Ashcraft, Graham and Kriegel done

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Branyon, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

per AAS:

In other matters, Texas announced that guard Thomas Ashcraft , tight end Trey Graham and defensive tackle Kyle Kriegel , all rising fifth-year seniors who have either graduated or will graduate this spring, have elected to give up their remaining eligibility.

2. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Interesting things happening on the 40.. I'll bet this is just the beginning.

What happens to their 'ships?

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Was their departure already figured into the recruiting numbers? If not, we can sign a few more kids, provided they are the right kind. I've heard a lot of advocates for evaluating kids during their senior season, then making an offer. Maybe some uncommitted prospects have emerged?

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

5. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

"Rising" 5th year seniors? Really??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes. All "rising" fill-in-the -year means is that's the upcoming academic (or in this case athletic) level they have reached. If the article only indicated 5th year senior, there would be people asking why it matters, haven't they already used all their eligibility, and stuff like that.

My daughter (now in 8th grade) would be called a rising HS freshman, my oldest son a rising college Sophomore. The terminology is typically used during the summer break between academic years, but in this case it makes sense because it is the break between football seasons.

7. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

8. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I had high hopes for Ashcraft coming out of high school. Yet another example of our deficiencies in offensive line recruiting and development.

[​IMG]

9. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

10. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

11. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

They are graduating - congrats and job well done. Best of luck with your career endeavors.

Congrats to the school and the football program for sticking with these young men and getting them through school. Job well done also.

I assume these were already factored in since we were on the pace to have around 90 scholarships without attrition, and with these 3 + B. Moore we are somewhere around 86. I expect a couple of more drop-offs and we'll be set in the fall of 2013.

Don't forget that our attrition has averaged 5-6 / year over the last decade. In terms of the impact that the attrition does to the program you must ask yourself 2 questions: who is leaving, and how are we developing the ones who are staying?

12. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

These young men are graduating from a great university. Congratulations are in order for them.

If this opens up ships for this year then I, along with everyone else, hope they will be offered to fine young men who will represent the school well, get a degree and play for an excellent, championship caliber football team. [​IMG]

14. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

15. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and good luck in the future.

16. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Best of luck guys! [​IMG]

17. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

I met Kyle and his family at the spring game before he enrolled at UT. Nice folks. I'm sure Kyle would have liked to have had a better career here, but he's graduating and will do just fine in his chosen field.

18. Finger Likcin'

Finger Likcin' 250+ Posts

19. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

21. houstonearlers

houstonearlers 100+ Posts

When 5th year players have graduated and are not playing much/at all, it makes more sense for them to move on to the next stage. Best of luck to them.

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to all three on graduating and good luck to them. [​IMG]

23. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Congrats to all 3, they indeed received a great degree from a great university. I never figured out the saga of Trey Graham, he was on the team, then injured, then on again last year, but never played. Ashcraft was a very highly rated OL who never started I guess. Kyle was taken as a sleeper and never played to my knowledge.
    Hook'em and Good Luck in your non-football careers.