Attrition?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Agree, I think this year it would be better to not go bowling so the coaches can focus on evaluating transfers and the weak character guys can enter the portal in November.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I agree with this 100%, but I think that the point may be oversimplified. I have worked in and led plenty of teams over my career. Culture ABSOLUTELY matters. I typically rate culture fit over talent. A talented employee isn't going to work well with a leader, or team, or coach that isn't a fit. That's what the interview is for, right? Done well, this brings talent and alignment to the team be it sports or the office.

I have a lot more to say on the subject, but I think everyone will agree with you on the get the best coaches and players and win the most games. Hopefully Texas can figure out the culture gap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Sark is probably the most eloquent and disarming HC I have ever watched do a presser. He answers all the questions. Today was amazing. But…

It all comes down to the scoreboard. One can use every excuse or justification in the book. The bottom line is that we are 4-6 and just lost at home to Kansas.

The buck stops at the Head Coach.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

These tidbits here deeper in the piece seem to support Moon's thesis. And, if true, probably a better sign than the alternative...
    (For those who dont want to read it basically says Sark and CDC already discussed this scenario before he took the job...Said to do it right he'd basically have to tear it all down and rebuild and it would take some time.)

Texas football: Kirk Herbstreit opens up on Steve Sarkisian

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Nothing good can really come of going to a turd bowl at this point. Almost a year after taking over this is what we have and a couple extra practice weeks wont improve anyone. I agree. Let the good ones rest and heal, get rid of the scabs and search for better players or at least players who will buy in to the culture Sark says he's building.

• Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

A. Texas will not win out, so a Bowl won't be in the cards.

Secondly. No one turns down a Bowl if they win 6 games. Why does this topic always come up? Well, because Texas sucks so bad it is a topic to discuss, that's why. But, extra practices, etc., Texas would not turn down a Bowl.

But, we won't have to worry about that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Friendly reminder: please keep the “woke” (politics) stuff where it belongs. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I know we’re 4-6 and we suck. I know we have major culture problems. My hope is Sark can recruit the 33-34 players to replace our seniors and future transfer portal players. Considerable roster turnover would be good IMHO. Too much dead wood right now. This is a rebuild and Sark is the right man for this job. I have prolly said some things more knee jerk about Sark during this 5 game losing streak. He should stay, we can’t keep changing the coaching staff including PK. They didn’t even get to recruit these players, outside of Worthy and some late transfers. These are Herman’s players. I think there will be improvement next year. Sark needs 3-5 years to rebuild this! Hopefully Texas is bowl eligible by week 9 or 10 next year. I had too high of expectations when the season started!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ask yourself - Would Sabre go to Nowhere, Montana to see Texas play Ball State in the Moose Bowl (Seating Capacity 1,000) in 10 degree with blowing snow weather?

Sark's words were, " ... we are going to play hard in these last two games and then get ready for Spring." A bowl game gets you 10 extra days of practice (about 30 hours). 30 hours of much-needed S&C (not limited) is a better use of time plus you do not have to worry about on-the-field injuries in practice or in a game that you end up having to pay your way into.

11. horninchicago

Yes.

They won't win 6, but if they did, that is the benchmark for a Bowl. They would not turn it down. And, they would deserve, just as every other crap *** 6 win team does, to go to said Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

If the intention is truly to clean house, what benefit is there to extra practice for a bunch of players that (hopefully) won't be part of the program anyway?
    With that said, yes, they would happily accept a bid to the turdiest of turdy turd bowls. Anywhere that a $ can be made.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

1) The extra practice gives the puppets three weeks to spread their hate one last time.

2) Schools actually lose money on some of these toilet bowls. We guarantee X number of tickets sold, and people don't want to waste their money

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. horninchicago

But what is the supposed effect on recruits if a program turns down a Bowl?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

The Big 12 has six bowl tie-in's. Teams don't have option to say no. Moot point as I don't see us winning another game. Players have checked out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. horninchicago

Yep, I have said that too.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

ou
    Baylor
    ISU
    oSu
    Tceh
    K-State

Your six, but most seasons there are conferences that cannot fulfill their bowl commitments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

DKR was the best I ever saw at pressers. He was head on, honest, humble and did not duck responsibility. Level headed, grounded, incredibly intense in a quiet solid way that emanated strength.

In a way Sark's presser persona reminds me of DKR.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Refusal tells recruits, “do your job, be coached up, win, & this program will always be in the top 6 bowls”

As for the Big XII, one more opportunity to tell that dumb **** Bowelsby to stick it up his ***. He destroyed the Big XII with his stupidity, let him live with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. I_Dont_Exist

Chip Brown reporting Tyler Johnson and Montrell Estelle dismissed from team.

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh dear, just because I’m a nosy old fart I’d sure like to know the dirt here. Both honor role recognition kids too. I would say positions we need but then that doesn’t necessarily exclude anyone now.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

IDE,

Can you get confirmation? It is Chip Brown. Both players are still listed on roster by The University.

23. I_Dont_Exist

Apparently he said.it in report you have to pay to read. Some posters at 247 board commented on it.

24. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Actions speak louder than words.

25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I have been hearing and reading quite a few supposed "insider" reports that Sarks roster overhaul is real and we will be seeing changes starting now and through the offseason and camp into Fall...the question is how much this season and to what degree now and in the offseason. Not a question of if but only how much how fast and how big.

• Like Like x 1
  26. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Dam isnt Johnson one of our highest rated OL recruits on team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I've not been able to find anything corraborating this report.
    Both still on the roster as of this morning.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  28. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Yes, but to date, he's been a huge bust. I don't think he's played more than a handful of snaps over the past couple seasons.