 3 hours after I sent them.

20. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

I have sprint and I had no problems. This is strange because I've had problems in the past.

21. MaxHorn

MaxHorn 250+ Posts

Verizon may cost more than other services, but I have NEVER had a problem in my two years with them and I go to every game (home and away).

Many friends were texting for updates and there were no delays in receipt/delivery.

22. MaxHorn

MaxHorn 250+ Posts

Oh wait-- I did have a problem once. I had no service at this year's Big 12 baseball championship game, but I blame that on the suckiness of Oklahoma.

23. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

I have an at&t Blackberry and had no problems at all sending or recieving text messages or brousing the internet. I never try to make phone calls cuz you can't hear anyway.

24. LongLiveBevo

LongLiveBevo 250+ Posts

I have AT&T. My calls were fine and half my texts were ok. The other half were delayed about 5-10 minutes but all went through.

25. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

It can be hard for the phone and cell phone tower to communicate when there are approx. 98,000 cells phones so close to each other.

26. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I have AT&T, and had no problem with texting. I didn't try to make any calls.

27. longhorn_melissa

longhorn_melissa 250+ Posts

i have sprint. last year in section 27 midway up i almost always had service. now i'm in 114 nearly at the top and couldn't even make a call. that doesn't seem right...?

28. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

I have a BB on sprint and it worked fine for the most part. a little bit slow to download other scores, but not too bad

29. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

AT&T and I didn't get any texts until after I'd left the stadium after the game. We somehow managed to coordinate the halftime beer run without it.

30. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

my at&t didnt work, i think the problem is the amount of people in one location trying to log on or send text messages.