Applewhite as RB coach - how have the RBs done....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TheFied, Jan 15, 2008.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

At his schools? Does he have RB experience? I only say that b/c Charles started playing better when Rucker came back from cancer. We struggled running until then. But Rucker has a long and rich history at RB coach; very experienced guy. UGa, A&M, UNC,...

Rucker has been a D1 RB coach since 1984. That's 20+ years of college experience. Is anyone else wanting us to bring a guy like that? I like Major but is he experienced as a RB coach? How have the RBs done at his schools he coached at?

And Chambers was moved to TE coach in part b/c we needed improvement (enter Rucker).

2. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

he handed the ball off to a Heisman RB who was from Southern California. Somehow I think this relates to a certain RB recruit from the same area.

but seriously, there has to be some technical coaching for the RB position besides "run faster" or "go where they ain't". I just don't know about this. Maybe we can bring in Ricky Brown or someone.

what exactly does a RB coach do? coach the RB where to anticipate the OL gaps?

3. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

If Major came to Texas, I don't think he would be coaching the RB's.

4. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I doubt Major will be the RB coach. I am guessing QBs and co-OC, with GD taking over RB responsibilities.

I can assure you that GD is qualified to coach RBs, if that's how they plan to split assignments. [​IMG]

5. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

Also, in HS MA handed the ball off to a pretty good RB......Warrick Dunn.

6. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, they will be co-offensive coordinators. Applewhite will coach the vertical offense and Davis will coach the horizontal offense.

7. celis

celis 250+ Posts

Wasn't it Travis Minor?

8. LurkerintheDark

LurkerintheDark 250+ Posts

9. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

10. Wheres Scotty

Wheres Scotty < 25 Posts

11. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

12. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

13. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

14. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

Coaches need to learn how to coach positions other than their specialties. I believe at some point Major was coaching Oline, (as a GA?). With Rucker and Chambers on staff, Major can learn to coach RBs. And he would definitely have input on game plan, even if he doesn't get a Co-OC title. I don't know how recruits would respond to Major as a RB coach, though, as untested as he is there.

We shall soon find out he plan from MB.

15. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

16. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Not really. I don't think Chambers was the problem before. My guess is that he had a personality conflict with Ced.

Besides, at major programs, RBs are coached the way the OC wants them coached. [​IMG]

17. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Rucker would still hold onto some of the coaching duties for RB's? These titles might just be the only way to make room for everyone, but that the coaches will be given responsibilities best suited to their talents.

18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it's out of the realm of possibility. The position Rucker took is one that allows him to contact and counsel the players year-round. Coaches cannot do that, and I'm certain the NCAA would not approve of him having the position he has now if he has even limited coaching responsibilities. Bottom line is that players are hands-off to coaches during the off-season.

19. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

Rucker can train Major. He cannot train the backs. He is no longer a coach, and cannot be seen as one, or the NCAA will call it a violation.

20. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

TexPete, Chambers came in from Dallas Carter (their head coach). He had no D1 experience at RB coach. Haywood did; we replaced Chambers b/c we needed help certainly not to take a step back. Haywood came from LSU where he was their RB coach. Rucker replaced Haywood when he went to ND and he has almost 20 years of experience at RB coach.

21. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

But the RBs will still be coached the way GD wants them to be coached, no matter who the RB coach is. [​IMG]

22. Wheres Scotty

Wheres Scotty < 25 Posts

23. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Haywood and Rucker had a ton more experience at coaching RBs than Chambers. ANd of course also Major.

24. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

25. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I don't personally know Major's experience handling RBs but I will say this, the man coached O-line as a GA and then went on to OC in two years and then OC at Alabama. If he is a good enough coach to make those leaps I will not doubt him with RBs. If nothing else you know we will have a hell of a half-back pass game next year. This man shits pure gold!!

26. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

I played some fullback in college. Its more technical than you might expect. There is a lot of footwork that goes into how to take handoffs and fakes that changes depending on the nature of the play. If you don't get that down, it leads to fumbles, missed exchanges, and collisions in the backfield (not to mention ineffective play action). There is also a lot of coaching that goes into blitz pick ups, audibles, blocking assignments for fullbacks (i.e. who do you chip/block on certain plays against certain defenses, etc ), route running, etc. There are also all of the running/blocking/ball handling drills that go along with every postion.

In short, its not as complicated as QB (nothing is) but it requires as much coaching as any other position.

I also second the comment that good coaches need to learn how to coach every position, not just the one they may have played in college.

The big question for me is why is Major taking an effective demotion from OC at Bama to RB Coach at Texas. That does not make a lot of sense on the surface, so he must really hate Saban and/or has been made some promises about his future at Texas.

27. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

28. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Although it really is a demotion, he will probably get the same pay and I have heard they are considering giving him the title assistant head coach. Either way I think we all know why he is doing this, GD can't be OC forever. I think he retires in a year or two and wants to usher in his protigee as next in line for the throne in a decade.

29. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

30. 1988Horn

1988Horn 25+ Posts