Anyone have a BBQ Guru?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by BNB, Oct 21, 2006.

1. BNB

BNB 250+ Posts

I've been thinking about getting one of these for awhile for my bullet. It seems like it would make smoking a couple of briskets almost like throwing it in the oven.
    www.thebbqguru.com/

2. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

The only guru I have is me...

I enjoy watching over the smoker while sit in the chair, I read the paper & have a drink.

Of course, that's not always practical (or possible since I've got a 19 month old who seems to be hell bent on destruction).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

The technology has been around for years in commercial pits. I had a thermostat activated firebox draft system on a huge rotisserie pit we used for catering in the mid-80's. It worked like a dream. That being said, they are not unlike training wheels for a pit and would be, like you said, throwing briskets in the oven. That is not necessarily bad, but some that consider themselves purists would scoff at the idea. I do think they should be banned for competitive events, as they take too much away from the fire tending part of cooking.

To answer your question, no I don't have one, but I have been considering one for an old Big Green Egg I am restoring that is missing the original draft door. The thing that is holding me back is that ceramic cookers hold temperature very well and would not benefit as much from these as many other smokers might including come others I have.