ATT phone vs. TWC phone -TiVo, number portability

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by tropheus, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

so we're moving and thinking about TWC phone. What's the general deal with it and is it compatible with Series 2 digital Tivo which we currently use our AT&T line for?

Also, what about keeping the same number?

Also, anyone switch from the DSL to roadrunner? How did you migrate email -- we use our sbcglobal.net accounts for storing electronic docs as back up etc, so migrating would be a pain in the butt. We'd like to just pay a few bucks and keep the online account.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

The cable phones can have a little bit more static on the line, which makes it a little unreliable for using dial up modems--like the ones in TiVos and fax machines. From what I understand, it's hit or miss; some people get them to work just fine, some don't.

You could remove the need for TiVo to use the phone line at all, by getting a compatible network adapter for the TiVo, which eliminates its need to use the phone line at all. (Instead, it connects via internet.)

3. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Keeping the same number is no problem. The only time I've had an issue is when I was going to switch back to AT&T and changed my mind. TWC released the number to AT&T and AT&T didn't pick it up, so my number was stuck in limbo for a day or two while the companies figured out who had it and who to give it back to.

4. Rusk

Rusk 250+ Posts

if you have broadband internet, you don't need a phone for TiVo.

5. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

I second the suggestion of hooking up your tivo with broadband. If you do, there are a few extras you get. You can listen to mp3s that are on your computer and I think in the future you'll be able to download movies. However, the best thing about having broadband and tivo is that you can set it up to record shows online. I use that feature a lot when I'm at work and need to record something at home.

6. vy til i die

vy til i die 100+ Posts

downloading movies from amazon to my tivo is teh rulez

7. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

so there is an adapter for broadband via cable to the phone jack input on the TiVo? Sorry, I haven't looked at the back of my TiVo recently. We'll check it out tomorrow when we move.

8. vy til i die

vy til i die 100+ Posts

there is probably an ethernet port on the back.

i bought the wireless adapter off ebay.

9. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

If it's a Series 2, there likely isn't an ethernet port--you'd use a USB adapter. Dual tuner Series 2 models and Series 3 models have an ethernet port.

You'll need a router if you don't have one already, and then one of these:

TiVo wireless adapters

10. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

thanks, we were finally able to move and I took down the TiVo and there is only a USB port, so I'll go that way.

Now, so long as our security system will take digital phone, we're in business saving money!

11. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts