Are they still building that Wal Mart at northcros

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Ramathorn, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Forget wal mart for a second and pretend like Northcross Mall somehow got all of their **** together and attracted a full array of big box stores and retail.

As has been mentioned on numerous occasions, a fully functioning mall there would generate the same or more traffic than a wal mart will generate. The neighborhood didn't mind when it was a mall, why is it (traffic argument) different now than when it was a mall?

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

There's nothing inherently good about more traffic, but a 10X jump doesn't necessarily signal "urban tragedy".

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

4. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

5. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

6. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i didn't "come clean." my position and argument has been exactly the same since the very beginning. go back and read all my posts

as to my argument being a losing one, i think you mean that people will take "the other side" of that argument to mean that they would oppose mine

if so, then sure, that is true for the people who like to preach to others about what is good and right for other people's neighborhoods. but not when its their neighborhood

7. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

8. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, we are saying the same thing.

9. Orange&White

Actually, I am not saying that at all. I can empathize with the residents about not wanting wal mart there. I can see where they think it is "bad" for their neighborhood, although I don't necessarily think it is as "bad" as they are trying make it seem.

What I am saying is that the neighborhood had YEARS to worry about the situation and did nothing, and probably still would have done nothing if it had been any other tenant.

The only person I have EVER heard honestly say that they don't want it just because it is wal mart is on this thread. Every other argument has been hollow and fake and a pointless tactic to try and stop a legal company from doing what they are perfectly entitled to.

If they want to be mad at someone, they should be honest with themselves and be mad at themselves for not taking a proactive stance to "protect" their neighborhood at any point in the past decade.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

11. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

12. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I grew up in that neighborhood. My folks still live a few blocks away. We lost our grocery store (Market Basket and Handy Andy before that) decades ago, and have had to travel several extra miles over to 183/Ohlen or up to Mesa/Spicewood Springs ever since. Wal Mart will be a welcome addition.

VIVA WAL-MART!

[​IMG]

13. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

Haha...Handy Andy

blast from the past

14. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I used to play the original stand-up Star Wars video game at the Handy Andy while my mom was shopping. Of course, that wasn't nearly as great as The Gold Mine over in Northcross. And then of course there was the Hobby Shop in The Village.

Good times.

15. Orange&White

16. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

17. Orange&White

I am a dork for reviving an old, existing thread rather than starting a brand new one on the same topic? Not to mention a thread that violates posting guidelines by copy/pasting an entire news article.

18. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

Dayum I was only funning with you. Be asured if I was to attack someone I would not use the word Dork. Also good for you on following rules.