Are DLP tv's the way to go?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by LAktownhorn, Oct 10, 2007.

1. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

They seem like it. i know they aren't flat panels, but i've heard the picture is better on dlp's. anyone know of good brands? i think i'm going to buy it at costco, so is mitsubishi ok?

2. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

After doing some recent research on plasmas and such, I think DLP's are the most cost effective way to go hands down. Only thing is they take up a bit more space and you can't hang them on a wall like a plasma. So if you don't care about either of those then DLP is the way to go. I've heard you get just as good if not better picture on a DLP.

But in all honesty I would just go to a Circuit City or Best Buy and sample all the TV's yourself. It's great to see a huge wall of TV's all with the same thing playing and just pic out what picture you like the best.

3. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

DLP is the best non-flat panel you can get.

4. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

Riddle me this one. Was watching football last sat. on a 56" Samsung DLP- newer model, 1080 set, directv hr20 dvr feed, local network HD channels over sat (not ota).

Noticed that there seemed to be a lot of blocking/ image blur- especially in the backgrounds, during fast motion. Worse on the network stations (versus ESPNHD or TBSHD). Just didn't look nearly as good as my similar directv setup/ 3 year old sony rplcd 50" set.

Kinda chalked it up to configuration problems- but, the dtv box appeared to be hooked up correctly, settings looked right on resolution, etc. Figured that something had to be up- maybe- tv native resolution should have been set different- some kind of conversion problem- I don't know. Things were just off.

I'm not bashing Samsung- I also have a 32" Sammy lcd tv- which is a great set. However, I'm puzzled why the picture was off on the DLP. TV? Settings? Or, do they just look different?

5. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

Dude it uses mirrors!
    I have a 42 inch plasma and love it but DLP is nice too...to each his own IMO

6. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

7. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Love, love, love my DLP. Couldn't have gotten a 52" LCD or plasma for anywhere near the price I paid.

8. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

The only minus is the bulb and they go out every 3 to 4 years and they cost anywhere between $300 to $400. My parent's DLP bulb went out and you can't just buy them at the store. You have to order them. They were without a HDTV for some time.

9. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I don't know about DLP's, but my Sony SXRD kicks all kind of ***.

10. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

As far as picture quality, everyone has their own preferences. The only way to know what you like is to go down to Best Buy/Circuit CIty and compare them side by side. IMHO, the DLP's have a better picture than most LCD/plasmas, but that's just me. When you add in the fact that you can get a much larger screen with a DLP than with a comparably priced LCD, I don't see how you don't go with DLP. Unless you have extremely tight space or just have to hang it on the wall. Not to say that LCDs and plasmas aren't great sets, because some of them are absolutely gorgeous. You just get more bang for the buck with DLP. The main disadvantage with DLP's is having to replace the bulb, but you can buy 4 or 5 bulbs and still not spend the money it would cost to get the same screen size in an LCD. And by the time you go through all those bulbs, it will be time for a new TV anyway.

Yeah, motion blur was a problem people had with early model DLP sets, but that is mostly non-existent in recent models. Any motion blur/artifacting/other picture problems are most likely due to the feed now days.

If you have a Fry's Electronics nearby, be sure to check them out before buying (unless you're in Austin, then talk to hl). I just bought myself a new Mitsubishi from them about a month ago, and it was an absolute steal (I did my research). They also have a great warranty plan, which you absolutely must get if you go DLP. It covers a bulb replacement, so even if the tv doesn't break down, the warranty still pays for itself.

Sorry this was a little long winded, but I just recently went through all this, so it's still fresh on my mind.

11. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

have a 60 inch and love it...
    much much cheaper then the LCD

12. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

as far as bulb life, , my thought has always been that in 4 years, with new tech. developments, I would be wanting a new set anyway.

does anyone else plan on replacing tv's rather than bulbs?

13. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

14. voteforhank

voteforhank 100+ Posts

I went nuclear and got a Samsung DLP 72 inch 1080p. Its better than children and a close second to sex. (good sex). Its actually better than mediocure sex.
    [​IMG]

15. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

Do the bulbs dim over time, or do they just burn out?

16. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

17. texdude2006

texdude2006 100+ Posts

its the meeeeeeeeeeers

and that damn elephant.

18. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

19. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

I bought an LCD tv recently after comparison shopping all 3 technologies. LCD was the clear winner as far as picture quality. It wasn't cheap, but it is plenty big enough and easily of higher quality than the DLP counterparts.

20. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

21. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

L-C-D.

unless you operate a drive-in, buy an LCD that is appropriately scaled for your living space.

unless you typically view your television from 15', you don't need a 50" TV.

22. MidgetLoverHorn

MidgetLoverHorn < 25 Posts

23. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

If you are looking for bang for the buck then go to a rear projection. I would recommend the Sony unit just as C-Man mentioned. Out of the rear projection sets it will do the best with fast motion, best black level, and a true 1080p, if interested in the technical part of it pm and I will explain.
    An LCD screen and a plasma are going to still have advantages but there is a trade off with each of those such as price and or resolution. As far as saying a 50" at 15' man I don't know where you get that from, but the most used rule of thumb is to take the diagnol and go back twice that which is right around 8-9 feet. Most customers at 10' go 50". Most write ups now are stating to go as big as you have space for that your budget will allow. If you are in Austin or can make it to Austin and I can help you out send me a pm.

24. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Doesn't really matter what you get (ok, thats not true, but it gets the point across)... Get it calibrated and you'll have a better picture than any non-calibrated TV out there.

DLP bulbs cost less than $200 now a days (my old Samsung's bulb was $150... by "old" I mean I bought it 2006). They are starting to have more LED based DLP's which don't dim over time nor do they burn out quickly. But you do pay a premium for those features.

25. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

i have a 50" Samsung DLP 1080i that i bought in 2006; where's the best/quickest place to get replacement bulbs?

26. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

27. RC Didnt Offer

RC Didnt Offer 250+ Posts

What is calibration and where do you get this done?

28. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Calibration consists of balancing the blacks, whites, and the colors so that no one color is dominating. It will adjust sharpness, contrast, etc etc... You can do dvd based calibration but its no where near as accurate or sophisticated as having a professional bring in all his equipment and do it for you.

Two calibrators that are in Texas or planning a tour through Texas:
    The LinkThe Link

29. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

Count me in on the DLP bandwagon. I have a 56" Samsung 1080p, with DirecTV HR20 and a Blu-ray player. The picture is allsome.

I used to sell HDTVs so I have plenty of experience with the different technologies, and DLP is far and away the best bang for the buck. I also like the Sony SXRD picture quality, but it isn't black and white like some would have you believe. Sony has better blacks I think, but most DLP sets have better color. Plus, you can't get a LED bulb on the Sony models yet, so that's another big advantage for the newer Samsungs. Bulbs are in the $150-200 range last time I checked, and you can always just order a spare ahead of time so that you are prepared if it ever burns out at the wrong moment. (like right before a UT game)

30. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

Oh, yeah, what hlaustin said jogged my memory. The Sony SXRD is a "true" 1080p set while the DLP achieves that with mirrors. It's not a true 1080p or something like that. Let Harlan explain. [​IMG]