Attrition: Calvin Howell...can anybody confirm???

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by ut1978, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ut1978

ut1978 100+ Posts

Posted on Shaggy Bevo. Does somebody know what's happened? This is not good news.

2. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Think available scholarships [​IMG]

3. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

Per Jesus via the Big Cigar... haven't heard a peep out of Hookem.com other than they are searching it out! Something will give... but hell, that's not the biggest news out there! Since it's NSD tomorrow, I think losing a DT to transfer leads us to there's something more to meet the eye. DT at this time last year was a very big ??? and now Texas has Malcom Brown & 8-10 other DT's or something like that to plug in... Wish him well!

4. futbolfan

futbolfan 25+ Posts

It's just coach Saban making room for some oversigning.

5. WestGAHorn

WestGAHorn 500+ Posts

being reported that he is indeed transferring...

Linky

6. Trifecta

Trifecta 250+ Posts

Why do I get the feeling that there is something more to this story?

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I sure had the highest hopes for this guy coming out of high school.

8. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Hey Tri, I would say it has more to do with the demands of this coaching staff - which is a win win for Texas [​IMG]

Howell was injury riddled and was rumored to be a bit on the lazy side

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I guess he saw all the talent coming and figured he would have to work for playing time now, instead of getting it by default.

10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The kid was a starter, a big body and showed some quickness and made some plays. I hate to lose him, with the other starter, Kheeston, graduating. We did get the juco kid though and Dorsey and Jackson were bound to push him for playing time. Hate to make freshmen contribute in the middle of the d-line, though I can remember some, Casey Hampton, Roy Miller and Doug English ready to be difference makers when they stepped on campus.

11. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Hate to see the kid go. With another year in Diaz's system, I had high hopes he'd put a solid season together. If true, I wish him the best. [​IMG]

12. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Doesn't add up. He was in line to start or at least get a major share of the snaps in a very good defense, playing for a name brand program. There must be more to it, and maybe we will hear about it over time, and maybe not. Or maybe I am completely wrong.

13. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

It is a interesting story in that it wasn't like he wasn't getting playing time. I think we should hold off on speculation until the facts come out. For all we know, it could be family issue that he doesn't want disclosed. Also, Mack has kept a tight ship on info coming out of the program to the point of paranoia. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

14. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

That hurts! It's disappointing how many kids start at Texas and end up elsewhere. Especially starters who get good grades in school.

15. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

That is too bad. Sure we're deep at DT, but he was a projected starter. He's always represented UT well. Hope things work out for him.

16. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I'm not so sure he would have started. Jackson and the JC transfer probably would have a huge say in that. Howell was servicable but I see a lot more in Jackson.

17. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Jason Howell of OB is at the Toshiro Davis press conference. Are we still in play for him with Howell leaving? This is the last one we're going after?

18. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

Mack just confirmed in his presser that Howell is leaving due to personal reasons. Life happens and whatever those reasons are, I hope the young man is OK.

19. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, watching Mack's press conference and listening to him address this situation, it sounds like something happened to make Howell leave the team and the University.

20. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Everything I have read leads me to believe that he pissed away his chances to play at Texas. Sounds like he had some personal issues that prevented him from making some sound choices.