AP number 5! Overrated?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by hookem245, Oct 18, 2021.

1. hookem245

hookem245 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

No, not at all. Beard and the transfer portal brought in an absolute amazing amount of talent. Basketball isn't like football where you need a team to gel for half the season or learn a complex offense. They have to be able to play team basketball, but individual talents have much more impact on this game.

I heard a national guy on the radio say that our second string could probably be ranked in the top 25. We have possibly more depth and as complete a team as anyone else in the entire nation.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I have to think any team with a new coach and so many new players would be over-rated at #5. Maybe they will gel by the end of the season and be very good, but that's certainly very optimistic for the beginning. We don't know what will develop at this point.

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

We’ll find out early how good they are. Horns play preseason #1 Gonzaga early. At their place. If we beat them or take them down to the wire that’s a real good sign.
    I think this season is going to be exciting, to say the least. :hookem2::hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We're basically a "Dream Team" of transfers that are joining a Top-10 team (who shouldn't have lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs) and arguably the best "done-more-with-less" head coach in all of the power conferences. So yeah, #5 sounds about right.

Anything worse than 11-1 heading into conference play would be kind of disastrous, considering who we're playing. I've got the O/U at 24 wins before conference tourney time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Probably need to tap the brakes a bit until 13 November.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Hence my 11-1 comment. It's very likely that we lose to the Zags due to still figuring out how to tie our new shoes.

But the rest of the nonconference slate? Here's their finishing Sagarin rankings:
    Houston Baptist - 345
    Northern CO - 214
    SJSU - 335
    Cal Baptist - 242
    Sam State - 182
    UTRGV - 282
    Seton Hall - 47 (maybe a chance?)
    UAPB - 352
    Stanford - 67
    Rice - 193
    Incarnate Word - 344

I guess there's nowhere to go but up for most of these schools, and the pandemic year should be taken with a grain of salt. But losing to pretty much any of them outside of Seton Hall or Stanford would need to be an "everyone's injured or suspended or lost the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time" excuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think somewhere in the top 10 was expected. So why not exactly in the middle of it? I'm fine with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

10. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Dicky V also said this. Our bench is a top 25 team. Thats crazy.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  11. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Yikes, this non-conference schedule looks like it is from an SEC football team.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I don't know that the players who didn't leave were Top 10 tbf. We lost a lot of talent

That being said we definitely returned a solid core